Service TPMS Warning Light | FerrariChat

Service TPMS Warning Light

Discussion in '360/430' started by CChung, Sep 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    Just got the "Service TPMS" warning light on my 2008 430. Does that usually mean one of the sensors have gone bad? I'm the original owner and never replaced the sensors and I understand expected battery life is usually 5 years. I also have the original tires so it might be a good time to replace them even though they have a lot of tread left. If it is the sensors, once they're replaced will the warning light turn off by itself or do I need to clear it with a SD3 computer? I believe any reputable tire shop can do the work, especially if I'm going to replace the tires at the same time. Thanks for any replies.

2. timba

timba Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Same thing happened on my 2008 a few weeks ago. I'll know more in a few weeks when I have time to get them changed.

3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    same thing happened to me as well. Read extensively on this a few weeks back, appears many are able to get OEM sensors from ebay or amazon for much less and they work without SD3....sensors appear to be diff types from post 2007 and pre 2007 cars

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The batteries in the sensors typically last 4-5 years. Best to replace them all at this point.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My 08 sensors went belly up this year as well. As mentioned, replace them all at the same time. Aftermarket are much cheaper than OEM. You do not need an SD3. The car will reset automatically and pick up the new signals.since it's an 08.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Sensors are bad. Replace all four. If your car is a 2008, they should be plug and play. Install new sensors and test drive the car. It should recognize and calibrate the system automatically. The ECU will be set to look for the pressures that were for the tires originally installed on the car. If you look at your owners manual, you can see that Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone all have different recommended pressures. The ECU can be set with an SD3 for the different types of tires/pressures. But they are so close, that is doesn't really matter. Typically the Bridgestone pressure are higher than the other two. It might set a warning sooner if your car had Bridgestones on it.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you want to do this yourself, which basically means ordering the sensors, connecting a usb device to your laptop and clicking a few mouse presses you can save yourself a lot of $ and get your local tire dealer to fit them.

You can find these sensors as unprogrammed 'blanks' and then re-program them to your car using freely provided software. The sensors cost only about $25 each or thereabouts doing it DIY. and the device to program it is inexpensive too at around $50, although you do need your own laptop or pc running Windows to us it.

Search for Autel MaxTPMS Pad (for the programmer) and MX Sensor for the individual sensors. For the us cars you need to order black sensors (which are 315MHz) and for European cars the 433MHz sensors (which are orange). Look at aliexpress and you can find sellers offering these prices and deliveries within 5 days to the USA. Great thing about this approach is;

1) you don't get ripped off!
    2) you can get them fitted by your local tire dealer for typically less than $10 a wheel (dont forget to get them balanced after fitting too)
    30 You can use the same sensors to fit on pretty much any other car (majority of cars which require TPMS sensors) so very useful bit of inepensive kit to keep in your garage...

E.g.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Autel-MaxiTPMS-PAD-Plus-4pcs-Autel-MX-Sensor-433MHz-15MHZ-Programmable-TPMS-Sensor-Free-DHL/32533951196.html

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Are the batteries replaceable? If so, what are the replacements?

I've never checked to see if you could do that instead of replacing the sensors.

9. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    You're right about the split year.

OEM and aftermarket TPMS sensors can be installed by any local tire shop without special equipment. They synchronize to the car automatically.

We did have trouble with aftermarket sensors on the late 2007-2009 models. Ended up going with OEM. Have had success using aftermarket sensors with Discount Tire's help on pre-2007 F430s.

I would recommend going forward with all 4, unless you're prepared to visit the tire shop again as the others begin to fail. If you're going to go ahead and replace all 4 tires, it makes sense to do them at the same time and avoid paying labor twice (IMHO).

If you don't want to do that, most tire shops have TPMS scanners that can narrow down which sensor is failing specifically.

Luckily, TPMS issues rarely amount to much more than sensors failing :)

Good luck!
    -Meagan

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If you use the Autel kit I described it doesn't matter about years because you can just 'clone' a working sensor....

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    They are encased in resin and soldered in. Some people have done it but its so much messing around its simply not worth it for $25 which is the cost of a blank sensor..

12. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
  13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I suggest you switch off the master switch for 5 minutes and then turn it on again. Most of the times that will solve the issue :)

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i remember seeing a video like this on youtube but it's a lot of work.u have to cut the sensor open and pop another battery in and glue it back lol

15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
  16. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    USA cars are 433mhz will auto reset no tools needed

Attached Files:

17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Are you sure? Doesn't sound right to me...

TPMS signals are transmitted on 433MHz band in Europe, and at 315MHz in most other parts of the world including USA.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    FYI, this was the case for me.

19. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Yes. I have 6 Ferrari's and my own tire machine and balancer. I've been swapping these on my cars myself recently. See the photo I posted of the factory sensor. They are 433mhz and all my cars are USA cars

20. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Oct 2007 Build date
    No calibration button
    Had the big TPMS error flashing, replaced all 4 and within a minute of starting the car the warnings all went away.

21. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    That's great to know. Thanks everyone for your informative replies! I just ordered from Tire Rack four sensors, that are 433 MHz, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires since it'll be a good time to replace all the tires and sensors at the same time. The original tires still have a lot tread left but was told given their age, over nine years old, that I should replace them after 5-6 years.

22. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Jut replaced all min yesterday after a month of mystery why onlt 3 were working. with AFTERMARKET . Dealer found 08 is a split year so I replaced with the Masertai ones at ealer and worked perfect

WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!

23. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    Today I replaced all four tires and sensors and yes indeed the TPMS warning light went off almost immediately. The only hiccup was that they had to use the old metal valve stems to the new sensors because the valve stems that came with the sensors left too big a gap where it attaches to the rim. The Michelins ride much softer and quieter than the OEM Bridgestones, but maybe that's because they're over nine years old. Thanks again for all your replies.

24. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I had one go bad many years ago. I bought an aftermarket replacement as suggested here somewhere. My local tire guy replaced but it didn't automatically reset. Mine is a Nov 07 build. I took it to dealer. $500 later they replaced it and calibrated it. Fast forward to 3 months ago. One went bad so my independent guy replaced them all and calibrated. $900!!!!

$175 each x 4 then $200 to calibrate. Guess he didn't get the memo about the lesser priced ones.

This will come in handy for next time. I could care less about them and wouldn't replace but you get that god awful non-stop failure warning.