Have any owners regretted buying 488? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Have any owners regretted buying 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by aazizkhalid, Sep 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My position, is trading a modded 2016 911 GTS Cab for a 458/488 spider. It's unlikely I will do it, yet it would be for a 458 ... and not until after DSC Sport releases their suspension module for the car. That will be a great upgrade and transform the car as a daily.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I think 812 will be very special, perhaps not as pretty as F12 but pretty much the pinnacle of 25 years V12 evolution (since 550 I mean).

I think Mac will need to diversify - they all look too similar to me and I expect an front engine car at some point.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    488 is 30kg lighter than 458 as measured by euro mags, so any talk of feeling heavier is likely to be just that....talk. I have driven all the cars extensively and the 488 does not feel heavy. New P Zero has better grip and turn-in, car is lighter and more powerful. At least mine does not in any way feel heavy and frankly, it is difficult to really tell a weight difference between my Speciale and my Spider, even though I know there is one. As for the car feeling 'soft' or 'floaty' that's just incorrect IMV, at least if you're comparing with its predecessor the 458 Italia.

No doubt the screaming 9k redline on the Speciale is special. The 488 can't match that because it's a turbo. But as with other turbo cars there are other benefits and you just use a slightly different driving style. For the road you can argue that massive mid-range torque adds significantly to drivability. I don't prefer it, but having the option is quite a privilege.

Some people just don't want to be bothered to put up with the sacrifices you have to make to drive a track special - deafness, jerkiness, more vibration etc. For those people, a 488 is a far better tool. Personally I love the track derived cars but I'm happy to admit that I very often prefer the more balanced drive of a 488. You get 90% of all worlds rather 100% of one and 50% of another.

Since the op is thinking about the 488 as an additional car, it's a no-brainer. The 488 is a wonderful car.

Viperjoe, Shadowfax, Napoli and 3 others like this.
  4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    yah. not sure what you're talking about. it must be great it won an award! thats how i judge'em!
    did i touch a nerve? are you Overweight? LMAO!

xfrgtr likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No one other than your self cares how you judge the cars. Really- keep telling yourself that your opinion matters.

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    you must be fat then

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wouldn't say "regret" but the 458, while being a superior car, is less organic than the F430 I had before. So, some aspects I miss while there are others that are much better.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Umm- how old are you? Christ- your other posts are starting to make sense now.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Don't know why he is here ? Just keeps on bagging the Ferrari ?

Napoli and Viperjoe like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I get it- you don't like the car- but grow up.

11. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    He does it for the attention he thinks he is getting. His posts are neither funny or informative.

OP: I really enjoy the 488.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Overall, 488 is better car than 458. It gives me rich feedback and full of forward momentum than any other car.
    One should not regret of having 488 over any other car.
    I only regret that 488 has super grip, thus it is hard to initiate slide and murders tires.

Afonsolaw and saraojo like this.
  13. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Sold my 458, bought my 488 GTB. Sold my 488 GTB and bought my 488 Spider. Doesn't get better than a 488... just saying.

Oh that's right, disregard my comments cause I'm another poor owner stuck with a 488... LOL

14. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    No regrets love the 488

Afonsolaw likes this.
  15. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I dont think anyone will regret buying a 488. Especially if you actually drive the car regularly not just a thousand miles a year.

Shadowfax and Afonsolaw like this.
  16. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    The 488 Spider is the successor to the 458 Spider, not the Speciale. The 488 Spider is not a track car and has not been lightened.

Compared to the 458 Spider, the 488 Spider has a stiffer chassis, shifts more quickly (downshifts are a real treat), has better grip, accelerates more quickly, has more torque throughout the rev range, is easier to drive smoothly, and is louder (yes, it really is). On the other hand, the 488 has a lower redline (it is difficult to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter until you get used to it), feels heavier (though I don't think it really is heavier), and its throttle response -- while the best I've ever experienced in a turbocharged car -- is not quite as quick as the 458.

I'm very happy with my 488 Spider, and expect to keep it for a long time.

PA Wolfpacker likes this.
  17. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    458 is a great car. I did the DE at COTA in one. Owned one for 3 years. 488 is the most effortlessly fast car I have driven. 488 hands down. I also own a GT3RS and a 911TT makes them both feel slow.

18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Not sure why you want to drift the car? Unless you are in a drifting competition it is not the fastest way around a track.

I would count the super grip as a positive not a negative.

Shadowfax and Bundy like this.
  19. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It is more fun. I am done with going fast for now.
    Yes, I am practicing for drift competition...

As for super grip, stiff and sticky is not always a good thing for a road car to me. I like the car to move around so that I know I drive smooth or not.

20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    This post is so juvenile. Something I tend to see in a Lambo forum.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I may have missed something, but it seems in your video the manettino is on CT OFF, not the last setting ESC OFF - wouldn't it help to select this one if the goal is to drift?
    Also I guess you could play with the tyre pressure (i.e.increasing it).

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nothing here is being written about "not happy"....

But I did speak to people who got rid of their 448's and are waiting to "the next generation" somewhere in 2020 or so.

Owners regretted buying their 488 do exist ... they don't speak much about it imo ... :)

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To be fair, to such question "have any owners regretted buying something" the answer is always yes as soon as there has been a significant number of buyers.
    Whatever it is, "something" cannot please everybody, and while most people not liking it will realise before buying, with a (relatively) large number of buyers there will always be people discovering they do not like it after buying.
    Usually the proportion is low because people investigate before buying...
    With the hype around Ferrari, some people may buy blindly, increasing the potential for disappointment (because they expected something different from what they got).
    But anyway, apart from trying the car and comparing it, looking at why people like or dislike it is more relevant than knowing that some who bought it don't like it, I guess.

Melvok likes this.
  24. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Esc off.. change lever goes back to ct off position even though one selects Esc off mode.
    I try to slide cars with factory spec. So no change to anything on the car. :)

25. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You posted that you will someday sell your 488, and the Speciale you will not sell. And now you are defending the 488 against all critics? Do you just like to argue? With yourself?

As far as the weight, there is physical weight, and there is the experience of weight. My driving instructor grew up with a 100 car collection, including 4 Enzos, and was paid to race in Europe before moving here. Also just set the LeMons 24 hour bicycle record of 590 miles (insane)

He says the same thing, feels heavy.

Hard to say by looking at dealers, yet there are a lot of sexy 488s on consignment here. 1500-4500 miles