Why does my 458 look like a 4 X 4 truck? | FerrariChat

Why does my 458 look like a 4 X 4 truck?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Not sure why they come from the factory with so much space between the fenders and the tires. People ask me if the air suspension is in the up position.

Compared to many other sports cars like Lambos and Porsches it is very noticeable.

So why is the first question and the second question is if I lower it will it effect my warranty?

Seems like the best option to lower is the Novitec springs?

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  2. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Mine sits rather high as well. It shouldn't affect your warranty and most people choose novitecs. I haven't lowered mine because i drive it alot and so it's more convenient at the current height. I drove it in a vineyard a few months ago and even then my rear diffuser fins got damaged..

3. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    My theory is that the front end design of the 458 requires a higher ride height to meet US pedestrian safety regulations. It looks ridiculous imo. Luckily the height can be easily lowered on the stock suspension.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yes indeed it can.

Did you do that ...? Can you tell the readers her how ? And with what values please ?

5. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    had Ferrari dealer lower mine, on stock suspension, was around 2 grand, they also realigned the front end.

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So I would guess if the Ferrari dealer does it then it doesn't effect any warranty?

How is the ride compared to before?

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Does anyone know whether there are different factory set-up depending on the markets?
    I'm really curious about that.

8. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    All new Ferrari are like this for EU chain rules or something silly.

You can lower 1/2" on stock springs and add 12/15mm spacers to get things to look AND ride better. Using a race guy for the setup is best. My FF with this set up is 50% better overall. $1100 in LA at Lucent Motors. He's brilliant.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The factory has told me no- its the same for all markets. I would not lower your car too much on the factory springs. There is a little bit of adjustability allowed but not much. I'd take a guess that 15mm is about the maximum (a little more than ½ inch). Although this is my own speculation I think the ride height is due to wanting to make sure the cars don't bottom out too easily and offer a good ride/handling compromise. Not sure on the warranty question. I think if you make a suspension change and then something happens with the suspension, they are going to argue you caused it. If your radio stops working, I'd take a guess that it would be covered. I like the NR springs for lowering because they are designed to work with the factory setup and they give you more flexibility for lowering. Just make sure you get the right set for your car, one set for cars with the lifter, and another set for cars without. And also note even at the highest setting on the NR stuff, your car will be fairly low and you really do have to pay that much more attention to the road.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. sht

sht Rookie

Oct 20, 2016
    I just lowered mine with Novitech springs and spacers 15/20. I agree, for a car of this caliber the car sits ridiculously high. Next time you see a BMW, Porsche (GT3), or Lambo look how much lower it sits from factory. I love my drop and IMO this is how the car should've looked from factory.
    Check out my post with pix above.

11. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lowered mine almost an inch front and back, ride and drive is great. Have not had any problems. Done by dealer while I still had two years left on warranty.

12. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I have never heard of them giving issues ever about installing the Novitec kits...most of them know the suspension kits they offer are very good quality so it's not like bolting some eBay lowering kit onto them haha. Looks entirely better, and even feels tighter (when you thought it couldn't get better). I can get a kit out to you, and recommend someone for installation in your area when you're ready to pull the trigger Buddy!

13. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    travis - I sent you an email

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  14. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Just got back to you Mike!

15. evommcdmd

evommcdmd Rookie

May 25, 2017
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Mike Cervantes
    I just changed wheels on the 458, 21 rear on 355/25 and 20 fronts 245/35. The car front now sits higher then stock! Rear is the same but front is 1/2 inch higher. Looks like I have to either lower the car or change the front tire back to 235 35 20. I think changing the tire is scheaper!!!! then going to the dealer to lower it.

16. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    I read that a 911 has a 4 finger gap between the tire and fender lip, an S has 3 fingers and a GT3 has 2 fingers....

My 991 Carrera has 3.5 fingers and my 458 coupe has 5.5 fingers.....the ride height is definitely too high......I will be looking into lowering options....

How will it look with 20 - 25 mm lower springs but no wheel spacers?

17. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Also need to consider ground clearance not just wheel to fender gap....

Be interested to see both numbers for the above cars..

On most roads here in the UK lowering is not really an option as to many
    Speed bumps
    Potholes
    Slopes
    Kerbs

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

of2worlds and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  18. ChrisPM

ChrisPM Karting

May 29, 2007
    It would be really helpful to see pictures of different drops; along with details of size of drop, how done and size of spacers used.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

19. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Hi all togeter
    If you lowered your car with oem springs than your car is to soft to dirve with high Speed !!!!!
    Think about this problem.
    The only one solution is to change to Novitec springs
    I tested this with the oem springs.now i ordered Novitec Springs

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  20. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Please post a side view photo of your car. My bone stock 458's stance pleases the eye quite well.

21. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I totally agree, I lowered my 458 with novitec springs because the car has the front lift system and that also is a factor. The car looks and runs great... 20-21" wheels .

My car now has 1 finger gap at all 4 corners

ScottS and Baitschev like this.