MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 45 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Again very funny to read that - the 488 is faster not only in straight lines, and to me the added torque from the turbo is welcome for a V8.
    Meanwhile the main (if not only) advantage of the 720S over the 488 is its straight line performance, so I cannot understand how the 720S could be a game changer if the 488 is just a poor upgrade.
    I understand some people may prefer the 458 Speciale to the 488, but that should not be the same people prefering the 720S to the 488... just for consistency's sake...

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Where is the problem if someone does not like the ugly front of the 720S?

Someone shall show me the absolutely perfect car, the car which has not one single weakness, imo this car doesn't exist (until yet). Yes, I don't like the 720S front design (and btw McLaren has still not understood how to create a nice sound in the interior) but I'm sure, as written many times before, once I will own this baby, this car is too tempting in its entirety. McLaren has proved that the race continues, even without electricity, not a bad thing. However, still no reason to talk condescending about Ferrari. Ferrari was and is always benchmark, without Ferrari the competition would be nowhere.

3. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    the main advantage of 720s over 488 is not in a straight line, its everywhere else...the straight line is just a bonus. i see the logic you were drawing from the post but that is not what i meant.
    the 488 doesn't have a single performance parameter better than a 720s, lets call a spade a spade. now if you like the way a 488 looks, thats fine but on all important numbers its not debatable . the most important to me being the weight of the car. 488 is heavy and feels it in the turns and under braking. the 458speciale on the other hand is at least lightweight and nimble as a midV8 ferrari should be. 488 sort of a GT car but with no space or comfort of F12, or FF

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Both cars are great to me. As I the 570s, and 458, and Huracan etc....

Lone Wolf likes this.
  5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm more of a suspension guy and IMO the 720s advantage is the chassis; its lighter, and lower COG. Straight line performance is stellar too, all around its a great package. I dont think anyone would be disappointed with it's handling.

I tracked a 720s and a 458 back to back (wasn't any 488). 458 is more old school suspension-wise, which is fine, but with 720s you aren't having to wait so much for the weight transfers to settle before your next input. 720s handles like a go kart, you just point and shoot without having to think about timing so much. Steering is better too, I loved my 458 except the over boosted steering. My point is there is a lot more than just straight line performance.

Lone Wolf likes this.
  6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    the over boosted steering on the 458 is one of the 'gimmicky' things i didn't like about the 488 either. i found it worse than on the speciale.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To summarize this long thread- 720S is beautiful and ugly. It is a breakthrough performer and it is not. It raises the existing bar for super cars and it doesn't. Die hard Ferrari devotees are sick and tired of wasting time hearing about it while those who are open to any super car of interest want more opinions and info. The 488 is no longer at the pinnacle of the supercar hierachy now being dethroned by the 720S and the 488 is still the standard bearer and there is nothing like a Ferrari nor will there ever be.

8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    They should just delete all prior comments and have this comment be the only one standing... great summary.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... not quite

Its ugly in some views.
    It's a breakthrough performer -- if that's what you are looking for
    It does raise the bar. That's a good thing.
    Yes we are sick and tired of hearing from the Mac Rah Rah club about it. Move on. You're not going to convince anyone any differently here.
    We've heard it all 10,000 times already. I feel like that scene in the Clockwork Orange where they pin the guys eyes open.
    No one cares if the 488 is "the pinnacle" of anything. We like what we like. Sue us.

--and there is nothing like a Ferrari. That part you have correct. :)

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    He states not quite- yet repeats virtually everything I stated.

You sound like the employer in an old Fed Ex commercial where the employee comes to the boss and offers his suggestion as to how to reduce shipping costs and increase profitability by stating " we need to reduce the amount of trucks, yet simultaneously ensure full capacity, lower consumer freight prices so as to be more competive with the postal service and eliminate destinations that are not cost effective."

The boss dismisses his suggestions as being all wrong and then states" This is what we should do instead- we need to decrease the number of trucks and at the same time make sure they carry a full load, reduce our consumer freight prices and cut out areas that are sparesly populated." The employee responds by saying " Boss you are brilliant".

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I don't get this. It's an enthusiast's message board - isn't the point of a forum for people who are interested in the topic to be able to explore it? The 488 and 720S are without question competitors for the same dollars so this thread is super relevant to those who care about the cars. If you don't like the topic - don't keep visiting the thread.

