FF Suspension Lift Failure | FerrariChat

FF Suspension Lift Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by MedinaCustomClassics, Sep 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    I just had my pump go out on my 2014 FF (the pump for the suspension lift system). The Ferrari service people tell me it is approximately $11K to fix. It's because the newer FFs (I guess 15 and 16) plus the GTC4Lusso use a different pump system, so here's the breakdown:

1. New style pump $5,800
    2. Bracket to hold the new pump and components $1,200
    3. Software for the new pump to talk to the old system $1,800
    4. Labor and misc $2,000 (approx.).

I'm thinking I will source a new "old" pump. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks.

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Bummer. 2014 not under warranty?

3. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Do you know what year they made the component update? Curious if my Sept 2014 (MY 2015) has the old or the new. I use my lift system every day.

4. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Yeah Brian, the main 3 year warranty ended 4/17, bummer indeed.

5. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Sorry Tupps11, I don't know when they switch to the new pump sytem for the FFs.

6. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  7. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    Perfect example of why any vehicle over $100K , you should always always purchase the extended warrantee! Ferrari now offers 15 year on certain cars, You bet your lower backside when my GTC4Lusso V12 gets stateside... I'll be buying that for sure!

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I don't see that the New Power warranty would cover that as it is not listed in the covered components ... best move if you are keeping the car is to extend the new car warranty for two years, which you can only do before the original warranty expires ... cost is comparable to the New Power warranty but coverage is far more comprehensive.

9. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    Thats what I meant. I always always always max out the miles and years new car warrantee , powertrain, wheel & tire coverage contracts/protection plans, on any vehicle purchase over $100K, they have always saved my lower backside in the long run.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    go to an independent shop - it will be half the price

11. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    You're right vjd3, it's not part of the New Power warranty. And to respond to Cwazydwiver, when I purchased the car from Newport Beach Ferrari, they told me it had Ferrari's extended warranty, so I just thought I was covered. It was only after I had owned the car for a couple of months did I realize there where different warranties and I got the crap one. I guess the lesson is drill down on everything to the n'th degree when you are spending money. Every entity is a business, whether is is a bank, a doctor, a hospital, heck - even a church, including a reputable Ferrari dealership. They are there not as a hobby, but as a money-making enterprise, so "buyer beware" and do your research. Oh well, hopefully I can source a new "old style" pump and cut my cost in 1/2 or 1/3. Thanks for the input guys!

12. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    ttforcefed, the labor is minimal, what is driving the cost is the parts and the fact that they are proposing to convert the old pump system to the new system.

13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The original lift pump in the FF was made in the USA (can't remember the supplier), but it has a design flaw that causes it to leak/fail. That is why Ferrari updated the pump to a Magneti Marelli unit. The new lift pump requires a new bracket kit, ECU, adapter harness. It is not much fun to replace, as the access is very limited. I would not consider trying to find an old pump as you are probably going to have the same issue in the future. There is a reason why they updated the pump (because the old one is junk). Spend the extra money on the new system and you will never have to deal with it again.

14. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The original lift pump in the FF was made in the USA (can't remember the supplier), but it has a design flaw that causes it to leak/fail. That is why Ferrari updated the pump to a Magneti Marelli unit. The new lift pump requires a new bracket kit, ECU, adapter harness. It is not much fun to replace, as the access is very limited. I would not consider trying to find an old pump as you are probably going to have the same issue in the future. There is a reason why they updated the pump (because the old one is junk). Spend the extra money on the new system and you will never have to deal with it again. You might be able to find an independent to install the new pump/kit, but they will need a proper diagnostic computer that can communicate with both the lift and suspension systems in order to bleed the air out of the system after the repair and sync the new lift ECU to the car. Don't be penny wise/pound foolish by trying to fit an old pump.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can you just let it be and not use the lift system?

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think this is great advice. In the end you might up having to do 2x the labor here.

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, you could just leave it be and not use the lift system. Then the suspension will just function as it would on a car without the system.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thats my solution when my goes - i dont use the lifter at all these days. the car has plenty of height with oem suspension

19. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Same height as a Mercedes sedan

20. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Does it not give an error at startup or just when you press the button? That would suck to pay $10k for an updated pump repair etc

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    +1. Indeed, just ignore the message if everything is working the same. The car is at the same height even after sitting for an extended period, without slumping down as with airmatic on Mercedes.