308 QV Euro side bold molding or not? | FerrariChat

308 QV Euro side bold molding or not?

Discussion in '308/328' started by LotusS4, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LotusS4

LotusS4 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    Ive been told different answers on this question. On the 1983 308QV Euro that I have been working on for a while now has a rubber body molding along the whole side that almost acts like a door ding protector. I thought originally someone just added it on but have been told by one or two people that maybe Euro models came with it instead of the indent painted black?

Any thoughts lol?

Thank you

John

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    No, there's no molding on my Euro QV or any other I've ever seen in person or photos; just the usual black groove as on all 308s. Any bumper strip will have been added by a subsequent owner rather than the factory.

3. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I've seen such a moulding and the owner claimed it was a special factory custom order so I think it is possible. If I remember well, the one I saw was white.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, but that sounds like B/S to Me.

I've seen quite a few 308 GTB/GTS's over the years, and I've never seen one fitted with a rubber moulding in the waistline groove, and I've never seen pictures of a rubbing mould having been fitted by the factory either.

Had such an option been available from the factory, I feel pretty confident that in the 42 years since the first 308 GTB was seen, and 28 years since the last 328 GTB/GTS left the factory, it would be pretty well known.

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Were you aware that white fender and engine grills were 'a factory option'?

For some customers, the factory would do quite a lot.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Personally I suspect such things are more likely dealer fit. A dealer fit item could easily be described as factory fit after all these years. Memory plays tricks... Chinese whispers... etc

8. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
  9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I wouldn't put it past the factory to charge a customer a couple of thousand Dollars to glue two Dollar's worth of rubber to the car if asked to, but that wouldn't necessarily make it a "factory option", it would simply be a special request.

It's the same with the white grills that have been mentioned: Is that really a: "factory option"?, or is it just something Ferrari were prepared to do additionally to the car as a special request for a customer prepared to pay extra for it?

Right now in the UK, the 2017/18 Ford Mustang isn't available in Highland Green, but I bet if I were prepared a stupid amount of money to Ford, the factory would paint one that colour for Me.

It would be "factory" paint, but it still wouldn't be a "factory option", it would be a special request.

My monies still on these protective side mouldings being owners gluing bits of rubber to the car for a bit of extra parking protection, rather than being an official factory option.

And if it were a factory option, I would have thought Ferrari would have made it available on the 288, F40, 328, 348, and 355 series as well.

I'd have to say as well that, even if the protective mouldings were a factory option, if I had a 308 with them fitted, I'd pull them off straight away because they look as awful as the US-spec park bench bumpers to Me!

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    They are so low in the body line, I wonder if they actually perform the task of preventing a door ding? I think an SUV may wack you about mirror level.

12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    We appear to have our answer. Whose catalog was this? FAF perhaps.

I'd have to disagree with the ad about "not detracting from Pininfarina's design" though

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Looks like a JC Whitney special ...

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    yes, FAF from the late 80's.

15. LotusS4

LotusS4 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    John
    These are the same as I have, guess they were aftermarket :-(

16. 124turbo

124turbo Rookie

Feb 22, 2007
    Franklin Park Il
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I had that same nasty rubber molding on my 83 308 when i bought it. It has been deleted!!!

17. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yuk, it doesn't even fit the channel properly. All kinds of gunk will collect in the gaps over the years.

18. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
  19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah I don't know .. wouldn't want it on any of my cars. Out of curiosity, does it work? As someone else stated, looks like the beltline is too low to offer any protection against most modern cars setting higher? Would be a very boring world if we all thought alike.

20. 76SS

76SS Karting

Feb 28, 2014
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kelley
    It works but these days it really depends on what the other car is. It's grown on me so I kind of like it. If I was going for a complete respray though I probably wouldn't put it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro