It's not funny, and I'm not drunk. | Page 180 | FerrariChat

It's not funny, and I'm not drunk.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Apr 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  2. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I assure you, with 20 years background building telco software, including SMS processing and value added services, that (a) there is no such thing as a random phone number generating service and (b) telcos have sophisticated systems for selling access to segmented numbers at a premium rate.

Anyone who got the sms in question, did so because of factors such as age, gender and postcode. Many other options such as average monthly spend, calls to mobile vs landline, etc, etc. The numbers were bought from your telco, then sent in batches.

This exercise would have cost $millions and we have no idea who funded it. Certainly, the attributed "volunteer" organisation would not have the funds. It is a gross abuse of democracy. Imagine the media uproar if the Catholic Church had funded an SMS campaign...

Steve355F1 likes this.
  3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    those SMS's were authorised by the respective political parties who are subject to legislation and thoroughly vetted for donations and spending. Mr Greenwich gets no such scrutiny for his activities with voteyes.org.au. How much did the NSW state taxpayer contribute to his personal belief system and when did voters outside of his inner-city electorate have a say in it?

4. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Exactly as I suspected.

As with so much in this debate, it's extraordinary how one side is excused all manner of things that the other side wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting away with.

:mad:

Aircon likes this.
  5. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    So you're saying that an SMS will make your mind up for you ??!!

FFS man, just tick a box, send the letter and forget about it, there are MUCH bigger issues to worry about !!

You LEFT/RIGHT WING nut jobs rag on forever.

You drive a LWV8HOS and pretend to be an NRA leaning Trumpette, anachronistic tendencies ??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd say the reaction to an unsolicited text sent to the private phones of millions of Australians (including children) pales in comparison to the outrage over some smoke in the sky over one city.

Another great example of the hypocrisy, don't you think?

7. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Ended up driving back to Sydney in a Porsche 996 - it was a great way to finish off a fantastic weekend in Melbourne with my son.
    The 996 was lovely to drive - lots of power - dodged a few native animals - hopefully avoided getting my picture taken by the men in blue and lots of stationary cameras
    However the 996 is not something that i'd like to park in my garage long term - it's a lovely car but it does not excite me

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO???????????????????????????????

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As boring a car as you'd ever find.

The later ones are no better.

10. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Sooooooooo the engine needed a bit more fettlin before CJ was prepared to release it from his clutches.
    Engine out - cause of minor leak detected - new seal & bearings & gaskets - engine reinstalled - not enough time to let the adhesives dry and get everything connected before I had to leave melbourne
    Hoping to swap cars this week and start living the dream

11. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    pics or it didn't happen

12. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Just put it on a truck and get it out of there. It will always need fettling, its an OHOS

F-Serge likes this.
  13. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    I have never seen the engine actually in the car.
    I have seen an engine and the car at the same time time, but I never checked the serial number on that engine to verify it was the original engine.

14. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    I was about to get it transported to Sydney last week when my son secured tickets to the AFL Preliminary Final, so we decided to hold off on shipping the car to Sydney so that we could drive it home instead.
    Current plan is to keep putting miles on the 996 till I get my car

15. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Or ask for your money back and buy a V12. You'll be much happier ;)

16. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    fixed

greg246 likes this.
  17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    well that's interesting - another urban myth out the window. Have to wonder who did fund it - the heading on the SMS said it was from 'vote yes.org.au' but I can't find any record of that organization although there is yes.org.au?

18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I still stand by this ^^^^^^^^^

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had the same thought, however, surely the yes camp would be yelling from the mountain tops if that were the case.

20. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Exactly. If there was even the SLIGHTEST whiff that the NO camp was up to no good, the Yes camp would have screamed blue murder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Bit similar but different to the B/S campaign Labor ran re the Medicare/bank thing at the last election.

22. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    The yes's are are banking on love coming through as the winner...not confrontation.

23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's really about them being able to legally leaving money to their 'spouse' if the yes vote gets up.

I can see the practicality in it, if I was in a hostile family situation and death was near I'd want to make sure the people I love got it and not the homophobic relatives they may despise .......... still, they're dead so what does it matter to them :p

24. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    100% correct JM. I'm all for SSM. It's intended to give gay coupled the same rights regarding superannuation, tax, death, etc. etc. It really doesn't have anything to do with being accepted. If people haven't accepted gay people by now, allowing them to get married isn't going to change that.

25. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    What I DONT like, is the aggressive stance of many of the YES camp. It's a persons right to decide NO, and they should t be vilified because of it.