MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 44 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that the 488 sucks. I would find it hard to fathom that any car enthusiast would believe that the 488 is not an exceptional vehicle that stands at the pantheon of excellence in its category. The introduction of a competitive model from a different brand does not diminish the stature of the 488, but this development is significant to car lovers since it may provide an alternative to the existing standards and even more significantly, up the game in pushing the envelope for the creation of more exciting super cars to come.

2. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Very well written. My feelings exactly.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #1078 Lone Wolf, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    thanks for the lecture. i'll repeat myself, the 488 was the worst ferrari i've ever owned. and i've owned all of them since 1999. it simply had nothing in it.
    but i'm happy your happy with it. cheers.
    i do think actually its probably because i've been spoiled by my mclarens. i drove the Speciale today and i shortened my usual spin as the car left me annoyed and underwhelmed after a day with my LT.
    theSpeciale does make nice garage candy though! and maybe on 'slow' days an engaging drive!

frefan and Flo400 like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    With all due respect, you have zero credibility with me and likely a lot of other people.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Have you read some of the posts on this thread?? On this page? It's sad cause I'm such a fan of what Mclaren is doing but it doesn't have to come at the expense of other cars. This is not a zero sum game. It's possible for there to be multiple great car companies.

frefan and Lukeylikey like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Laugh

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is the end, beautiful friend
    This is the end, my only friend, the end :)

8. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    I have driven the 488 and its a great car, I own a speciale and its the biggest smile I have ever had while driving.....I just bought the 720s...and its an amazing car. Each different...each has positives and negatives.....never buy a car because of its lap time or its claims...buy it because it makes you happy...."Smiles per Gallon".....to each their own....and never hate on anyones taste, everyone has the right to their opinion as long as its not forced on another.

But then again...what do I know....I smile at everything!!!

frefan and Lukeylikey like this.
  9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    laugh out loud! no charge for the entertainment!

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #1085 Lone Wolf, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    not looking for credibility, just the truth, and besides this stuff is just opinion fueled by serious bias/ignorance/groupthink. and last i checked this thread is 720s v.488....the comparison is unfair though, i agree, because the f-car is handicapped by legacy from the start, just look at it for cryin'outloud!!!!!!!

frefan likes this.
  11. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #1086 Lone Wolf, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    i agree, keep smiling and driving what you like, thats what i do to the max. i never hated on anyones taste, btw. read my post, i'm entitled to my opinion that the 488 is the worst ferrari i've ever owned. very few have my experience(for which i am very grateful and lucky and thank my personal God for...)and so maybe should do some more listenin' and thinkin' rather than babblin'...and enjoy that 720s, now that's a car! pics please...

12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The 720S is a paradigm shifting? Are you kidding? The car is a few milliseconds faster than a 488 and suddenly we are talking about a paradigm shifting? Now even I get embarrassed (as a McLaren owner).

Since these kind of cars have been built, they have become faster and faster, this is really nothing new. And each time the new mass produced cars have blasted the performance capabilities of the former hyper cars. Where exactly is the performance level of an F40 or F1? The 720S is a super fast (and ugly looking) car, which is out of question. But there will soon be even faster cars. Therefore cool down dear Mc-guys.

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 720S will be responbsible for the emergence of faster and more exciting cars. The bar has been raised. You may think the car is ugly, and clearly an argument over aesthetics is nonsensical. I happen to think the 720S is a work of art.

frefan likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I find it implausible to believe that any of the cars that interest us on this forum, whether it is a 458, 488, Huracan, Adventador, 720S, GT 3 etc, are pieces of junk. They may appeal to specific tastes and offer differing qualities, but all of them are great cars in their own right.

frefan and Yooper like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Anyone who says any of these cars is junk is well....just trolling for attention.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One man's meat is another man's poison....

17. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ

Attached Files:

waterking and Lone Wolf like this.
  18. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Did they run out of metal? Why is there a gigantic hole in the front fender?

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    Gorgeous 720s. Love it in white, so completely modern. wow. Congratulations! Anyone who says thats ugly is just trolling for attention IMO. McLaren has moved the goalposts and is today the Driver's Choice. Ferrari is an awesome luxury brand with a rich and historic past. Good times.

frefan likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Anyone who thinks that their own taste is God's verdict... (feel free to fill in the blank)

21. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    BOOM, and there you have your next luxury product, Ferrari just confirmed an SUV!

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A closed mind restricts the in flow of knowledge. The wise are filled with doubt while the ignorant seldom are.

Lone Wolf likes this.
  23. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    but if you look closely enough, you'll find the ignorant are completely lost in doubt

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I respect anyone's opinion who feels the 720 is good looking - for me, it is in that bandwidth where such a conclusion I can understand. However, from the first spy shots I was very sceptical. In the flesh (and I have seen it at Goodwood FOS and also parked my 488 Spider near one last weekend at a local pub) the car is better than the spy shots. There is some very interesting sculpting around the rear three quarters and in general the rear of the car seems ultra modern, interesting and really quite attractive.

The front is where the problems are at for me. Can't stand the F1 style 'barge boards' behind the front arches, which seem to flow against the rest of the car and are almost jarring to my eyes, the canopy has more than a faint whiff of Ford Probe about it - something about all that non body colour black that I don't really like, and the eye sockets are just not attractive to me in the slightest.

There is no doubt they have tried to give the car an ultra modern look, more so than the 488. If they had succeeded it's only a different style or approach and wouldn't make any difference to the success or otherwise of the 488, or the Huracan for that matter. But I'm in the camp that feels they didn't, quite, pull it off. Some feel that about the 488 and although I don't, again I don't think that would be an unreasonable view. Although, being a more evolutionary design, by definition it should be slightly less controversial.

I don't think my view makes me ignorant or anything like. I know my own mind, am very comfortable with that, don't plan to visit the McLaren dealer, and can fully appreciate my own tastes don't reflect others'.

Zlaatan likes this.
  25. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ

I absolutely agree that every one has their own opinion, and share some of your thoughts. When I saw the pics of the car from the Geneva show...I was so disgusted I even openly said to a lot of my friends "how could they get it so wrong"? I liked the rear, thought the interior is def modern but could be better....however, I saw the car in person, in a diff color....I drove it for 15 min and bought it the following day. I agree to each his own...which is why i can respect anyones comments or opinions on any car....the one thing I think we all have to take away from this is the world is doing what it should be.....which is make different cars that look different, drive different, appeal to different emotions and gives us great material for banter and competition.....otherwise we would live in a boring world.....like a bunch of un-emotional and bionic robots...who have no passion!! So thank the world for us having such problems on the best cars in the world regardless of price, performance, looks oh and whether they are a Ferrari or not.....gotta love em all....just we love some more than others!!!!

Cant wait for the next round of new cars....will give us much more to bond about!

MJ

Lone Wolf and Lukeylikey like this.