HVAC/Choke Control Trim | FerrariChat

HVAC/Choke Control Trim

Discussion in '308/328' started by gte619n, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a source for the trim that goes around the HVAC and Choke sliders? A few of mine have cracked and I've been unable to find any. Hopefully someone makes repros?

In case there is a difference, I have a 78' GTB.

Picture shameless ripped off internet:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    $500, ooof. Just a little more than I was hoping. I'll just have to use my standard strategy and wait for something major then "while we're in there".

Is the removal fairly straightforward?

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nope

Superformance stock the bits you require - lesser quality than Verell's but still OK, and much cheaper.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Great, thanks for the links guys. Sounds like this project is sliding forward from "quickie" to "major PITA," in which case I think I'll hold off for now!

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I would say it's straightforward. You need a stubby Phillips screwdriver. You may find some corrosion on the choke slider due to the electric charge. Really no big deal.

Just be careful you don't damage the center console leather/vinyl with the sharp edged of underside of the sliders as move the panel around.

Here were my old ones compared to the superformance replacements. The shape is not perfect but I was very happy with the improvement. Note that the superformance replacements don't fit unless you modify them - the hole for the pivot is the wrong shape for a 308:

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Superformance do not come with labels ... those are hard to get. And they are for the 246 not the 308. And finally Superformance is now run by people who think it's OK to "forget" to credit your card when you return stuff .. they will promise and promise until your 3 months are up and then the credit card company can't do anything. And if you start a dispute inside the 3 month window, they will lie.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    There was a thread on this particular replacement part in the past month... the takeaway I came away with was "you get what you pay for."

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    GT CAR PARTS in phx has nice reproductions, Chrome/metal $35 each

11. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    Great, I'll check those out as well. This is on the to do list this winter!

12. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I got the GT ones. The hole for the lever pivot bolt in the ones supplied by GT are round, the holes in the ones in my 1978 308 were square. To be fair I was not careful in checking that the part number they supply matched the parts specified for my car.
    I was able to file the holes square and all was well. I believe the ones GT supplies are for older cars. They look fine, I would do it again considering cost savings.
    The chrome plating is pretty thin. I put blue painter's tape on the surface to protect it while doing my file work.

I also had a disappointing returns experience with Superformance. They supplied non-useable brake hoses and wanted me to pay return shipping. The parts went in the trash. I would hesitate to use them again.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    I have been away from the forum for a bit, working on houses and my fathers original 74 Porsche. But, I felt I need to put in a well deserved plug for Verrell's finely crafted pieces. They are solid works of art, well made and I am very happy to have a set in my 77.
    He took the time to replicate the design, machining and plating, as well as getting the labels made.
    On top of all of that he is a dedicated gent and deserving of our support for making "unobtanium" parts available.

Do it again in a heartbeat,
    chris

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The ones from Verrell are machined metal and not chromed plastic, and as stated come with labels.
    As the labor is extensive, as others post, I would go for a "one time" fix.

The other thing to know, alluded to above in the comments, is that the three for HVAC controls, are simply sliders operating a bicycle cable.
    They operate duct doors or water diverter valves.

The CHOKE one has a wire from the electrical system on it, as when the choke is ON it lights a dash light, to keep you from burning up your muffler!!!
    HTH