Plus, it felt to me like most of the adulation heaped on the 720S in this thread came from current or former Ferrari owners, some/most of whom, including me, have never owned a McLaren.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Please do not misunderstand me. I agree it's a car forum but at some point it borders on tedium if not actual trolling.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "meh".

You whine even when someone agrees with you.

/end

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since this thread is going in circles there is probably nothing new in my next comments (but probably nobody is going through the pain to read the entire thread from the start now, so it should not matter).
    When the the MP4 12C was introduced it had on paper everything to make the 458 obsolete:
    - carbon tub
    - tricky suspension
    - more power (and better straight line performance)
    Actually I thought it would, but it did not happen - and to be honest it was a disappointment to me. The 458 was actually better engineered so that it made the best of its older technology, while the Mc was not as resolved.
    Today we have the same on-paper situation between the 488 and 720S, and most probably McLaren has also moved forward so they do not completely waste their on-paper advantages.
    But the MP4 12C experience has made me cautious, and in any case I cannot see how the 720S could be considered a breakthrough...
    More power, less weight and more expensive; if properly engineered it has to be superior in some ways to a 488 (although I'm still not convinced it is, I'd need more evidence due to the MP4 12C, and up to the 675 LT, experiences). But even if it is, there is no shame for the 488 nor miracle from the 720S for that.
    Nothing new from my comments then, but I also do not expect anything new from the possible answers :)

15. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I like your statement. ;)

Two companies who want to transfer "racing" to the road. Both strive for technological leadership. In addition, McLaren would like to claim the ultimate leadership in performance for itself, Ferrari wants to be leading in regards of the factors emotion and driving experience. Two exciting marketing concepts collide.

Although McLaren was already superior with the 12C in the performance discipline, the Ferrari has clearly gained a bigger acceptance in the market (of course, other factors have also played a role, such as general challenges for a market entry, sales and service network, etc.).

However, with the latest product generations, something exciting has happened: with the 720S McLaren has further strengthened its brand values (as already with the 650S and the LT) and on the other hand Ferrari has started, imo in favor of a broader customer approach, to water down its core values with the 488 GTB (as described by Lone Wolf "too much GT").

Both companies know how to build superior high tech cars. I am looking forward to the further developments.

Lone Wolf likes this.
  16. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    I'm starting to hear quite a lot of chatter about how the build quality of the 720s is way below par. In a few instances owners have apparently even turned their cars back to Mclaren for full refunds because it's so bad. It's a brand new car and it wouldn't be the first time this have happened of course, but Mclaren's build quality doesn't really have the best rep so it would be unfortunate if this car isn't put together properly, especially since it seems to be such a great package.
    Do we think it's just teething problems or is it something to really worry about?

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I respectfully disagree. The fact that the 488 is more civilised at low speeds doesn't mean it's been watered down; it's just a better car all round. It hasn't lost any of the excitement (bar from the engine note) when you gun it!

18. KasedyT

KasedyT Karting

Aug 23, 2006
    NY
    Sold his 720S....not because he didn't like it but because he has another car coming but his surprise was how much he could (or couldn't) get......

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Omg what was that rubbish

20. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Karting

May 29, 2006
    South Florida
    what a monster, 174 MPH in the 1/2 mile!

Lone Wolf likes this.
  21. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    'nuff said! McLaren is simply eating ferrari's(not to mention all others) lunch as they very well should. Meanwhile, Ferrari is making an SUV.....all makes perfect sense

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ferrari is Ferrari. I grew up wanting one as soon as I knew what cars were. The same cant be said about the McLaren, full stop. Not as fast , so what ? The Ferrari has soul, love and desire. That's what its about . Not because it can break speed records and the like. Maybe the kids of today may grow up with the same passion , but I believe cars will be a bit different in 30 - 40 years. Ferrari 70 years McLaren ??????????????

23. holynitro

holynitro Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    You never go wrong with Ferrari !!

24. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    I follow him on youtube, he actually thought he'd make money on that car and he actually lost money.

Maybe there is already a deprecation trend. My buddy has been offered 2 x 720s already, one to be fair was a terrible color spec but for dealers already to be calling for at sticker offers on a car that should be fetching over sticker... is wow.

25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    And once again the 720S is praised for its straight line performance - that's not me making this up...