Difference b/w best professional automotive diagnostic scanner & Normal OBD2 scanner | FerrariChat

Difference b/w best professional automotive diagnostic scanner & Normal OBD2 scanner

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by koikmo, Aug 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koikmo

koikmo Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    I am seeing huge price difference between professional obd2 diagnostic scanner and normal obd2 scanner. I may get an affordable scanner less than $100. But, I am also seeing a few scanner which price more than $500. Actually, what is the main difference between high price professional scanner and low price normal scanner?

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Speed, interface, and options to add manufacturer specific modules. Modern cars have multiple ECUs with different parameters that are not understood or scanned for by an OBD2 scanner.

Generally, the cheap are just read only, check and reset codes and readiness monitors besides real time running figures. The more expensive ones may allow you to upgrade to a manufacturer style module to go deeper but again these are somewhat limited. It's what the aftermarket coder has determined what the car can do per module.

To do what a dealer does, it requires a scanner in the thousands and the modules for manufacturers are not cheap. I think the Ferrari scanner used by the dealer was $10-20K a decade ago. Snap-On might give you something that can do it for half that.

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Tools that interface with Ferrari, that will read the codes in the different systems as well as perform specific tasks (i.e. clutch bleed, set PIS, actuate injectors, etc) are not cheap.

SD2/3 can be $10-$20K
    Leonardo is just as pricey.

My software writers have put together a tool based on an existing system, but we have integrated Ferrari and Maserati. Our Ferrari coverage goes from the 348 to the F12. We can get into most systems in these cars. It's bluetooth and we used a tablet. I have been able to reproduce them for $2K. Not cheap, but for an enthusiast or even a shop, it's a cost effective solution.

4. koikmo

koikmo Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    #4 koikmo, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

Ya, it makes sense. Expensive scanner has more powerful features and can do lots of extra things. I just check a scanner and It's price more than 3k. I think mechanics can buy those kind scanner. But, for normal car owner it is not worth buying.

5. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Can someone provide a link to an easy to use and affordable scanner thank you? Can be one that I can use with my Android phone or with Windoze laptop. I have a 360 6MT and want to check for errors every now and then, nothing special.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I would first look at Autoenginuity. https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/oe-level-coverage/ferrari-and-maserati-ei18/enhanced-ferrari-engine-module-list/

I have one for my Jaguars, love it. If you want a super cheap OBD2 engine, transmission scan tool you can pick up the DashCommand phone or tablet app and a $20 Bluetooth OBD2 connector from Amazon. With tax and shipping you are in for $30. Just find the Amazon adapter with high ratings such as iGeek as they are all made in China and quality is hit and miss.