Porsche 911 for a Repairable Ferrari | FerrariChat

Porsche 911 for a Repairable Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JShalomo, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JShalomo

JShalomo Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Jeff Sh.
    Have a 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 with clean title and in good shape (105k miles). What are the chances of trading it straight up for a Repairable Ferrari?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Alright man, you are going to not like this.

A 2001 996 has that famous IMS problem and one of that variation is worth less than $20K. Less I think. I have a busted 996 sitting in my driveway right now waiting for a donor engine. A basket 308GT4 with rusted panels and engine that does not run sold for $23K. A repairable 308GTSi runs north of $25K. Those are the low end ones. A repairable 348 is $30K, a repairable F355 is $35K.

Repairable means it has dents, scratches, major service needed, but starts up and drives OK. If you are looking for a total basket case with a big accident damage, well then that car gets sold to a junk yard for $20K.

So, there is no straight up exchange for a 996 to any Ferrari. Change that to a 993, Carrera, 964RSA, now we are talking.

dc3843 likes this.
  3. JShalomo

JShalomo Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Full Name:
    Jeff Sh.
    Thanks for the response Yelcab. I actually rebuilt the engine with all new Genuine Porsche parts (except I used JE pistons and original crank and cam shafts...) did it 2.5 years ago and have only put on 3k miles since. Obviously replaced IMS and kept all receipts....Would love to take on a 308, 348 or 355 rebuild as the next project car though :) I already downloaded the 308 engine rebuild manual...lol

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The 996 is the black sheep of the 911 line up and the prices reflect it. The other issue you run into is base 997 prices are in the $25-35k range and is a superior car to the 996 in every respect. Your car with the miles is going to come in around $25k....with the rebuilt engine. The plus side is its a 4S with the wider body.

Now the biggest hurdle is the price of factory parts for the rebuild on the Ferrari. My past cars are 911SC, 4 964's, 2 Testarossas and a 997 C4S. Your best bet is to sell the 996 and find a Fcar owner who just wants to dump his auto.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #5 I'm 360 Canuck, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    There was a rusted out 308 for sale on this site for about that value last year. repairable is pretty vague. Anything with a rebuildable title can be repaired if you throw enough money at it. And a Ferrari will test your limits at that. In all likelihood at that price point, you would have been better off buying one in better shape and saving yourself the aggravation and time.
    High mileage 996's are a dime a dozen, respectfully.

But it would take a while to find someone with a similar offering to that rusted out 308 that would accept a trade instead of cash and your car specifically.
    Looking for trades IMO is usually a waste of time. Sell and buy. And buy a car you really like, not just the cheapest thing with a more prestigious badge than what you currently own, because it probably won't be a better car.

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Best to sell yours and save a bit more to get a Ferrari. That's what I did. Doubtful you will find someone willing to trade. I had a 996 also. Good luck.

7. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Beverly Hills Car Club has a non-running 456 GTA with a Salvage title that is listed for $29k. You could probably get it for $25k, so maybe not an even swap, but pretty close.

8. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    01 definitely IMS prone. And C4s not appealing unless it's a DD for someone. Sell privately to less knowledgeable crowd. F folks may have garage Queens but are mostly car enthusiasts and revere resell values which is another 996 achilles heel

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sorry am late to the party..

might be able to do a Mondial that needs alot of love and some work. Unloved Porsche for unloved Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have to agree this is the easiest route. Heck, Mondial's are so low priced, you can probably keep em both!

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Trade the Porsche for cash then trade the cash for a Ferrari.