Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV" | FerrariChat

Marchionne Comments - Production Numbers and "SUV"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Sad, but inevitable.

tomc likes this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm done with Ferrari, I'll enjoy the great company it was in past.

4. Cucc1967

Cucc1967 Rookie

May 11, 2017
    Has anyone had experience with a triple layer paint from the standpoint of a. Maintenance and b. Repairs from stone chips to repainting a quarter panel? Any input would be appreciated as I wrestle with a 488 Build between Rosso Fuoco and Rosso Corsa.

Thanks,

Cucc1967

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I believe you meant this for a different thread.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've said it before....Sergio will ruin Ferrari...

jjmalez likes this.
  7. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    I'm sure we'll get the usual responses of how bad an SUV would be for Ferrari. But if you accept the idea that Ferrari needs to grow its unit volume faster than the growth of the super-high-end luxury car market, then he basically has two choices. He can reduce prices on the current range - not an answer if the goal is also to increase profitability unless there are big opportunities for cost takeouts, which seems unlikely given Ferrari's scale - or he can expand into new segments. Ferrari has even more of an urgent reason to do so than most marques given the drag on the business currently coming from the race side.

So my question is - give the vicissitudes - if its not going to be an SUV, what should it be? A pickup truck?

They have to do something.

Viperjoe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    They cannot let Porsche get all the money. But on hindsight, porsche has better quality control. Can they match the german automakers quality in mass producing SUVs.
    WE will see.

Brisbane, TopspeedPT and LARRYH like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is what everyone worried about with Ferrari going public. The focus will then be impatient investors and coming up with "double rainbows" every quarterly meeting. The SUV is the current double rainbow and everyone on the street will be thrilled higher production and higher profits... for awhile.

They are shooting themselves in the foot longterm. Ferrari use to be special, a racing company that built road cars to support racing. They then evolved nicely and built truly unique special road cars and that created the reputation of being the best. Ferrari has lived off that reputation for awhile and has even created the 2-year wait and new cars worth more than MSRP myth that is currently fueling it. Ferrari has become less differentiated from the competition and there is much more competition now than the 80's and 90's when it was just Lamborghini, Lotus, and sometimes Porsche. There are now dozens and dozens of manufacturers that are beating Ferrari in looks, performance, racing, and price. When the bubble they've had going breaks it will be exponential. They will then keep increasing production and offering more and more standard cars. Ferrari will be something, but it won't be the same company that created the passion for being the best.

jjmalez, Makuono, wiley355 and 2 others like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Rob, I understand your anger at "you would have to shoot me first" Marchionne - but I do truly believe an SUV will not necessarily destroy Ferrari. I know I may be wrong.

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree. I think a well managed Fiat group with Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, Alfa and Ferrari would probably fill in every necessary niche without having to sacrifice too much of any brand's core values. Instead Marchionne pillaged and plundered for a quick buck...

jjmalez, rob lay and dflett like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The Ferrarista in me cries. The businessman understands. I think they can do the SUV and retain credibility but they need to continue to win at racing. They are doing well in some areas, but F1 needs to do better.

13. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As others have said, when a company goes public, the only thing it worries about is the stock price. This is what drives the decisions at the top, and at times, the decision doesn't necessarily make sense. In order for this to even work (expand market share and consequently profits), Ferrari will need to change their philosophy with regards to how people purchase vehicles. In other words, if they keep the "exclusivity", then are they really going to pick up new customers, or are they simply hoping that current Ferrari owners will purchase the SUV. If it is the latter, then I don't see this being successful as you will immediately limit your customer base. If it is new customers they are targeting, then the current ordering/warranty/service model will not be sufficient to win or even take share. Just my .02

14. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Despite all the level-headed analysis found in this thread, THIS is a sign of the impending apocalypse!

15. Cucc1967

Cucc1967 Rookie

May 11, 2017
    Sorry, new to the forum.

paulchua likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If exclusive means the price starts well above the V12 Lusso that's one thing. If they start showing up like Cayenne's in the morning commute then your GTO story won't go over so well.

17. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    A changing world that us purists don't like at all!

audi_328, jjmalez, bernardo66 and 2 others like this.
  18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I couldn't care less. If they keep building supercars, winning in F1 and GT's, and building class leading sports/touring cars, then if they build an SUV that I'll never buy that's perfectly fine. I don't see how it damages the brand unless it's a dud, which I doubt. I hope they make a Dino/911 fighter as well. Even if it is a dud, look at some of the duds they made under Enzo/FIAT (and there were a few), it didn't damage the brand because they always had something else that was a world beater. Even when the line-up was an aging TR, ancient 412, also old but worked over Mondial (T) and the much maligned 348, they made the f40 so nobody cared.

This is the old rose-colored glasses kicking in making people lament that things aren't like they were, even if they weren't that great 'back then.'

Bundy, uhn2000, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I actually tend to agree with your formula.

- Kick ass in F1
    - Make amazing mid-engine sports cars
    - Make great GT's
    - Make mind-blowing super cars in design and performance
    - Continue with limited production variants of each (some very limited, such as the LaFerrari Aperta and 458 Speciale Aperta)
    - Test the limits with something different every so often - such as a new "Dino"
    - Introduce a raw sports car for the purists - I would love this.
    - Respect the heritage and take care of the past - I think they are demonstrating a new commitment to this as of late
    - Broaden the platform if needed but restrict production and price aggressively
    - Continue the spectacular worldwide client engagement/events they had this past year (which really isn't discussed enough)
    - And, make your SUV. The more I ponder this, what's the big freakin deal?

I agree with bobzdar - I think a lot of people lament the loss of a company that never was. Ferrari had some amazing hits and a few misses. It still is a brand of dreams. Truth be told, I haven't seen many misses, if any, lately. The product line is great and it seems to have a great future. Are they perfect? No, but I don't think its a scorched earth by any means.

uhn2000, paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Pure speculation: if they actually make a Ferrari SUV- or FUV as they might call it (I hope not as the name has some interesting variants)- then I think they likely use a V8 turbo hybrid setup as this will give the best torque and fuel/emissions economy and also likely packaging economy as well (if just). I would expect the pricing to be around V12 GTC4 levels. I think they are different cars. One thing I would like to see is a garage parking mode that allows the suspension to lower enough to fit under most garage lifts.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think the Ferrari SUV will just be the same platform as the Maserati SUV already in production. I doubt it will be 100% a new design...

22. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    He's just pulling whatever he can out of the company before the doom of cars as we know them today

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    For me that would be a total disaster. The Levante to me is easily outclassed by all of its competition a Ferrari built on that platform will be equally outclassed in my opinion, irrespective of the engine put into it.

Really, I fail to see why a SUV is the way to go. Why not the Dino, sell in numbers, common engine with Alfa and the excellent V6 it makes which is essentially Ferrari in some respects. Built 3500 Dino's a year rather than maybe 1000 lumbering SUV's.

I suppose this post needs some context, I am not an SUV fan at all.