250 GTO 4399 Crashed at Goodwood Revival. | FerrariChat

250 GTO 4399 Crashed at Goodwood Revival.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by miurasv, Sep 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #1 miurasv, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    as there are many replicas racing at GR......this could be one of them.
    They also brought their 250 GTO "#4399R" 1962 model.
    some replica 250 SWB racing there as well

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    nope thats the real deal.. but no worries, it will be fixed, bit of unfolding aluminium, and some paint and its as good as new

Mark020 likes this.
  4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    did you check the s/n and chassis yourself?

lots of replicas out there
    The list is too long lol

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Needs a new steering wheel as well!!! Video of the crash here:

gt4me likes this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I understand it is the real one with a replica body....What a shame they still pretend like it's 1964... I was watching a E Type video of them slipping around in the rain. It does not matter with the replicas but cars like this it does.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #7 miurasv, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Shmee was told this replica of 4399 when it had its 62 body was real but with a new body and got driven around the track by Dario Franchiti. It's even got a plaque on the gearbox tunnel with all the races that the real 4399 entered. He may not have read it properly though. It may say it's a tribute car. I could make out the name Terry Hoyle. See from about 1.50 and 16.50.

8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Cars are badly crashed every year at Goodwood during those stupid races. Let's hope that another skilled "carrozziere" can fix this wrong replica body correctly now.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Even the very early cars blessed by Classiche don't have bodywork that matches the original. You need look no further than the current issue Aug/Sept of Cavallino magazine to see the compromised styling details that don't match with the period photographs.

crinoid likes this.
  10. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The inside story from Goodwood: the claim is being made there that the car that crashed is in fact the replica 330, and that the car wearing 62-style bodywork is in fact 4399. i.e. the bodies have been swapped.

I cannot possibly believe this would be true. The 64-style body has been on 4399 for 99% of its life. Surely the car that crashed *is* 4399 (replica '64 body or not), and the 62-style car 'WER 5' is in fact 6713 as we all assume.

This is also what the DVLA believes, so they'll be interested to learn if that's not the case...

-Ed

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The car that Shmee was driven in by Franchiti at Goodwood, WER 5, has the Terry Hoyle plaque on the gearbox tunnel.

SefacHotRodder likes this.
  12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Sad to see this but as you said, bit of unfolding aluminium, and some paint and its as good as new.

These cars were made to race.

gt4me likes this.
  13. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Sure thing. Just race it and race it and race it.
    Beat the life out of it to no end, until there's not one scrap of original car left. You own it, you can destroy it! Genius.

*To be clear, I don't mean this as a personal attack in response to your comment.

14. Nike

Nike Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Niklas
    So the car that Shmee rides in with Dario is also owned by Bamford?

15. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The plaque in the car itself can be read in the video. It states:

"This completely accurate tool room re-creation of Ferrari GTO chassis number 4399 was made by Terry Hoyle ex Maranello Concessionaires Senior Race Engineer, Chassis number 6713 in 1985."

The chassis number is correct. It is 6713GT. The rest of it makes it sound like it was initially built up as a tribute to 4399GT, which is nonsense. The car was originally conceived as 330 GTO replica, inspired by 4561SA, which is why it originally had the 330-style bonnet bulge. Looks like history is being rewritten to suit how the car is now painted...

-Ed

16. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I dont think the crash damage was that bad and I can see both sides of the divide regarding racing them, I am still in favour of actually using them to do what they are designed for and if they get a little damaged, so be it. As for fakes, only us anoraks really care that much as to exactly how authentic they are, for many spectators its just about good racing between iconic classic cars and I can't see anything too wrong with that.

gt4me likes this.
  17. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    The crashed car is surely a real GTO, just rebodied to Series II body by Scaglietti in 1963.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #18 miurasv, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ...all Shmee had to do was read the plaque to know the car is a replica. Surely he read it???? Also I can understand a plaque with the list of races on the real thing, but on a replica of it....

19. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I am at Goodwood. Alain deCadenet just talked to our group. The 250 GTO was definitely a replica. Alain said that Lord Banford and many others realized that you cannot race these old cars and ever win a race. Most of the other cars we see have severe modifications today.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It would be interesting to know if it's a scratch built replica with a brand new engine and chassis or based on the chassis/engine of another Ferrari????

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    1985... So where has the real 4399 been all those years? Locked up? 4399 is one of my favorite Ferraris. Too bad it turns out that I've never seen the real thing...:(

Edit: just saw the Schmee video and now I'm confused. why is there a plaque in WER5 about 4399? :?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That's a different replica that Tourquespeak was talking about. He was talking about the replica that Shmee was taken out in by Franchiti; the supposed tribute to the 62 bodied version of 4399. Ken was referring to the 64 bodied 250 GTO that crashed in the race being a replica of 4399 too.

Replicas everywhere.....

of2worlds likes this.
  23. FabioitaliaFerrari

BANNED

Jun 15, 2015
    Marcel Massini, we need your help.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Alain raced in the Kinrara Trophy race which had nine
    250 SWB Ferraris. The top seven spots went to Jaguars, many of them altered for the race.

So the bottom line is "Do not believe all that you see".
    This is from Alain DeCadenet who was in one of the SWB cars. He was the first SWB to cross the line--
    8th position.
    Ken Goldman

of2worlds likes this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's supposed to be a tribute to it. Silly listing all the races that the replica didn't participate in, imo.