Official book collectors thread | Page 88 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Two down and one to go. Volumes 1&2 of Inside Track arrived in Colorado yesterday afternoon and were delivered an hour ago. The carton is 18.6" wide, 18" deep, and 12.8" high. It weighed 18 Kg (28.6 Lbs). The labeled carton with the two books in the slipcover (as shown on the website) was inside with bubble wrap and crush paper. I will post more details soon.

Jeff

furmano and ggjjr like this.
  2. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
  3. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Mine arrived, today, as well. Can't wait to get into it in the next few weeks.

4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Good for you and the others that ordered the Collector's Edition. I made the unfortunate mistake of ordering the Connoisseur's Edition, so have not received a thing. And, frustratingly, GP Library/Watermark Publications do not respond to email about it either.

5. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I think you'll end up happy. That is an heirloom.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The purple signature is printed.
    I always thought this was the nicest version, of the various Editions.

You might put an Ad in our Section up there, as I only noticed your offer scrolling thru the Thread!!

7. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I think so too. I just heard back from Christianne. The cases for the Connoisseur's Edition have been held up for weeks. So I cancelled my order for that and they are sending out a copy of the Collector's Edition right away.

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Mine also says First English Edition. But, it has no facsimile autograph.

9. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I believe BigTex has confused the "Big Red Book" with Piloti, Che Gente. The former came out in 1974, the later in 1983. The former has a facsimile autograph, the later does not. On a side note, in the case of this particular book, I feel very confident that the autograph is not authentic.

10. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    We Brits are very creative people - good at creating stuff - but selling it remains a mystery to most of us - very much including myself. However, if I may use some of this great site's electrons for a moment - here are some of the entirely unsolicited responses from our early, now satisfied, customers for 'Inside Track' - the Collector's Edition.

"Deep and heartfelt congratulations on the book. It is absolutely beyond anything I have ever seen. Fabulous!”

"My copy arrived yesterday. I must say that it is truly a superb effort. It is as good as anything I have ever seen of its type. Warmest congratulations on a real triumph!"

"My congratulations for an absolute masterpiece that far exceeded, for the images as well as for the text, my stratospheric expectations. I have now been collecting car books since more than 60 years, and what I went through for most of the day is just without the slightest possible doubt the nicest one in my big collection. Sorry, but I don’t find the right words to describe it properly..."

"The postman staggered to the door with it this morning at 07.40 - we are about 1 mile from the postal depot - it is everything I expected it to be, and then some... looks brilliant. The reproduction is every bit as bright and sharp as the promo brochure, which was a work of art in itself, and the narrative for each shot just so good..."

"I received my 'Inside Track' books yesterday, wunderbar, the images are superb and the text another masterpiece, nobody does it better, to misquote Carly Simon’s James Bond theme…"

"WOW! I cannot say more... Just WOW!..."

"Simply sublime - But why did it have to be so HEAVY?"

I expect this post will get redacted - but at least I have tried to do the salesman bit...so I hope the editors will cut me some slack here. For we group of Phil Hill's friends who have been crafting 'his book' for so long - these Volumes are much more than just paper, card, linen (or leather) and ink. They are a time machine offering a portal on a racing past...big enough to pass many hours and lose yourself within... And they are a tribute to a genuine 'car guy', one of us.

philhillbook.com

Thank you for your interest fellow Ferrari enthusiasts...

DCN

Jack-the-lad, -CD-, furmano and 3 others like this.
  11. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    My copy is due to arrive Monday. I (very) eagerly await...

12. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Doug,
    It is a fantastic book. Definitely one of the best ever on an automotive subject. Thanks for the work to you, the others, and the Hill family!

George

13. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Thank you George. Nice of you to say so.

DCN

14. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    re Inside Track:

I too am delighted with Volumes 1 & 2. They answered some, but not all, of the questions that I have had since 2004. I am eagerly awaiting the Autobiography. Also, I would like to think that, by stiring the pot periodically for so many years, we on this forum demonstrated a sincere interest in seeing the project completed. It was written off on Autosport several years ago.

