Selling to US buyer? | FerrariChat

Selling to US buyer?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ferrari355Spider, Sep 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would like to sell my 430 which I imported from the US. Anyone know if a buyer from the states would have to pay duties on the car?

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Yes. Since the car is built in Italy, the buyer will pay 2.5% duties.

Then depending on the state, he will get charged sales/use tax of that state.

Doesn't sound too bad right? Well there is one risk. In order to import the car permanently, it has to meet US regulations. This may mean he will have to get the car modified, which can be very costly. Luckily, I believe Canada and US pretty much receive identical cars for the most part. He may be forced to change the dashboard form KMph to Mph, but many inspectors do not care about that.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No, re-federalizing a car is duty free.
    From Us Customs: "A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States."

I'm 360 Canuck and FCat360 like this.
  4. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    This is correct. I had a California registered 360 which was imported into Canada. I bought in Canada and then shipped south and registered in FL to avoid the Ontario?CanadianTire E-test bullcrap.

You may need a letter from Ferrari NA stating that the car originallyally imported into the US and duty paid.

5. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Wrong. Since it was already paid on the car originally they won't have to be paid again.
    At least that's how it was the last time I exported a u.s car.

6. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Sorry just noticed others beat me to it. Sorry!

7. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    If a Canadian you can import it duty free. Regardless, of the spec. But if you do it for a buyer. Major penalties including life ban on entering the USA. To repatriate an American market Ferrari duty free for an American. You need proof the vehicle was registered in a US state at one time. The burden is on the importer too prove to Customs. Most Ferraris meet emissions and safety standards. By law (NAFTA) our laws in Canada can be equal or more stringent then the US laws. But that doesn't every car imported to Canada meets American laws 100%. The US has a law and Canada has laws that don't involve crash standards and emissions. So each can have models that can't be sold outside the spec market it was made for. Labels, etc........ that can't be attached after the manufacture process.

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    obbob is completely wrong. max930 is as overly verbose with the techno babble legalease as he is in the Reza thread.

A Canadian registered US-spec 430 that was originally sold new in the US is an absolute slam dunk to return to the US. There would be zero re-import or US duty fees. About the simplest vehicle international import one could imagine.

Gmack likes this.
  9. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    A Canadian that follows the law. Can import cars duty free for personnel use. Use that exemption for a US buyer. That is tax evasion. Illegal. You will get a life ban from entering the US for a moral turpitude offenses. The exemption from duty for an American. Is proving that the vehicle was at one time a US car. The burden of proof is on the importer. Its not a slam dunk easy deal. It would also be tax evasion if a Canadian kept their personnel Canadian car in the US beyond a year. It would be federal and state tax evasion. The other thread is proof that Ferrari owners are not necessarily bright in finance.

10. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    "A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. This proof may be a state-issued registration card for the automobile or a bill of sale for the car from a U.S. dealer." source: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

11. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    max930 you are one max unhinged bloke. The op merely asked if a US buyer is required to pay duty if they buy his US-spec Ferrari and bring it back to the US where it was sold new. The answer to his question is unequivocally “no”.

Here as in the Reza thread you’re off on a tangent that would be difficult to believe if the forum wasn’t reading it with their own eyes.

Gmack likes this.
  12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its not unequivocally NO!!! My last post was a direct quote from Merica customs. You need to prove it was sold in the US new.

13. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Unhinged? Have you ever crossed the border between Canada and Merica? Have you imported a car from Canada into the USA. And Vice Versa? I have many times..............

14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ever hear ignorance is not an excuse in law? When a grey area exists. In the Canadian system, its customary to also give the consequences if caught in a "grey" area when one exists.

15. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Max930 is correct....best off not to eff with US customs (border). If you play fast and loose, you will suffer. Think about it....no more Disney Land!!!!! That would seriously crush me;)

16. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Doesn't the VIN number specify what market the car was built for?

17. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Yes of course it does. Quit being logical. max930 has less room to rant if you keep it up.

There is an identification tag on a US market F430 as well as every other car sold here for street use since 1981. It has all the information a US customs agent would need to determine that indeed there would be zero duty collected from a US buyer on a US market F430 headed back to the USA.

Oh good heavens. max930 is now ranting in the WA state license tabs thread in the Nothwest section and providing more expert insight. Perhaps he can’t decide which great nation he pledges allegiance to.

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It is no problem bringing a US market car back into the US...no duties will be due.

19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I know of a 928GTS that came to Canada a few years ago from the USA. An American buyer dropped out when it was discovered the car could not be re-imported to the USA. When imported to Canada, the Canadian importer didn't do the proper export with US customs. The penalty is the car can never be re-imported into the USA................

20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    The above happened in the last two weeks.............

21. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Different issue but, yes, I would expect that failing to clear a car with US authorities when exporting car from US to Canada could cause problems if taking the car back into the US for import or even as a tourist.

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I have to think there will be a way to fix that though.....I mean, the car can’t just be banned.

Regardless, in two or three years, it won’t matter because it will be 25 years old.

23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    The 25 year rule covers emissions and vehicle safety. Not customs rules and regulations that if you don't follow can and will bite you later on. Net they want proof the car has been in the USA. You need to prove it with US customs. Including it was exported properly.

24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Right but proof it’s been in the USA is easy enough to get. Past registrations, the selling dealer, etc etc. Heck even Carfax has that information. And when I brought my car in from Canada, I provided a copy of the past Calif registration and a pic of the car wearing Calif plates and that was that. Also, no duties, because it had been here before but it also was a 1984.

Now, why they would care about the car coming back is a bit beyond me. Let’s say you’re customs. What are you looking for? A 928GTS wouldn’t quite be eligible for the 25 year rule, so there obviously would be more scrutiny....

...but my point is, even if export paperwork was improper, how, and more importantly WHY, would they restrict the car from coming back in?

My point is simply there has to be a way to rectify that.

Gmaccormack likes this.
  25. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks for the info guys. I just realized that even with the low dollar doesn’t make sense for anyone in the USA to import a car from Canada. The prices are too low there and way more options. I’m just going to sell it in Canada. What you guys think this is worth:

2005 Ferrari 430 Spider
    Red/Tan
    35,000 kms
    F1 Transmission
    Originally US Car