Did you build models as a kid? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Did you build models as a kid?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Mark(study), Jan 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In the late 50's, I built one of the old 1/32 generic Barchettas, with the little driver, think Aurora was the maufacturer.

In the mid 60's, I built a Monogram 1/25 250 GTO, and also had a 1/32 250 GTO electric slot-racing car.

The Barchetta and GTO are pretty easy to find on ebay.

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I built every Navy Fighter and Attack aircraft in our arsenal. Knew all the F-14 squadrons by heart. Also built some ships. Ended up going active duty in the Navy for 8 years and still active reservist, so maybe it played a part eh?

MB

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No doubt.

I had brother second cousins who built lots of ships, both ended up going military, then reserves for several years after active duty was over.

A first cousin built a huge collection of WWII aircraft, quite masterfully for his age then. He's done lots of flying and maintained a lifelong interest in aviation.

Me, just a car guy. That's all I ever built, with very few exceptions. Took some flight instruction but didn't pursue it further, opted out of Vietnam-era military service via the draft lottery.

4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #54 mchas, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure did. I started off building the plastic models and then moved on to the vinyl ones. There was a hobby store up the street from me and they had free painting classes if you bought a model from them. I used to ride my bike there once a week to take the painting class. I still have some of the models but I'm too lazy to take pictures, so these will have to do. :)

Something kinda funny too - I also had a T-Rex model from Jurassic Park and I bought the Ford Explorer kit and built a whole diorama. A few months ago I was heading out to Palm Desert and saw one of the Jurassic Park Explorers being flatbedded somewhere. Reminded me of being a kid again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    For the record, my earliest auto attraction was for Jaguar XKE & had Matchbox.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Whoa, cool thread, can't believe I missed it.

I "attempted" making models, it didn't work. I stuck to Legos. Me and my cousins made some awesome things. We made this castle scene, and two different houses on the Lego "hill", which was just a plastic thing with a slanted driveway, and we had cannons, and we connected them by the two green plates, and had a sick battle scene. I think we have it on video somewhere. I wish I knew where the video went. But..I was so pissed. We had an open house like a while later, and some kid trashed it, that happened with so many of my Lego models whenever we had open houses, I told my mom to hide everything I made. This was when I was like 7 years old. I have a giant tub full of Legos.

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #57 Thomas Magnum, Jan 2, 2017
    Raising a dead thread from 2009, lol. Never know what you'll find searching on fchat!

I was/am a huge "Movin' On" fan. Just watched an episode on Hulu this morning with my eight year old son. Told him it was my favorite show when I was his age, mainly because of the green KW.

I had several of these models when younger but none survived to my knowledge. A few years ago, I purchased the AMT kit off ebay and had a professional modeler build it for me. It's fantastic.

I also still have the remote control version, in original box, I received from Santa during Christmas 1978 (?).

Now, to really blow your mind, I tracked down the original KW used in "Movin' On" and visited it's current owner in Wisconsin on a weekend layover (I'm an airline pilot). After some correspondence, he invited me to his place to see it and the 1980 "BJ and the Bear" KW Aerodyne cab over, which he also owns. These trucks are the real deal, fully documented by both Kenworth and MGM Studios. It was an awesome experience and he even let me drive both of them.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Ferrari F40.
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Lamborghini Countach
    Ducati Mike Hailwood Replica
    F-14
    Several model rockets

I could never get into NASA type model rockets, ships, or the balsa model planes that would actually fly (and crash and be destroyed instantly).

I built a few model houses with thick poster board that just happened to be the same scale as Matchbox cars ;)

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Thanks for the memories.
    Rat Fink Cars (cotton used to simulate the tire burn out smoke).
    Dracula, Frankenstein.
    Trucks, Cars, Motorcycle, Airplanes.
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Sub and Flying Sub, Invaders UFO.
    NASA rocket ships and landers (I recall a Saturn 5 was 3 feet or more tall).
    Firecrackers and BB Guns ended all those models.
    Again great memories...thank you.

10. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Now that is cool!

Built a lot of models. Most were burned by my older brothers lol. Favorite was an A-10

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Holy crap!! I remember that one!! I had the kit, but never made the diorama. Wow, that brings back memories. My grandparents bought me that kit for a Christmas present. My father and I builds model kits like no tomorrow. One of my best memories as a child.

12. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    German tanks, Japanese/German/American/British battleships and all kinds of aircraft. I was then given a pellet gun for Christmas.... I still remember my Grandfathers disappointment when I sunk the Bismark in our local lake with a big rock.

13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Wow - this takes me back, loved these, did the can overs, semis, and the low boy!!

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #64 TheMayor, Jun 13, 2017
    Yes and that's how I eventually got into my profession of all things. I worked as a model maker in a small hobby company from about age 14 based on stuff I had done as a kid.

From there I got into design but I was always better working in 3d than 2d.

I liked to build cars but my favorite were aircraft of WW2. I build one of those Lindbergh B17's where you had to wind the electric motors yourself!

Also I build the invisible V8.

15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I loved airplanes. Some cars. Some army vehicles. Dad & I did the visible V-8 & the Chassis & visible Wankel. I never had the skill or patience to do an excellent job though. Painting was testors & a brush.
    a local indoor flea market opened up within walking distance (2 miles?) from my house as a kid and models were silly cheap. Like $2 each
    it got to the point I was dropping in a blown V8 engine into a thunderbolt and giving it racing slicks.

16. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Ha, plenty of memories. I must have built 20 planes with my dad, and they flew from fishing line from my ceiling proudly for years growing up! good memories....sad for today's youth, I guess they can build it on a digital interface now...

17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce Rookie

Aug 28, 2017
    66 posts and not one of you mounted the Estes model rocket engines IN the model cars??? I have lost all faith.

18. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    In the '80s when I was a kid, I built mostly 1/24 scale models of all the cars I thought were great at the time -- I specifically remember a three-pack of Monogram models which included a Testarossa Spyder, 911 Turbo Slantnose Cab and a Lamborghini Countach.

Today, I've got maybe 20 kits, mostly of '50s-'80s sports and race cars. I started a few of the smaller kits, but all of the larger Tamiya 1:12 stuff is unbuilt --waiting for a rainy day. Or year.

When I was at high school in the mid-late '90s, we had not only a small engine repair class that I took, but a model building class taught by the same instructor. For that class, I built a huge 1:12 scale Testarossa but lacked the patience and detail skill to get it perfect. It's still around -- maybe someday I'll "restore" it.

19. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I built models throughout my childhood and into my early twenties. A few cars, one ship, and tons of airplanes & model rockets. Dozens, probably. If I close my eyes and think hard, I can still smell the polystyrene cement...

20. S4Simon

S4Simon Rookie

Feb 11, 2007
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Yep - I spent my whole childhood in the 70s and 80s building models, and I think I’ve lost a few brain cells from working in a small closed room with the glue. Use to love the German WW2 aircraft, so radical in design. Now I’m mainly into the high quality Star Wars Bandai kits from japan. Plus currently building a 90cm Millennium Falcon. It’s a little different from the old Frog and italeri days.

21. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I built a Nieuport similar to this one. I was wanting to build a full size one out of plywood, but never did. Someone probably has somewhere !

22. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    AMT was my go to way back when. 1960 El Camino was my first. 1961 Ford Starliner was my second. Built with help from my father. By 1962 I was on my own and building like mad. Most of the AMT Trophy Series. 1932 & 1940 Fords over and over. Ala Kart. Double Dragster. 1957 T-Bird. I repurchased most of these kits again a few years ago on eBay. All unbuilt. Great nostalgia.

23. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    German/Japanese battleships, German tanks and aircraft. The Allied pellet rifle destroyed all of them;)