For Sale - Ferrari Diagnostic Tool | FerrariChat

For Sale Ferrari Diagnostic Tool

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by Ingenere, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have a great tool that covers everything from the 348 to the F12. I have used it with my CS and have been able to get into all major systems, read clutch life, set PIS, bleed clutch, actuate gears, align gears, check spark and on and on and on. It really is great and you won't be disappointed.

It uses an android tablet with a bluetooth connection. I've attached some screenshots to show some of the coverage. There is also coverage for just about every other car made on the planet. I've used it on my SL55 as well as my Cayenne S and the depth of information and functions are brilliant.

Everything else that even even comes close is $8-10K+. This tool is $2K. Let me know if you have questions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Will this work with Apple products? iPhone or iPad? Also, can it perform the same functions normally only able to be done at a dealer for the various makes and models of cars?

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ernie:

I don't believe it will work with Apple products. It's set up and runs on Android. From the cars I have used it on it is as good as dealer tools.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What about cables? You should post some interface cables. Older cars must connect thru ALDL sockets. Does this have anything to do with "Launch"? Has anyone tested each and every function? Saying "it covers" is a very broad statement. I have an SD2 and would be interested to compare and see if the functionality is the same or equivalent.

5. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have the same tool. It's pretty cool.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Is this the same thing the guy mechanicservice or something like that offers?

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Intersted. What is the name of the tool / software? How old is your version? Updateable?

8. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    It appears to be the same.

9. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Does it do Rolls Royce? I've been looking for one for my phantom - I keep coming up short.

Thanks,
    Erik

10. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ^?

11. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is it bi-directional?

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Gotcha.

Thanks for the reply.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Sorry. I haven't been on line today.

It is based on Launch, but it has been built up from that platform.

I don't have cars other than OBD cars, so I haven't needed extra cables, but I am sure they are available.

It will do Rolls Royce.

By bi directional I assume you mean does it do more than just read. Yes, that is one of the things I like about it. I have been able to set PIS, bleed clutch, actuate injectors, gears, etc.

It is upgradable.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You did not answer if this is the same as a forum member is offering. He is offering for a crazy low price of $50.

Respectfully, factory tools have a great deal of functionality. To say this is equivalent is a very bold statement without testing each and every function.

I just got a suspension ECU from a pro tech that cannot clear errors with a Leonardo and he asked me to clear with my SD2.

It's one thing to list a bunch of coverage, it's another to demonstrate it works.

15. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    But, what software package are you selling? Did you write it? I am confused

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I am not marketing Ferrari tools. Dave, don't get defensive over your SD2. I'm sure that it is wonderful. I looked at them, but $10K+ for an enthusiast is just not worth it to me. Plus I didn't find it convenient or user friendly.

I own an ECU tuning company. I have been after my software guys for years to see if they (or any of their friends), could come up with a solution that wouldn't cost a fortune. The tool that I am offering is that solution. It is based on Launch, but enhanced with the Ferrari functions that I wanted. I have used this tool on 360, 430, 458, and F12 and have been able to get into most systems, read and clear codes and do many functions that I am sure are part of the factory tools. I haven't spent time with an SD2 to compare. I am not using it every day, as a shop would. But every single time I have had a buddy with a car that needed a code read/cleared, PIS set, clutch life read, bleed clutch, etc, this never failed. I have a friend that has an indie shop. He works and restores mostly the older cars, but every time he has needed to get into a Ferrari system, this has done the job. It has never failed on my CS to do what I want.

It is small, convenient, user friendly, bluetooth and at $2K, I think it is a value. I can't imagine any enthusiast (or shop) would be disappointed with the functionality. As far as somebody else on here selling something for $50. I have no idea who he is, or anyone else for that matter. I know there are other guys, like me out there that like to work on their own cars, but are limited due to the lack of a tool that can do some of the electronic functions. This is a perfect solution that has worked for me and I wanted to share with the community.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dino, I have not designed, built, nor ever sold the SD tools so it's not personal to me and I'm not in the least defensive about them.

I'm a mechanical engineer and a tech guy so my quest is always accurate, technical information. You may view this post as a personal criticism of you - it's not. Please read what I write with an open mind:

You are making the claim that this tool covers 348 to F12. That is a very tall order. In fact, when I asked about cables, you replied per above and state "I'm sure they are available" - are you positive about that? FWIW, OBDII started in 1996. So, your tool won't be able to do anything with a non OBDII car based on the need for Launch and the OBDII socket. A 348 or 1995 F355 is OBDI and has no OBDII socket. Furthermore, for 1996 and up 355's only allow access to 2 ECU's via the OBDII socket per my testing - perhaps I'm wrong.

