Westcoast newspapers | FerrariChat

Westcoast newspapers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by wbaeumer, Sep 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Which newspaper(s) with automobile adverts (1950-70) is/are the best at the Westcoast?

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    West coast of ... ?

3. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005

...the US of A!

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    If you are talking of Ferraris for sale in the 1950s to 1970s, look at the Sunday edition of the LA Times. That was the most significant.

For the era, also look at Autoweek when it was still on newsprint versus the current regular magazine style.

5. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I would also include the San Francisco Chronicle, and/or the Examiner for that period. Both were pretty much equal for want ad content, and I believe they combined for the Sunday edition.
    Happy Hunting, RF.

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Thank you, guys!

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The LA Times was far better for Ferraris. They had ads from sellers that were beyond than just So. Cal. The Sunday Chronicle/Examiner had some but were far lesser.

As one gets to the early 1980s, look at Ferrari Market Letter as they were compiling ads that appeared in other places in their earliest years.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Another fun thing about the LA Times, at least in the 1980s, was that they required you give either the license number or maybe the serial number? Anyway, you could read lots of vanity plates in the Ferrari and Lambo sections.

9. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    The LA Times has a great Ad-Finder Subscription you can buy to easily find all the old listings..Really great to see and read..

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I used to use the LATimes (Sunday) until a car sold. If it just didn't sell, I would use R&T, but the problem there was the time lag. I often had a 90-day note coming due at the bank!