Trashidelek! mentioned Piloti Che Genti in his post just above this. I have a copy of the Cartier Edition. It is one of my favorite automotive books, not for its finish, but for its content. It is printed on paper that is barely above comic book standards. I would have been satisfied with that for Inside Track, although, at 6Kg (13Lbs) and 480 pages per volume, it might have rapidly self destructed if it had been printed that way.

Another book on my favorites list for its content is Track Pass by Geoff Goddard and Doug Nye. I have a few books published by KlemColl and a 2-volume set on the Pebble Beach Concours. They are very well done. I have nothing from Palawan Press. Winston Churchill reportedly said "My tastes are simple, I only like the best." In my case, I like what works, so I disqualify myself from commenting about the finish except to say that it works for me.

re the new format and Jack-the-Lad:

I'm OK with the new format but I am missing commentary from Jack. He has not posted here since 6 September, just before the format change. Has something happened to exclude him? He said that he bought the Collector's Edition so he would have received Volumes 1 & 2 about the same time that I got mine.
    The format change initially caused a problem because I sometimes accessed the site using Tapatalk on my phone. I would go to a bookmark for my first post (#1061), which was on 23 February 2012 and was about Inside Track. It was on page 54 and the last page was 109. After the change,Tapatalk woud only go to page 1 of this forum, and no higher than page 44. In disgust, I deleted Tapatalk. Then I discovered the format change. The last page was now 44! I calculated (54/109)x44=21.8. So I went to page 22 and found post #1061. When I logged in tonight, the last page is now 88. After I post this, I will go to page 44 and look for #1061 there.

Jeff

15. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Since my post #1061 is actually on page 43 in the current format, I realized that the calculation needed a bit more precision.

(54/109)x44=21.7 then 21.7x88/44=43.4

Jeff

16. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    re Palawan Press

I lied, but not intentionally. Yesterday I was looking for something else and I picked up Klemantaski Himself to move it. I opened it to the copyright page (4) and discovered that it was published by Palawan Press. But,surprisingly, there is an ISBN but no date on that page. Credits for a color photo on page 17 say that it was taken by Alexis Callier in 1997 at Goodwood during a corporate "fun day". It shows Tony Brooks, Sterling Moss, and Luis Klemantaski standing together.

Alexis wrote a story about it in Club Ferrari Belgio because Sterling drove Alexis' 308QV around the track at speed with Alexis as passenger. A driving lesson from Sterling Moss. You can't beat that.

A little research revealed that the book was published in 1998. It has 398 pages. Most of them are numbered, but there is no index.

Jeff

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Blanco-TdF

Blanco-TdF Rookie

Feb 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just rechecked. I does have an index. It is 5.5 pages long but my 10 minutes to edit had expired before I got back.

The story by Alexis is in Issue No. 10 of Club Ferrari Belgio (1997). It is in French and mentions Stirling's bretelles. Google translated that as "braces". That threw me off for a while. The photo in the in the book shows him wearing the same red suspenders.

Jeff

18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Inside Track looks like a fantastic collection of photographs and relevant information. Maybe I'll be able to purchase a set one day. :)

-F

19. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Fantastic book, and a great read.

George

20. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Please......STIRLING (like the town in Scotland)....... not 'Sterling' like the currency or adjective.

Paul M

21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Keith Bluemel's new book - "Ferrari 250GTO - The autobiography of 4153GT". Just arrived. This must have given the postman a workout! 320 pages with lots of great period photos and smooth reading text that is typical of Keith. Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and NürScud like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Keith always does a terrific job.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

I believes Sachs now owns the Klementaski Collection...I finally afforded the now long out of print 'Klementaski and Ferrari.'

Both great titles.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not sure if this has been posted here already or not.
    A book about Armando Spatafora, Italian policeman, who used the police car Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2 chassis #3999 GT.
    This book came out about 7 years ago already. Italian text, 205 pages, a few not so good quality bw photos of the GTE. Front and rear cover scans here.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2200 miurasv, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Disappointingly very few pictures of the engine. I think there is only one picture of the engine which isn't a full picture of the whole unit plus a snap shot of the Classiche picture of the original 4153 unit.