Macan Owners Question | FerrariChat

Macan Owners Question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by FrostyAK, Apr 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I really love everything about the Macan but I want to hear from any owners, especially daily drivers. I want a new family friendly car that can still be sporting on my own. How's the reliability?

Merci.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have a 2016 Macan S and aside from a intermittent but persistent loud whine from the AC compressor, which refuses to replicate itself at the dealer, the car has been flawless.

I really like the car a lot. Plenty of power, great in the snow, very comfortable. my last daily/winter driver was a 2013 Audi Allroad, then I briefly had a 2016 Jaguar XF-S which i did not like at all, traded that for the Macan and happy with it. Perfect mix of utility and sportiness, and Porsches, generally, are bulletproof cars these days. A long history owning various 911s was a plus.

3. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I have a 2015 Macan S for my wife. I have had zero mechanical problems, and the dealer service is great.
    Overall it's really been a very nice ride so far, and good in the crap weather. (Michigan)
    Get a radar detector....

4. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Have a Macan S with about 29,000 miles, had electrical issue with radio and air conditioning fixed at dealer, otherwise super solid
    Regarding ride mine has air suspension and that's what I would get, when low and in sport mode rides like a sports car and not a truck and when needed you can raise it and go off road :)
    Great car !!

5. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    I just got my wife a new Macan. Base engine with some nice options. I've been driving it for the last few days while she was out of town. I love this car/truck! She traded a GL 450 for the Porsche and the Macan is (in my opinion) of higher quality as far as materials and fit and finish. No wiggly, jiggly knobs/handles like other cars and very comfortable. The leather is of outstanding quality as well. You will not regret getting one.

6. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    I have 30K on my '15 Macan turbo.
    LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!
    I have previously owned 2 turbo Cayannes.
    I prefer the Macan.
    No service issues with the vehicle so far, other than a defective alarm module which affected all of the early production vehicles.

7. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Loving all the positive feedback.

It's one of those vehicles that I feel pictures don't do justice bu as soon as I see it in the real world I think it's lines are great. Now if only I get get it in the '84 Rothman's livery...

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have a 2016 Macan S. I traded my Maserati GS for the vehicle a few months ago. Have since put a couple of thousand miles on it.

The utility is great, as you'd expect. I can put my bike in the back when meeting buddies for a group ride.

It is easy to drive: my children and others drive it without reservation. The in car infotainment stuff is pretty easy and intuitive. No excuses needed (no need for the "it's Italian" commentary on the radio in the GS).

Styling is personal preference, but I think they did a super job on the car, particularly the rear.

Performance is more than adequate. Launch control on a two tonne SUV. Really. I know the GTS and Turbo have more oomph, I don't need it in a daily driver.

Ride and handling is great It is almost a sportscar. Almost.

Two things I don't like. Overall, not huge, but in the "I wish" category:
    - the seats are firm. Perhaps more firm than I'd ideally choose. Could also be my backside is more boney through running so test and see for yourself.
    - the paddles, in Porsche style, are on the back of the wheel. I prefer column mounted. I tend to put in auto mode and leave it there, mostly a reflection of my use pattern (commuting etc).

Overall, it has a "built from billet" feel. Interesting how the same platform in the Q5 has been engineered to produce such a different feel and driver's experience.

And size-wise, it fits in my garage (which is not large) so its reasonably compact which is a requirement for me.

HTH,
    Philip

9. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    the macan is built on the same platform as the audi Q3.
    the cayenne is built on the same platform as the Q5.

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think its q5 =macan and q7=cayenne

im thinking of a gts as a dd that I would occasionally take on track days when I want change from my lotus. Bad weather forecast, long drive back and forth, traffic, etc. Maybe 3 times/yr.

R&T has article comparing macan and some rivals on track. Haven't read it yet but should be interesting

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve Sutcliffe drove a Macan on a track. I think his conclusion was it was surprisingly good but not a sportscar. Would not be my "cup of tea" to do same but if you do use on the track, please let us know what you think!

