MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 52 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Many of you talk about Ring times like your some type of racing driver yet most of you put like 2,000 miles on your Super Car in its life and almost zero of you go to the track with your cars. Even those that do are likely no where near racing driver levels so the greats mod or performance you will ever need is the driver mod.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To be honest I do not really understand your point; arguably for driving on the road within legal and driver limits no performance car is needed.
    One can however select a car for what it represents in terms of performance achievement (just like one could buy a fine mechanical watch in spite of the fact the most crappy mobile phone will provide the time with more accurracy than needed).
    Trying to benchmark the performance of a car by looking at reviews makes sense in this respect, and does not have much to do with pretending to be a racing driver.
    By the way I occasionnally track my car, and indeed if I want to go faster, I have most probably a lot to gain by improving my skills.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not a rumor. He just quoted someone that was just guessing what they woudl be on another forum.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1280 Shadowfax, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Never said 720 is a "bad" car - these are your words. Youtube? No. I've already stated how I arrived at my own conclusions - Youtube serving merely as additional confirmation the engineering is not all it's claimed to be...such as the consistent scraping and bottoming out on high speed corners and undulations. I also suspect that the Gt3rs was able to stay ahead regardless of the reasons you've offered, purely because the 720's acceleration was unable to compensate. If 720 was really so much more advanced than the 3rs (and we know it is so much faster in a straight line than the 3) then really there is no valid excuse for not rounding up the 3 and passing it with ease, even in the hands of the less experienced, yet the opposite happened.

6. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    My point is many run around talking about these specs all the time. Yet enjoy the car 1 time a month or something on a run to the market. Its ridiculous.

Also obvious to me is that the variables in these tests. Different drivers, different days, different conditions and so on. Yet we compare them as if they are done with super controlled environments.

Sure use it as a way to decide something about the car but to decide only based on ring times like some seem to? That's nuts in my mind unless your tracking cars all the time.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    I like the fact that you consider a car with absolutely awful, wrong, weight distribution to be PROPER

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Well.. for all of the 2rs's weight distribution disadvantages it certainly has set the new standard. Says a lot for Porsche's engineering skills. Maybe in another 50 years time the mac will get there too :)

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The GT2 RS was on way more aggressive tires that you can't even buy yet and it was a factory test driver/professional race car driver who has probably been driving the car non-stop on the track. Take a look at the magazine times for the 918 vs Marc Lieb. Not even close.

7:14 in AZ on Corsas is most likely well 7 minutes if you let a McLaren GT driver do it on new Cup2/Trofeo R, and it will do it while still having a "comfort" mode, skinnier tires, and will be super comfortable to run errands in as a daily driver.

That GT2 RS most likely has rope for door handles LOL

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    #1286 Lone Wolf, Oct 5, 2017
    read noone's reply.
    i used to race porsche. i know the game well. and its worked on you my friend.

being impressed by a lap time is like choosing a beer based on a hot girl in the advertising !! we all do it from time to time and its meaningless!

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #1287 Shadowfax, Oct 5, 2017
    The vid and editorial on the test is quite clear the tires are standard on the car. Why focus on coming up with excuses. The time was set on stock tires. Are Porsche also to be blamed for using a race driver??

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/911/101128/porsche-911-gt2-rs-claims-nurburgring-lap-record

Am I to be impressed or something? So you are better than anyone else here?
    Anyway, doesn't change the facts. 2rs sets sub 7 on stock tires in the hands of a factory driver. Porsche using a factory driver to set a ring time? Is that news? So Mac doesn't use factory drivers to test their own cars and set their own ring times? Or, are the buyers the test drivers?

Meanwhile 720 is scraping and banging around the ring over 7 minutes. It needs a replaceable skid plate like an F1 car if it gets driven hard over anything that isn't ice rink smooth....needs more engineering. All the excuses in the world won't change that.

12. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    funny the 720 i drove didn't bang or skid
    and no you shouldn't be impressed but you should keep both hands on the wheel
    my 991 gt2rs was so boring, hopefully this one will be better

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Essentially confirms what the data shows. 918 and 720S are basically even from 50 to 150 mph. It'd be interesting to see a higher quality video though, these were pretty poor angles. I'm sure they are coming.

14. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    also would be interesting above 150mph, doesn't the front engine decouple on the 918?

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Is this your best advice to others you haven't even seen drive?.... and I guess you having your hands off the wheel was hard learned?

And boring in what way? Not scraping?

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    actually my gt2rs scraped a lot, no lifter...not properly engineered

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    yes at about 170 mph. 675LT kept up decently with 720 though and I've seen a 918 demolish a 675 in person and in videos. These youtube videos are fairly unscientific and as a result difficult to draw true conclusions. Only conclusion is just that the 720S is really fast.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Never heard anyone report a 997gt2rs scraping in the countless vids and tests on that car (assume you mean 997GT2?). Proof? Or is it just your word we are left to rely upon?

What about the 488? Is it scraping like that? Or the 458? Doubt it.

Also missed your account of what made your 997gt2rs boring to drive..

19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    And you realy belief user Kreso guessing. Than ask him why Gebhard an van Saurma drove a 7:13 ring time with the 918 (in sportauto or Az) and the factory pro driver on a not finished 918 a 6:57... Ask him why the aventador Sv did a 7:15 ring time by Gebhard (i think in Sportauto or AZ) and the factory pro driver a 6:xx. Why should the ring time delta between Gt2Rs by pro factory driver and Journo driver like Gebhard suddenly shrink to 4 sec in a 7 min track, when other cars had a delta of 15-20sec. Sorry this guy is just nonsense and probably never saw the ring by his own eyes..
    Educated guess 991 Gt2 Rs driven by van Saurma or Gebhardt will be around 7:05 in the mag test

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I genuilely wonder why it seems the Mc lovers need to deny the facts and make incredible claims :) maybe they're on a mission?
    There might be Ferrari lovers, Porsche lovers or Mc lovers depending on tastes and priorities, but denying facts is puzzling.
    I did not read any Ferrari defenders says the 488 would win a drag race against the 720S if given the right tyres / driver or whatever...
    Youtube vids showing a 720S good at drag racing: the Truth
    Skilled drivers setting times at the Nurburgring: games to impress gullible people
    I can't help thinking this is bordering ridiculous (that's a purely personal feeling however).

Zlaatan likes this.
  21. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    Well not really, take the huracan performante 60hp down, almost 200nm dowm and achieved 6:52 (or 55 correct my if a am wrong). so only around 5 -7sec slower on a 7 mim track dispite a
    hugh power disadvantage.

What Pag and lambo are doing, rent the track, get 2 factory pro driver with massiv skills, a tyre companie with heated tyres and let run the cars as long they can to get this time, wich will not be reproduced in any mag test, because
    the Jornos dont have those driving skills...

Is Ferrari or Mclaren or Corvette any bader,
    as they do not publish Ring times, or
    test as much on this track as Pag or Lambo. Dont think so, Ferrari test more at home in Italy so do Mclaren so do Corvette. A good ring time doesnt mean the same car would performe as well somewhere else as good
    It is just marketing

22. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    so does my 997 Gt2, so does my 991 Gt3 Rs. Wich was undrivable with factory suspension on the ring. Not only scraping but rubing the rear tyres as hell...

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The elephant in the room is...

Unless you are racing for money, why does anyone care which is faster ?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why is anyone responding to someone who writes like this ? He cant be more than 14 years old

Jo Sta7 likes this.