Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF MANETTINO Failure - 4WD Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by PhantomCypher, Sep 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    The 2015 Ferrari FF is in for service and it's serious this time.

I have a major error that pops up when the car is put into reverse gear. Manettino failure and then the 4WD system failure messages play and stay on. The car goes into WET mode continously after that and a yellow triangle in the bottom of the screen sticks around. The car becomes RWD only and won't shift on it's own in Auto above 4th gear without me using the paddle-shifters. This doesn't go away until you turn the car off; take the key out and wait 30 seconds to turn it back on. Happens every time you put it in reverse which is every drive.

I took it into the local dealer here. They took the car in and have had it for over 2 weeks now. First they said it was a transmission control unit in one of the gearboxes. I said no problem. How long? It has to go to Ferrari NA for approval....OK. Wait a few days Ferrari NA doesn't know what the problem is sending it to Ferrari Italy S.p.A for diagnosis. They come back and say sure go ahead and ship the part to the dealer. Part takes almost 4 days to get there.

Dealer opens it up and guess what....they need another PART. Oil plug kit for the box. Ok, more parts. More waiting.....today they piece it altogether. Put the car on the ground and...........MANETTINO FAILURE - 4WD FAILURE.

Yea now the dealer is asking Ferrari Italy to approve for the entire gearbox to be replaced for the 3 gears (as there are two in the FF).

I've had the car for exactly 1 year as of 1 week ago with 11,000 miles on the clock from new. This is ridiculous so far.

I really hope I get my car back within a week (going on 3) before I go to corporate and start knocking on some doors. I can't believe that they have to get Italy approval for every little thing just to get this car moving.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive had this happen and just ignored it. what dealer are you using? sounds off.

3. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You probably need a battery. Truly.

4. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Let us know what happens

5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If your dealer hasn't at least tried checking/changing the battery before doing all this other work I would question their competence.

Brian L likes this.
  6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Call another Service Mgr for a second opinion.

deltona likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cld def be the battery. my car is always on a ctek 4.3 so if the battery was losing juice it wld be replenished. i also have gone through like 4 batteries. i wldnt start spending money until after you replace the battery

Caeruleus11 and Brian L like this.
  8. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    The exact same problem happened to me past Friday, and I got the car back in 1 week.

It was pretty much nothing, they guessed that it could have been the fluids in the front gear box, leveled it off, and that was it.

Also, the same error message that yours appears. After 1 day, overnight and numerous start / off with the message appearing when gearing in reverse, but finally when I drove the car on the tow vehicle, the message disappeared and never really reappeared.

It's also likely not to be much, and you might want to have your car checked elsewhere if they plan on changing you the gearbox for this.

9. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    Did they at least provide you a replacement vehicle during the repair?

When you daily drive an FF/Lusso, dealers are not "equipped" to give loaners. Even the ones who are Maserati dealers don't have loaners, which for daily users of their F cars is a non sense.

10. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    A little update for those tracking this thread:

They gave me a Maserati Ghibli loaner. A far cry from the FF in performance and everything as you all know.

Still no word from Ferrari Italy, service manager said. Another day goes by without my car and without resolution. This is abysmal if this is what FF owners are to expect when it comes to this.

The service manager replied that they are at the mercy of Ferrari when it comes to diagnosing and determining what needs to be replaced and when.

We're going into the 3rd week on trying to get this fixed and I'm not pleased one bit.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Did they replace the battery before all this mess? You must insist if they don't get that point.

Because it's only a year old, they may not be thinking about something so simple.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the bit about hearing from italy is odd to me - what dealer are you using?

13. PhantomCypher

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Another Update:

It would be odd if the battery went bad as I had the car on a tender constantly when it was at home. I took it out of town and drove is continuously for a week so I don't think it discharged.

I asked service if they have explored the battery option to swap it out before moving forward. Waiting to hear back on that one.

EDIT: dealership says they confirmed it is NOT the battery.

So the process I was told is Dealer talks to Ferrari North America (FNA) who then talks to Ferrari Italy for approvals on fixes.

FNA got back today and approved a replacement of the PTU. We're waiting on an ETA for parts now.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I hope what we are all experiencing is not an early start to the PTU going bad. That would suck

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Hopefully they have tried actually putting in a good quality aftermarket battery to confirm it is not the battery. Which dealership is it?

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont think so - been happening to mine since new.

17. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I do not think the battery charger is strong enough to keep the battery charged fully.

If I do not drive my car for a week the car hesitates a little to start. After driving it start easily.

This PTU failure in a 2015 is scary.

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    The charger that comes with the car is definitely not powerful enough to charge the battery. I have read it's a left over batch of chargers that CTEK sold to Ferrari. It's still mind-boggling to think why Ferrari would pick such sub-par chargers and batteries for oem use...on the other hand, it's interesting to note that most car dealerships make more from the service dept than from new car sales.

Melvok likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    From what you have described , they are following procedure to get you taken care of.

Even though you'd like things to move faster, there is a definite process that has to be followed. Add in the time delay between you and SpA... that's +1 day for each step of diagnosis, that SpA requires.

They ( like you ) are not approving such a large repair without following process and answering all their questions.

Based upon where you appear to be in the process, you should extend your expectation to month, not week. I could be and would like to be wrong. BUT, I've worked through what you are going through right now, it was not quick.

And to be clear , Ferrari SpA IS the one approving the repair , YES, the Dealership has to jump through all the hoops to make it happen on your behalf.

I'm sorry it's not working out as quickly as you'd like ...

S

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Why would they provide a loan car? o_O

Ferrari doesn't cover the cost ( usually ) and most modern Ferrari owners have more than 1 car at their disposal.:cool:

This is NOT to say that a particular Dealership wouldn't try and help. ;)

In 5 years I have had exactly 1 client ask for a loan car , that chose to use Enterprise on their dime... < shrug >

Its not like Ferrari is Mercedes... :D

S

21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I have personally only seen 2 failures out of all the FF's we service, ever.

One was after a clear case of abuse on track... Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The " Ferrari" CTEK is more of a " Battery Maintainer", it doesn't actually charge the battery like an actual battery charger would.;)

I would just drive more! :D

S

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    How many FF's do you guys frequently service? 15? 20? Even if its 50 FF's having 2 failures where the repair bill is likely north of $30K is a bit scary

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    haha if my ptu goes ill use my FF as paperweight at that cost

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Not 100, but a lot for sure, more than we have sold, if that makes any sense.

A PTU repair make the New Power Warranty seem like a bargain now...