Portofino first of the line | FerrariChat

Portofino first of the line

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by sasso1977, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    i had the pleasure and pure joy of visiting the ferrari factory this past friday. First of all i had the smile of a fat kid in a candy shop. it is truly impressive. to see the line in action is marvelous. first the V8's with the determined group of workers busily going about their business. then to the third floor for the the V12's being carefully put together in a much more calm and relaxed manner. but the real prize was seeing the first production portofino in the flesh. Even if it was sorrounded by workers and what seemed to be some press . The lines of the portofino really are sleeker. It is a tough call to say which look i prefer my cali30 definitely has more curves.
    but the portofino has a more refined look. Another nice sight to see was all the old and new F1 cars they keep on the premises.seeing the evolution of these cars thru the years is a really neat. Has anybody else been to modena Lately, id love to hear your impressions. and to say the least that superfast is crazy

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. Definitely a bucket list item...T

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very cool - nice post. I dropped off our CaliTHS today to be sold away, will be bitter sweet as it was my first custom Ferrari and I loved it. But with the Lusso coming and the lack of garage space I had to give up something.. :( It was an amazing car!

of2worlds likes this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #4 4th_gear, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    I'll have to see the PF in the flesh to give a fair opinion on the looks but as for the sound, I'm pretty sure it will be disappointing compared to the Cali30. The PF sound in the official factory video is quite muted.

I'm also not sure about performance because power and torque from turbo engines are easy for the factory to rein in. They can simply restrict the amount of turbo boost at lower gears, like in the CaliT. You notice the CaliT specs don't really blow those of the older Cali away. These cars are all detuned in deference to their contemporary stable siblings for marketing reasons... and most Fcars owners prefer to keep their cars factory-spec.

Yes, I would like to do a factory visit before too long but perhaps not in the traditional manner. ;)

5. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    i got lucky, was on a wine tour of tuscany. organizers set up ferrari factory visit as a side trip.

of2worlds and tomc like this.
  6. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Very Cool to hear - would like to do that someday!

of2worlds likes this.
  7. goldcoin

goldcoin Rookie

Feb 25, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Howard
    I visited the maranello (modena) factory last year. As Ferrari owners, you can ask your local authorised dealer to arrange a more detailed factory tour on foot. The casual/mass visitors are allowed a bus tour only (they cannot get off the bus). But the bus is allowed to make a round directly on the famous Fiorano circuit, unless the track is busy being used for new model testing.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Can't recommend it highly enough. I was expecting a mass tourism type experience but instead we were treated to a very personal tour by an informative and personable host. The fact that she was a beautiful and stylish young Italian woman is neither here nor there. There was a (mini) bus involved but just the three of us and a driver on board to take us between the various plants and facilities. Rosso over Cuoio, since you asked.The downsides? A deepening of an expensive and often fraught love affair with a car maker and an erratic racing team.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Our tour was on foot thru all the different buildings .
    Short bus ride in between. A couple of guys from my group asked if we could order cars there. Lol but non they do not take orders at the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Customer PF's are already rolling off the line?

11. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    I don't know if it was a customer car , more likely a press vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    488 owner here and will be heading for a factory tour shortly, so thank you for the info. Feel free to PM me any tips/details as well.

Truly enjoyed my Cali T HS and really looking back to heading the PF route. The fact that I still lurk the Cali forum should tell you how I felt about it and miss it too!