Ever wonder what's in side that $50 Ferrari Oil Filter? | FerrariChat

Ever wonder what's in side that $50 Ferrari Oil Filter?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    So I had someone ask for me to cut open my oil filter after my next oil change, so I did! And I made a video of it. Wonder no longer at the mystery of our $50 Ferrari oil filters!

fossilfuel and Corsair66 like this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The spring is for a bypass valve should the filter get clogged and too high of pressure will cause bypass to open so engine does not get starved of oil. Different filter media with different micron levels may be used. To say this is equivalent to a $10.00 filter without knowing the specifics is respectfully bad information.

The cost of Ferrari parts is highly related to the relative low quanity of production compared to others.

Jaguar36 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Yes, but you know it's probably the same as another filter out there that costs substantially less.

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Dan. I'm a fan of your videos and they have given me valuable insights into my F430. BTW, saw your cyber stalker video over the weekend. I need you on my side!

5. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Ha! If you ever get cyber-stalked, my employees and I can probably help you out. ;)

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I totally disagree. If so pro techs see this thread, my guess is they will tell you the same. Try to cross reference it - I'll buy you a beer if you can successfully do so ;)

BOKE, Flea7 and f355spider like this.
  7. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I like your style. :)

Funny enough, I got curious to see if some quick googling would prove successful... I was not, BUT, Eurospares who I've used multiple times to buy parts from have the filter for only $25! Now, the catch is their shipping starts at something crazy like $50 to start for US delivery... So, next time I need to order some parts from them, I'll just have them toss in 3 or 4 filters and save some money. $25 isn't too out of the ball park crazy for a high end oil filter in my opinion. $50 is kinda silly.

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/search?partNumber=234742

billy.gif likes this.
  8. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    2 oil changes in a year? You need to stop driving that Ferrari so much! LOL!

9. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I can't help myself! It's just too much fun.

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I would have to agree with Dave. It's a specialized filter with low production.

BOKE and f355spider like this.
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've seen the inside of the filter before...all one has to do is go to the Purflux website and they have pictures. Their filter media and the folds they use are claimed to allow for a more compact filter with still good capacity for dirt, compared to standard pleats

BOKE, Flea7 and Dave rocks like this.
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My parents owned an auto parts store and they used to cut open filters to compare brands so I have seen a lot of filters. That filter looks like it is very well made. Pleats are tight allowing a lot of surface area, materials appear to be good, etc. There is a big difference in filters.

Dave rocks and Flea7 like this.
  14. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Dan,.... I've been enjoying your videos for a few weeks now... but I have to ask...what are you looking at, instead of into the camera???

15. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will say that if I buy a "Lotus" oil filter its over twice as much as if I buy a TRD oil filter. Difference? The TRD is a better filter...........Just because you have the factory name on the filter does NOT make it better. Ferrari or not.

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Agree, OP is a little YouTube happy.

BOKE, Dave rocks and Flea7 like this.
  17. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    The camera screen... So I can see myself. It's hard to know if I'm in frame when I look directly at the lens.

Since I seem to be getting a little grief, I should explain that I'm simply suggesting that the filters are marked up more just because it's got the Ferrari logo on it. As noted in my earlier post, Eurospares sells it for half what most US companies sell it for. $25 seems reasonable to me and I have no problem with that price point. $50 is silly. That's all.

Also, just like many parts, it's made by a third party which means it may have an identical part for another car at a lower price. And if not, well then we're stuck with it.

If you aren't creating a little controversy, you don't get any engagement. :) Gotta poke the hornet's nest a little here and there.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    In some cases, this is true. In this case, it's not ;)

Flea7 likes this.
  19. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hey Bud. A lot of us enjoy your videos. Keep them coming.

20. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Indeed, after a little Googling, it would appear that we're stuck. C'est la vie.

21. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Thanks! Even though I get some negative comments, the vast majority has been positive which is encouraging. Especially since it's all for fun at this point.

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can you make a "How to pick up chicks in a Ferrari" video? I haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

23. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Oh, I've been planning that video... But I'm going to show that you're better off using a puppy than a Ferrari.

Eric C likes this.
  24. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    What is your fascination with the cost of a Ferrari oil filter? You also may want to consult Ferrari experts before making bold statements, in case you are wrong :)

25. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    It's VERY common in the automotive industry for companies to share parts. I was hoping that this would be the case with the filter. It sounds like it is not and the filter is only made by Purflux. My fascination is trying to reduce costs on the car because I don't want to just give in and pay the Ferrari tax without finding alternatives first. Is that such a bad thing?

I like being wrong. It means I tried something different, failed, and learned.

F1Spider, Eric C and Dave rocks like this.