So, you are offering for sale a tool with certain coverage and coverage you state but clearly have not tested. You go on to make the claim:

In addition, you say:

I don't see how you can say this with what appears to be very little testing.

Nick Forza's Ferrari (sponsor here) offers the Leonardo / Galileo platform of tools. These tools come with hardware (tablet), cables, software and a flight case. I'm not going to post the Galileo price but I will say it's greater than $2K but less than $10K. But, that comes with technical support, warranty and tested functions. I was days from purchasing a Galileo but an SD2 came up for sale so I decided to grab that instead only because it covered more models and is a factory tool.

So, is your $2K just software? How about support? Warranty? Product liability insurance? Testing of each and every make / model / ecu?

If your product does what it says, $2K would never fly from my wallet so quick but right now we have many unknowns. My suggestion is you connect with a professional tech and ask they work with you to test each and every function. Until you have gone through proper testing and development, I would not offer this for sale. Ernie is 348 owner - would you be providing him a refund if he had bought only to find out he has no way to connect to any ECU in his 348?

My journey learning the SD is just beginning. You may wish to give this thread a look - my suggestion is you make videos, etc to demonstrate how your tool works, on each and every model you say it supports.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/learning-using-and-documenting-the-use-of-an-sd2-on-a-355.554993/

Also, I truly believe you would rather hear this from me and not Ferrari's attorneys.....using the Ferrari (and others) Logos is a trademark / copyright infringement and they will come down on you so I'd suggest you come up with a different set of icons.

In summary, if your tool advances and you can demonstrate it works for all stated coverage, you will get alot of sales. My guess is the price will go up substantially though given the amount of investment you will need to make.

18. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yep, it's the X431 Pro3, all over the internet for $1200-$2400, gets decent reviews, won't do the stuff that we have discussed tho., lol

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    hey Brian - there is another one called Xdiag Pro 3 http://xdiagpro3.com/

That one is around $100 for all brands. Think it can clear codes on a 355 suspension ECU? :D ;)

20. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Got another one going right now, 348, can't clear Motronic fault codes via push button nor my high dollar brick, frustrating! The Mas QP I had problems with, customer had jump started car, fried TCU, ABS and Susp, modules, couldn't communicate, used replacements fixed it.

Not meaning to disrupt the OP, but it is just a proprietary scanner as noted. If he can sell and provide live updates and support, price is good. Does this have the 10.1" or cheaper 8.0" screen, doesn't say

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I believe that most of the systems would be as found in equivalent BMW models, much as Bentley uses VAG-Com, can't say for certain. Aston can communicate via some Volvo software and Euro Ford, but limited, again only newer model lines

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Awaiting reply from OP but I think this is software only and no hardware.

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The old ST05 was really good with the 348, miss mine. I actually had a better rate of success with the ST05 vs SD tool on 348's & 456's. Too bad those guys have passed on, I think the software engineers were the same or so I was told.

24. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    This sounds like an awesome piece of kit, but I'm confused, are you selling your single license of this software? Or are you selling a tablet with it pre-installed? Or are you the developer or a dealer of it? What's it even called? Very odd to post an ad without even giving the name of the software.

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Holy Moly! My point of this wasn't to cause a FChat ruckus. As I stated previously, it was developed as an advancement of a specific platform, primarily because I had been moaning to my software writer (I own an ECU tuning company) that I couldn't believe there was nothing available for the enthusiast at a reasonable cost that would do most (if not all) of the functions off the more expensive factory and non factory tools. I have been servicing my own cars for 40+ years and I wanted something to help with the newer cars. That's it. Period, end of story. This tool works. We haven't done anything to aid connections with non OBD2 cars, because I didn't much care about them, since I no longer have them, but if someone wanted it, I'm sure we could make it happen. This wasn't developed as a commercial venture. It was for me personally. But it is working so well, that I wanted to offer it to the community for guys like me that wanted a tool that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

The tool is on a Samsung tablet with a 10" screen. It has a bluetooth OBD2 connection. The screen interface and instructions are self explanatory as you play with each screen. The tool had worked for me on every OBD2 car I have connected to. If you have any questions, feel free to call as I'm not on here all day and I can tell you what you want to know. 480-206-9181

Manda racing likes this.