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I found the Macan and cayene to have horribly hard ride. A fatal flaw for an suv if you live in where it shows and roads are bumpy.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ive instructed at some track days in bmw and amg trucks. Shockingly good vehicles. Almost like a tall nissan gtr. I might not want to use it that way more than couple days per year but nice to have that option. Never been in macan but I always assume porsche vehicles will be better on track than competition. Hadn't heard about bad ride but will need to check that out when time comes to buy. My roads are bad too

14. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    thanks for correcting this:
    me bad!

15. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    kind of an old thread but took my old 911 in for service and a 2017 mecan is my loner.

It's hard to believe this nice of a vehicle can be had in the 50 ish. range...brand new

My gig has always been big pickups for dd's and 2 seaters for fun. But this car/vehicle/SUV/sports car scratches all of the itches..

I'm seriously considering one

this is a nice car

16. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Just saw this thread.
    I own a Macan GTS since last summer. I loooovvee this car/truck.
    I live in an area where we see a lot of snow/ice/slush..name it!
    And I have a cottage in a ski area.
    The Macan hits all the right buttons for me and my family.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Rennlist has a section on the Macan. It's free and lots of comments...good and bad.

I personally would get an Audi SQ5.

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    This states an opinion without helping anyone understand "why". It would be more helpful to state your reasons and the basis of your experience. Do I take it from your use of "would" that you neither own, have owned or would not own a Macan?

19. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Thanks for asking. I have a Porsche and two Audis. And a 458 spider. The Porsche is a great sportscar. The Macan is not a sportscar...it's an SUV. All the crap they hung on the Macan to me is ugly. I would not pay more money for the Porsche. The SQ5 has plenty of power. The Audi MMI is fantastic. We have had no problems with the Porshe or the Audis.

I like the way Audi does options vs Porsche. Audi prestige has just about everything standard with a few options. Every time l try to build a porsche there are always conflicts with stuff l want. And the option costs get out of sight in a hurry. Not so with Audi.

Plus we are treated much better at the Audi dealers. They have customer service down to an art. Porsche acts like they are doing you a favor to service your car.

Hope this helps.

20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have a 16 Macan S and they gave me a 17 base Macan the other day as a loaner and I'll be damned if I could really notice much difference behind the wheel. If I were to lease another one, I would get the base car. I don't care much about options on the Macans, if I want to drive something fast I'll drive the F-car.

However, Porsche lease deals are generally terrible, the money factor is too high and they rarely offer any sort of an incentive.

21. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Big +1 on service.....I'm not even in love with the '17+ Audi's, but we will be buying another one just because of the terrific service we get from our Audi dealer! Probably removing Porsche from the list.....even tho I crave a 'Touring.......

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have tried more than a few Pcar dealers. Sooner or later they blow it. Now we use a great indy shop 45 minutes away rather than 3.5 hours to Denver. Had to go to Pdealer for warranty work, but we never had a claim.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Had a base Macan loaner when the 911 was in for its annual service. It was nice, but not Porsche nice IMO. Not 60K sticker nice. Interior materials seemed lower quality than my 997.2S. Good not great. For me, it seemed like it was in a bad range. Not large enough to be as practical as a pickup truck or full size SUV. Not sporty enough where I'd want to hit the back roads on the weekend with it. Not enough clearance for off roading. I guess if you could only have one car that could do all those OK, then the higher trim levels would be way to go.
    T

24. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks for responding. Helpful to understand the "why", which you provided.
    Philip

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Worldwide the Macan is the most popular model bought.

2017 January - September Global Porsche sales:-

1) Macan - 70 829
    2) Cayenne - 48 780
    3) 911 - 22 051
    4) Panamera - 14 807
    5) Boxster - 9882
    6) Cayman - 6869
    7) Cayenne PHEV - 2792
    8) Panamera PHEV - 1417
    9) 718 - 926
    10) 918 - 518