Vintage Miniature Dash Lights | FerrariChat

Vintage Miniature Dash Lights

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Im working thru my dash restoration on the Ellena and pulled out the orig dash/gauge bulbs.

They are the 2.5W / 12 volt type, one center contact point on the bottom with 2 studs on the side.

Im wondering if i should go for more wattage for a brighter light, or go LED - and if i go LED will the
    dimmer still work?

Anyone have any experience with swapping dash lights and operation?

Thanks in advance...

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    A word of warning - if you increase the wattage you will increase the heat the bulbs give out and you may melt and colored plastic that is in front of the bulb. Don't ask how I know! New 2.5W bulbs will be brighter anyway. Another trick, if you don't mind the dimmer not working, is to run a wire between the dimmer terminals so that the dimmer is in effect bypassed. This prevents voltage drop across the dimmer.

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks - was concerned about that....what about LED's, do they have a suitable replacement?

4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    There should be a number at the base of the bulb, the part that bayonets into the connector. You can use that number to check what the equivalent LED might be. I have a couple of vintage cars with LED bulbs retrofitted to the instruments. It makes a huge difference in the visibility of the instruments.

5. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I have always kept away from lED lights as the color is much too white and inappropriate for the vintage look.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I had my Daytona changed to Led lights, I just could not see the gauges at night, and I had bypassed the dimmer.
    They removed my baypass and now the dimmer works with the LED's.
    They could always be changed back if necessary.
    Now all the gauges are clear to see, no one other than me would know, and I would rather be able to see the gauges than not.

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I see the LED's now have a variety of white, so the soft white is somewhat comparable to the originals.

As said earlier, up the wattage will create issues with heat and additional amps....ill get a few styles of the LED's
    and see what the outcome looks like.

The are a 9MM bulb base, the ones i took out of the car are labeled Leuci, i believe. No number on them, so i assumed
    orig bulbs from 58.