Capristo CES-3 on 458 Speciale | FerrariChat

Capristo CES-3 on 458 Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tryptomine, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    #1 tryptomine, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Hi guys,

I have installed CES-3 box(which open the valve on exhaust) on my Speciale standard exhaust , put all settings like in owner manual .
    Even add to Favourite to have on Start on OPEN mode , but in a minute the sound swithed to CRUISE .
    Any clues what is wrong ? myabe need to add other settings ? put also 2 valve in exhaust type.

Thanks

2. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Why not use the remote valve opener to open them as and when you choose?

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Which Options does Caprist give you according the manual ?

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #4 720, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    That's normal. When you start the engine cold it runs richer and at a higher RPM for about one minute (sounds awesome for a minute) to heat up the cats. Then the revs drop, and I'd guess the fuel mixture leans out some...the exhaust sound drops off a lot.

The single most effective thing you can do to improve the exhaust sound and volume is to replace your stock cats with 200 cell cats. I did this (Capristo 200 cell cats) on my Speciale, and I was very happy. I had some extra money burning a hole on my pocket, so I also replaced the silencers with Frequency Intelligence Ultimate Race silencers...much smaller and adds to the volume a bit. The 200 cell cats made a BIG improvement. The Fi silencers also improved the exhaust note, but to a lesser degree.

5. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Hi Rick,
    Is there CEL with Capistro 200 cell Cats?

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi. Yes, sorry. I should have mentioned that Capristo bundles heat blankets and, more importantly, O2 simulators with their 200 cell cats package for the Speciale (about $4K contact James at Vivid Racing for more information). The O2 Simulators talk to the ECUs which eliminates "check engine light" completely. I have 4,000 miles on my Speciale and no CELs.

James McKibben
    Sales Manager
    Vivid Racing | Gilbert, AZ | www.vividracing.com
    480.966.3040 ext 249
    [email protected]

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I installed 200 Cell cats on my Italia, and if I don't drive the car for a month or two, when I first start it up, I get a CEL and even go into limp mode.... The way I work through this is driving the car in limp mode a bit, to get some heat in the cats, and then doing about 8-10 engine stops and starts... And then it goes away. But I don't have the heat blankets and O2 simulators on my car! I suspect my issue may be related to this... It has become a frustrating issue and I've been trying to figure out what to do about it... Thanks 720 for this info, I'll install the heat blankets and O2 simulators and see if this makes a difference....

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi. I bet the O2 Simulators will solve the problem. Contact James at Vivid Racing or reach out to Capristo directly to confirm that this will work on the Italia (I bet it will).

The heat blankets probably aren't strictly necessary, but they really do help keep the temperature down in the engine bay.

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Thanks a ton 720, this info is very helpful indeed.
    I've contemplated going with the same setup on my Speciale as you're running on yours... Would it be at all possible for you to load a short video clip so we can hear it run? Does is sound comparable to the Speciale in this video??

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #10 720, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    I wish!!! I bet I listened to the videos of that Marlboro livery Speciale around Monaco 10,000 times! That Speciale has straight pipes and I believe Frequency Intelligence Evolution silencers (BTW, I believe Fi replaced the Evolution exhaust with Ultimate Race...which is smaller and louder). There's an fchat guy (rblissjr) that has a Speciale with straight pipes (and I believe Fi Evolution silencers), and he told me his setup sounds absolutely insane. I bet it does.

But along with the insane exhaust sound comes some problems...CEL issues and reduced back pressure... making it necessary to have the ECUs reprogrammed IMHO. In addition, I'm sure straight pipes will most likely void your warranty. And in California you'd never be able to pass smog tests which are required periodically to register your car. I asked rblissjr about the smog test issue, and he told me that he was willing to go to the trouble and expense of swapping back his stock cats every time he has to get a smog test.

if I put straight pipes on Speciale my wife wouldn't want to drive around town with me with that insane exhaust sound. LOL

If these issues don't bother you then your Speciale can sound like that Marlboro livery Speciale. But unless you're a couple of standard deviations from the mean, straight pipes may not be ideal for you :)

That said, I bet you will be VERY happy with the more aggressive (yet still civilized when you drive around town) sound you'll get from 200 cell cats versus the stock cats (which I believe are 600 or 800 cells per inch). Some guys compromise and go with 100 cell cats. I bet that would make the sound even louder and more aggressive. But it's my understanding that you'll have the same issues with 100 cell cats as straight pipes. But if you don't mind the warranty concerns, CEL issues, reprogramming ECUs and your wife refusing to drive with you, etc., then you could make your Speciale sound like that Marlboro livery Speciale for sure!

If you go with 200 cell cats and you still want a little more, then you can replace your OEM silences with something from Novitec, Frequency Intelligence, etc., and you'll get a bit more sound. But replacing the cats is the single biggest thing that impacts exhaust sound. If you do this you won't regret it :)

BTW, I tried making a video of my Speciale with my iPhone and it came out terrible.

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Here's a picture of 100 cell cats versus 200 cell cats (200 cells top half compared to 100 cells bottom half. It's amazing that exhaust can even pass through these pipes at all. Imagine 800 cells!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick