2017 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 14 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 the fans were entertained briefly and 'robbed' of a race in the end....

2. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Vettel's fault. Max tried to back out of the sandwich at the last moment but Kimi's large rear tire got in the way.
    If Max did get out of the way in time, Kimi and Vettel would have collided anyway at the corner.

Dave

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Aha well now ...that usually involves Mr Hamilton, however he is now trying to go Vegan according to some, which made them giggle, however I'am quite sure he enjoyed that Ferrari Max sandwich ;)

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting thought and seems possible. There was an element of impatience today that was avoidable.

5. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Max was the least culpable on that fiasco. Well, and Alonso too. And next was Kimmi. It was ***** Vettel with 100% of the blame; what the hell was he thinking? Hamilton was well behind, so why the hell was he that aggressive on a wet track? Forced Max to the left, who ended up clipping Kimmy, since he had nowhere to go. HATE that Ferrari is taking the hit, but glad Vettel was taken out, since he was the moron who caused the pile-up. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Being that aggressive is always a gamble, but without f***ing reason is just absurd. And yes, he just handed both titles to Mercedes. What a tool. Geez.

6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Even though I'm not a big fan of Max, I blame Kimi for the entire accident. If he had stayed behind Max instead aggressively trying to pass him, we would've had a completely different race and results. Max had nowhere to go. Kimi didn't leave him any room.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As long as he is not the Meat in between the Two pizza-breads

8. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    If he gets around Max there is a buffer between him and Vettel. Max was the threat after all.

9. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Have to disagree with those who blame Seb for moving left on Max...or for Max and Kimi being too aggressive. The pole sitters has the right as long as he is in the lead to move in either direction to protect his position. It has been done by every champion and pole sitter in the history of the sport. The basic facts are that Max and Kimi collided...hard to know yet if Max's car suffered damage but the coming together tore off Kimi's right rear wheel and that threw Kimi into Seb. Kimi bounced back to the left, but could no longer control his car. Max got by but Kimi's momentum send him into Max and Alonzo. Reminded me of when Hamilton went off, lost control and slide into Rossberg....or any of dozens of first lap first turn incidents over the last 40 years I've been following F1. All in all, a racing incident. Unfortunate for Ferrari fans but just the way things go. And the season is far from over and point leads can still change dramatically.

However considering the very nature of this particular track...with zero area for run off...in these wet conditions I think Charlie White would have been wiser to start the race behind the safety car...just based on the nature of the track in these conditions. A normal track with normal run off and the start would have given everyone lots a places to go. No guarantee things would have worked out better but it would have been less likely. And it is always easy to second guess anyone.

10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I blame both RAI and VER. If they had driven carefully to the left and parked gently against the wall, VET's poor start and over-aggressive move wouldn't have mattered at all.

11. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Looked like ol' Max was just out of places to go...

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Isn't it ironic when the Hamilton fans come out and complain about poor starts and over aggressive first turn moves ;)

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    At Spa last year happened something similar: Vettel squeezed another car without knowing that this car had nowhere to go because there was somebody else in the space that Vettel "supposed" was empty. Also Raikkonen still had some inches between Verstappen and the wall that he could have used.

In hindsight, it was an avoidable collision, but it´s easy to talk in hindsight. ***** happens.

14. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Last night I told my better half that the race will last 5 seconds, and Max will tangle with Vettel in turn one. Boy was I wrong on all counts.

1) Race lasted about 3 seconds.
    2) It happened in straight line before the first turn.
    3) Vettel, not Max, caused it.

The rest of the two hours were pretty boring, but the fireworks at the end was nice.

15. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    When you KNOW your team mate is a loose cannon you're playing with loaded dice ..... I blame Schuey for this crash, he did this move many times and Vettel is just continuing the tradition.

I was disappointed with Dan's progress considering the speed RBR showed all weekend and I think he was lucky to have a bad start and not get mixed up in the blender

16. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Max lost situational awareness as he was so focused with Seb on his right he didn't see that Kimi was already passing him on his left. Max is fast because he is young fearless and has great reflexes. Unfortunately he isn't very bright and for this reason he will probably never be a champion.

moretti likes this.
  17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Not all of us .......... I got to like" Schuey for the WDC/WCC he bought to Ferrari but some of his tactics were very questionable.

What Vettel did was very reminiscent of Schuey and in this case caused the accident, although IF the pitwall guys were watching the start closely they should have warned Vettel that Kimi was there as well and "maybe" hothead Vettel may have stayed right

375+ likes this.
  18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I think Max was well aware of his situation but he just kept his boot in it and thought he'd just bounce off Kimi, he really had nothing to lose , I hope he survives this "immortal" stage of his career but it isn't looking promising................. he'd be dead by now in any other racing era, he should give thanks to the great carbon fibre god :p

19. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, but he had to turn left because SV turned left to protect his poor start

20. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
  22. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I don't think you can say Sebs start was poor. He was in front...he made sure he didn't have any wheel spin and he defended his position from a challenger. Max was behind Seb when Max and Kimi (in the faster car) collided, sending Kimi into Seb. Schmaucher and Seb are not the only drivers to use a protecting move such as Seb used. Senna and Prost both did it. Rossbergs 1 and 2 did it. Hamilton has done it. Alonzo has done it. Jim Clark did it, Hills 1 & 2 did it, just go back and look at the thousands of hours of footage. Whether it is the first lap or the last lap or any lap in between, you are allowed one move to cover your opponent. Seb did nothing wrong...he got taken out by cars behind him.

In the circumstances that were involved, Charlie White should have had the race start behind the pace car. If anyone deserves second guessing it is him.

moretti likes this.
  23. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Max should slowly realize that being sandwiched most of the time leads to contact.

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Or he could have Backed Off seeing that his gap disappeared but as you said yourself he just kept his foot down and I have no idea what he expected to come out at the end...nobody questioned that Seb steered to the Left to protect his position and if you are behind you have to accept that there is no way getting bye anymore but like in Spa Max did not care at all...now he stands there and says again that it was not his fault but what did he gain? Nothing at all....

25. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    A poor start may be disingenuous to Vettel but nowhere as good as Kimi's and I agree MANY previous drivers have done this, doesn't make it sporting in my eyes, even Brabham use to admit to driving on the edge of the track to flick stones at his opponents and I don't think that was sporting either