Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f149

f149 Rookie

Dec 23, 2016
    Thank you chbit63 for sharing this presentation video :)

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont see any bit of ferrari in it. Not a bad looking car but not a ferrari.

3. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I think the car looks fantastic, however when it comes time to cross the pond to the US it will have those ugly side markers on the bumpers that for some reason out of all the manufacturers Ferrari still hasn't figured out a way to integrate with the headlights - and the cars most certainly will not be as low height wise as these Euro spec launch cars.

4. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Is the chassis actually based on the new modular platform?

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes it is a brand new Ferrari that will also form the basis for the replacement of the 488 model. It can be mid front engine or rear engine design platform. It is more versatile.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I always find it funny when Ferrari brags about stuff they put in their cars that others have had for years.

Touch split screen TFT! Wow....! Too bad my Mini beat them to it by 5 years.

In fact I am disappointed they didn't get rid of the center TFT and go the way of the Alfa Guilia. Much cleaner looking and would give this car less of an Audi look.

I just can't get into the front end. Looks like every car on the road today. It needed to be more Ferrari and it isn't. After such a long wait from the first (Maserati) California, it's a disappointment. It could have been so much more.

A Ferrari should be more than just "not a bad looking car". It needs to be brilliant.

7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Hm, I hoped they would have come with a more special solution for the next generation mid-engined sports car.

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I was looking at the profile pictures below of the California and the California T and the Portofino is definitely a big design improvement and IMO the most beautiful of the three.
    Someone mentioned before that the Portofino reminds him a smaller F12 and in order to verify that below there is a picture of the two models side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

NZCREW, Maggio23 and Maadalfa like this.
  9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I totally agree with you that it is certainly the best of the three, clearly demonstrated by your side by side images. I am surprised at the not all together positive reaction to the new car and whilst it is always difficult to adapt to the new, this is such a clear aesthetic improvement, let alone mechanical, unlike the F12/812, that I would have thought it would be an almost unanimous hit. Sales seem to suggest it is with at least an equivalent delivery delay to a 488 in the U.K., if not longer.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Great discussion, thank you all! I really appreciate all the pics and information. I was hoping to be there but couldn't make it.

I think it very much looks like a modern Ferrari.

Growing up I'll never forget family friends saying things like- oh that BBi doesn't sound like a real Ferrari. And it doesn't look like one either! Yet, we look back today and people consider the car a classic.

Will we come to say the same for the Portofino? Way too soon to tell.

I think the PF is very very well done. To my mind, it is the perfect entry Ferrari GT.

I agree Ferrari has made their newer models look a little bit more similar to each other, but this has been happening before the Portofino. In some ways they have always had a family look. I don't see it as a bad thing. I don't think they are anywhere near Aston levels of similarity. (I guess if you have a good looking car, its not so bad to copy the style on the other models!)

For my part I see some FXX-K and SP275 RW in the design. I see a little F12. I see GTC4. I don't see much California in the Portofino. I think the roofline is brilliant. So much more integrated.

And the technical improvements are really exciting. I think its a great looking car- and I expect a great driving car.

I have to say well done to Ferrari!

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    After the previous post with the Californias and the Portofino profile views below are the front and the rear views and finally an upper side view (Portofino/California T).

IMO the design evolution of the front is evident with the Portofino showing a strong personality more like the bigger brothers. I always found the rear of the first Cali a bit messy and the Cali T showed already a substantial design improvement. In the Portofino by spacing more apart the rear lights and kind of simplifying everything, I believe Ferrari achieved an excellent combination and result. (The rear picture of the Portofino shown is the only one I found available and as soon as a better one exists it will be substituted).

Finally the last pictures with the top side views of the Portofino and the California T. I think these pictures show well how good the new design is and having been in occasions a critic of Flavio Manzoni and an unconditional admirer of PininFarina house, in this case the man from Sardinia made me change my mind. I believe the reason why many of us are Ferraristas is because this brand kept us always dreaming about the next Ferrari, model after model. Sometimes in the past the reality hasn't been like our dreams but this time I see no reason to complain. Bravo Ferrari……...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    MDEL Couldn't agree more. You can see the changes over time from the initial Cal to today. It's amazing what just moving the rear lights outboard, along with the exhausts, can give a much better look. just transforms the rear of the car. They do seem to have narrowed the rear roof line and given it a smaller window but this may just be the photos.

Bravo Ferrari indeed.

Anyone hear what UK delivery is like on this? Am seriously thinking about it.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great comparison there MDEL !!! Thanks for putting all those images together.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #89 Traveller, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    I think late 2nd early 3rd quarter 2018

kevinof likes this.
  15. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I thought I'd share a dream I woke from last night. I dreamed that Ferrari unveiled a 2-seat, soft-top convertible version of the Portofino. This is what happens when the last thing you've read before falling asleep is FerrariChat!

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent Mario! Thank you!

17. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks - Better than I thought. I had 2019 in my head. My Tesla will have to see me through the summer then! :)

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    With any style change, our eye is forced to change with the times.
    Ferrari is addressing both design innovation while responding to criticisms about the prior 2 models.

The redesigned rear end is an immediate success. The rear is now very visually attractive.

Rear lights mounted to fixed panels which now can function are much needed improvement in terms of safety and aesthetics as they eliminate the clutter of the previous lower turn signal lamps.

As far as the interior, better infotainment and modernized steering wheel design both borrowed from the other latest models namely. Lusso and 812 are also improvements.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Would love to see the Portofino in yellow standard and triple, as well as the bright metallic blue corsa.
    Obviously this car wears white, silver, gray, black and red colors exceeding well.

20. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    I less fond of the head lights, especially the LED daylight, when it turn on it looks too short and too little, like very short eyebrows :( the same problem with 812, very long size of headlamp shape, but little size of LEDs inside and just few tiny LED light balls, somehow too simple and wasted of spaceo_O they all have unattractive headlights. Headlamps are like our eyes, if you don't have beautiful eyes how could you be more attractive? I suggest they put more work on the headlamps, use the matrix beam technology would be better looking ;)

21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Great comparison. Shows the big time reduction in visual mass. The girl has definitely gone on a diet and has started to work out. The back end especially. Went from the worst looking back end to the best looking back end. :)

-F

22. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looking at this useful comparison (thanks Mario), I only now realise what a poor design the original Cali was and which now just looks very old, certainly not a design history will view kindly.

23. pitonisheee

pitonisheee Karting

Jan 3, 2017
    Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Hetmanski

Ferrari Portofino from the 8:00

24. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Big time! The comparison really shows how far the design has come. Thanks again MDEL for posting it up.

Look at the face of the CA 30. No offense but...that fat face is not pretty. Fat face, fat butt, fat thighs.

Sometimes the new models make us opine for the old. I don't think that will happen with the CA/Portofino. The new design is WAY better than the old.

-F

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks for posting. That's really 9 minutes of chatting but at 8 minutes in you get 2 minutes of up-close footage of the car that is excellent.