1999 360 Sales Advice Please | FerrariChat

1999 360 Sales Advice Please

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin from California, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Dear Ferrari Chat Friends:

I have decided to sell my 1999 360 coupe. Has just under 29,000 miles. Color is "retail red" with tan interior.

I love the car, not perfect, but pretty nice condition (except I have been too lazy to fix the "sticky buttons")

[​IMG]

I have it listed on Autotrader for $64,885 at http://click.messages.autotrader.com/?qs=450dc273e7eaca41ea742e1d633f2ffa6574dfc6da455259b180b2b84115ee69ec2a68b4524ad57efa06a50afbe175d2d7ee6402d83be029984d0f6d4be40712

I have tried to price competitively. Started a few weeks ago at just under $68,000. Lowered $500 every week. Then a couple thousand last week. No serious offers yet.

Advice please. Should I get the belt service done? Was last done almost 36 months ago. I believe Ferrari recommends every 36 months. Seems a bit ridiculous. But should get it done? I believe I can get it done for $3,500 (I live near Los Angeles).

Or should I just be patient? Do these cars just take a long time to sell.

Should I list it for sale somewhere else? For example, Ebay seems pretty hokey.

Thanks

Kevin from California

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Everything you can do to make your 'perfect', makes it more attractive as well as gives a buyer less things to beat you up on price. Do all the usual places... auto trader, cars.com, ebay, FChat, etc., and be patient.

3. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Do I have it is a reasonable price? How much are they been selling for a lately

4. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Have I got it at a reasonable price? How much should the 360s been selling for lately

jet likes this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's fall, it's a nice color.. I'd give it some time. I don't think the exotic market in general is on fire. I say be patient, enjoy it while you're waiting for it to sell and belts wouldn't hurt. Keep it in good condition.

6. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    What price have they been selling at
    Thanks for the counsel.

7. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Ummm I might not jump in and do belts and/or other services if your really going to sell. I've tried to sell my car for almost 2 years now. I think it has a bad rap due to some of my posts, I'm just not good at selling anything, and its very difficult for me (emotionally speaking) to sell this car. I got sick of getting offers in the 50s and 60s so I went all in and spent 14K getting it as perfect as I could so I wouldn't have to apologize for no belt service and other items thinking I could join the mid 70K crowd. I got rewarded with offers in the 50s and 60s and a few high 40s. I got one serious offer for 70K finally. If you do my math so to speak it looks like this to me. I would have (or should have) taken 60K that I was actually offered twice prior to getting all the services done and spending 14K. I spent 14K getting everything done short of key fobs. If I would have taken the 70K offer in my mind its like actually getting 56K for the car. In other words the 360 market is so soft that spending money on services hoping to get a better price is pointless. BTW all my offers came from my eBay auction and none from Autotrader.

8. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Thank you so much for your advice. so do I do a buy me now price or an auction with a high enough reserve?

9. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    I'm certainly not an expert but I "think" you should easily get $60k for this car if you have all the service records going back at least 10 years, a clean "Carfax", the belts are within one year old, you can prove by the numbers the clutch has plenty of service left, you have all the tools and manuals in their leather cases, two keys, three fobs. All those things matter for a 30k miles car. They show the car has been taken care of and that's what a prospective buyer is looking for.

I think it's unlikely you will sell the car for any reasonable price if it's been three years between belt service. Few will buy a car like this knowing they're going to have to put a lot of money into it up front. The market isn't on fire for these cars. There are a lot of them around but they continue to be magnificent automobiles.

10. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    #10 daveyator, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    I wound up using a buy it now with a slightly high but within market price with the best offer option. Didn't mess with a reserve. Still haven't sold it yet but the 70K offer wants a first chance call if I change my mind. Ran it for 3 weeks. 46K, 47K, two 60K, 65K and the 70K are the offers I got. My buy it now was 79K and for the 3rd week I dropped it to 75K. YMMV. My autotrader ad is still up just to see but as I said no offers or even interest have come from there.

11. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    You never said what the maintenance history was. Do you have all the things I mentioned in evidence?

12. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Records back close to 10 years. belts were done three years ago, trans redone two years ago so sure clutch is fine. All tools and manuals in cases. two keys. Sorry what is a fob?
    Sounds like I should discount a few thousand or get belt service done.

13. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen

14. drcripp

drcripp Karting

Nov 1, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    David Crippen
    Fob is the immobilizer. Sounds like you are pretty complete except for the belt service. If you wait long enough you'll get $70k I think, but you'll have to negotiate some off to get the belts done I suspect.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Be patient. Most of these car take months or longer to sell. Sometimes years. It's a small market. I'd keep it in the mid-high 60's, with some expected negotiation room for a serious buyer. Possibly even use the belt service as a negotiating point for a new buyer. Everyone likes to haggle.
    Unfortunately, winter is coming, so interest may be lower for a few months.

In the mean time, I would do a quickie cleanup of the sticky interior (search posts). You'll never get your money back from a pro job, but a diy cleanup only takes a few hours, about $20, and will at least get rid of one objection from a buyer who isn't aware of the commonality of this problem. They can always get it redone professionally later on their own dime.

Use this time to do whatever other cheap fixes need to be done.

16. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Do you have the original stereo and wheels? If so, you might have better luck putting those back on.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Informative thread. I'm selling my Spider now too, so it's interesting to see what works.

18. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    It is coming up on three years since belt service so I have lowered price to $61,488 on Autotrader. When I listed for free at cargurus.com it said FMW was $61,500. I suspect they have some info on what these cars are really sellling for.
    I will also list on cars.com and ebay. Any other places you would suggest?

19. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA

20. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I do not have time to mess around just to get a few thousand more. Need cash to buy a new Tesla Model S; just as fast zero to 60 and way cool. The F car was fun; I used to live in Italy and had always wanted one. But I need to get away from the service cost.
    Thanks for advice on sticky buttons, will get that done.

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Have thought about a trade on the Tesla? Would the dealer be open to that? What you save in the sales tax on the Tesla by the trade may help offset the lower price he may offer.

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    No saving on tax in CA.

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    From a quick review of the photos - the car looks nice. It's a bit sad to see it not selling for your ask which I think is very reasonable. IMO, while I love HRE wheels, most Ferrari guys are purists and probably want the OEM wheels (do you have them? Maybe I missed it).

Regarding the stickies - be careful with the self removal options - we just got a 360 set of parts in and the hazard button / parking button and trim are ruined as someone used much too aggressive solvent and it melted the plastic. If you want to clean them up a bit - use rubbing alcohol but don't get it on the leather. We do have a set of pre-finished paddles in house and we could take yours as a core exchange - not very expensive - send me an email (not PM) if interested.

I think others mentioned - if you want to move the car quick, perhaps a dealer would be the best option.

24. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    They have only offered 53,000

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    I do not