FerrariChat.com update - Day 1 Poll | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com update - Day 1 Poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Thoughts about the FerrariChat update - Day 1?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2017.
  1. Do Not Like - FerrariChat was better before and not acceptable.

88 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Do Not Like - Acceptable especially with optional Old style.

53 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Indifferent - Positive & negatives about equal.

38 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Like - Growing on me, more positives than negatives.

34 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. Like - Major improvements.

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is our first poll about the updated and redesigned FerrariChat. Please vote and you are welcome to provide your general non-bug specific comments. We will do these periodically to monitor trends. Thanks!

2. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Forced ads for Rossa subscribed members seems like a punishment!

dinogts, Evolved and Albert-LP like this.
  3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Voted indifferent for now, will probably change to Like in the future, after stuff is straightened out.

My issues thus far:

1) How to view more than 20 posts per page (Old Fchat let you view 100 posts/page in a thread).
    2) Ads, as others have mentioned. The between post ads are annoying.

dinogts, rob lay and Albert-LP like this.
  4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    It's new. I need to get used to some things first I guess. I'll wait before I vote. But:

The right hand margin space is a complete waste. I do not care who is online or what the recent posts are....can we toggle that?
    Viewing this on a 27 - 30" monitor is like a sea of wasted screen space...old or new view template, although the old is better
    I have some SP10 on my face now and may need to move to SPF 30 at lunch. Man this is one bright white background.
    The avatar mess has already been beaten to death. I do miss the old style.

It will be fine in the end and change had to happen.

rodbuster, carguyjohn350 and Mbutner like this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #5 Albert-LP, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    is there the possibility to have a black background? I don't see almost anything with the current colors, they I don't like at all

thank you very much

ciao

EDIT: or, at least, darken the writing color

EDIT 2: the ads among posts are a shame. If the forum is for free, that's ok. But as I have to pay, no, they aren't ok at all

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I'm indifferent about the new vs old style per se, but what is totally annoying is the amount of ads that seriously degrade the reading and user experience. Makes the whole thing seem like any other cheap Internet forum out there.

I get that this is an attempt to monetize your audience (not at all criticizing this!), but it may make sense to offer members the possibility of a no ads experience at a given subscription level (Rossa or some new, potentially higher level). Is this in the works? If so, please sign me up, otherwise you're likely to see less of me around this wonderful community you've built.

Cheers!

Ruben

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #7 johnk..., Sep 8, 2017
    I commented on other threads about the wasted space at the right with either style. Also, with the new style anything quoted appears in light blue font which is difficult, at best, to read, and the text is generally smaller, or so it appears. I preferred the old format. The new board is "acceptable" when Old Style is selected, but, as noted, the space at the right is a waste of page width.

Seems consistent with Ferrari though; fixing things that aren't broken for no good reason other than they are old. And then, it needs to be fixed again, and again, and again.....

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    repeat #21 - this is a bug. :) well, the in-between posts one, there is no more ad space for Rossa than before.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    repeat #22 - this is a bug. :) well, the in-between posts one, there is no more ad space for Rossa than before.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I agree the space at the right wants me to move the left side of the page over to full width but no can do.
    Not comfortable with this set up. The former Fchat was like a comfortable pair of slippers...

dinogts and carguyjohn350 like this.
  11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Is there a way to "collapse" subforums like on the old software? I kept the classifieds collapsed so subscribed sections were closer to the top of the page. OCD I know but helpful when viewing on a phone.

otherwise it looks good and seems to be working well. I like the "classic" view format, thanks for keeping it :)

anunakki likes this.
  12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm not sure why the old design couldn't have been kept but modernized at the same time?

Why are there big colored boxes below the screen names saying for example under Robs name "staff member", professional Ferrari technician, owner"?

It doesn't flow at all and seems out of place and unnecessary. And I agree with all the extra space to the right. I think there's something still not finished. I've attached a screenshot of the top of my screen where my screename is.

I feel like I'm using a mobile site and not a desktop site.

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    First of all I totally appreciate the need for the new software. As the internet changes you need a platform that is being supported. In addition I think the new site has some strong points and with time will get there (as will our comfort with it)

My biggest issue at present is the forum not being full width. The right side series of banners primarily give really unimportant information and occupy valuable screen space in doing so. I think the biggest single improvement would be to do away with all of the side info and go back to full width.

of2worlds, SpyderGT and Dave rocks like this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not supported for 10+ years, a major bug or hack as server side softwares and browsers change with 15 year old code = time bomb.

WJHMH likes this.
  15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Apple has decreed: Desktops are un-computers. ;)

Only $300/mo phones are permitted, comrade. :p

I agree with the complaints about the contrast.
    Some of us have some hard miles on our eyes. ;)

Martin308GTB and rugby like this.
  16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The font needs to be larger and BOLD. It's a bit difficult to read, even on a big monitor.

I agree with others that the right side of the screen is wasted space.

I'm anxious to see/explore new features.

rugby likes this.
  17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Seems like everything comes up as un-read. Is there a way to mark everything as read so only truly unread posts are highlighted as such?

18. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    It's better on mobile devices. That's a welcome change. Search seems to work better.

Good job.

rob lay likes this.
  19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The editor seems to have lost the "preview post" option.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I cant seem to see how to collapse the right column
    I dont like that at all

:)

21. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I changed to the "old" format for color and contrast. A little easier on my old eyes. Don't like the right sidebar - for ads or blank space - waste of screen area. Too many ads generally or maybe they're just more noticeable with the right sidebar rather than horizontal - although we now are confronted with both horizontal and sidebar ads.. Primarily use lap top, sometimes iPad, sometimes phone when on F-Chat.

22. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Is the tapatalk login error since the upgrade a known issue?

23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but will mention again, are we to expect the ultra-spammy clickbait ads are now the new norm? I really did not mind the level of ads in the old FChat, and did not mind their content, but the new ads just annoy the **** out of me. I already know how to pay off my mortgage.

Mark

24. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #24 ME308, Sep 8, 2017
    Rob, one thing that might come in handy ...
    the new software should allow to open an extra windows for the "alert" function

for ex.
    when I drag the mouse over my user name in the right upper corner, a window opens with all the options

same should be possible if I drag the mouse only over the green "alerts" button
    a window should open showing only the "alerts" - without clicking on the alert option -
    so it would be easy to navigate instantly from this window

maybe that could be a nice additional feature ;)

25. texas43

texas43 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andre Cannizzaro
    I use an iPhone 6S and when I turn the phone to portrait mode the posters name is removed.