F1 problems possible micro switch | FerrariChat

F1 problems possible micro switch

Discussion in '360/430' started by Night life, Oct 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I have been having a engine lid warning light periodically in my 430, I do believe that it is also a warning light for the F1 system as well. We initially thought it was brake pedal switch so we replaced it, seem to work fine for a bit then warning light came back a few hours later.

Now this is where it gets strange, I tried to look at micro switch located by the rear engine lid, I took assembly apart, inspect switch, made sure it was activating, reassembled with horrible results.

Now Engine lid light stayed on, as well as CST off warning, brake light warning, as well as the car with arrows (see pics) , I also could not engage in any gear.

More to follow read on Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Top pics are generic

Continuing on:
    I assumed it was the micro switch so I took it all apart again and tried to override the switch, to no avail, it would still not let me go into gear. I then disconnected the micro switch, started car and it finally went into gear, I then closed engine lid and it stopped going into gear :mad:. For what ever reason I can only put car in gear with engine lid open LOL.

I then decided that it has to do something with the third brake light connection, so I placed piece of tape across connection point, closed lid and voila I was able to put it into gear, except all warning light s still on, it beeps every time I go into gear, and I only have snow setting or normal driving, I can not engage Sport to Race modes.

So now I am at a loss, is it possible the micro switch needs to be working properly before it will give a proper reading to ECU?

What exactly would trigger the CST off, as well as Brake light and engine lid light, also the abs light as well.

Any suggestions, has anyone else encountered this scenario? Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sounds like a scan is in order to find out what the car thinks is going wrong and why it won't let you put it into gear. With the video e-diff issues are pretty well documented. Could be solenoid.. with all the electrical issues it might be some diagnostic work to find out what the issue is. I'm not personally that familiar with the 430 wiring loom to suggest where a short might be or if component failure could cause multiple issues..suspension light on the 360 is usually.. usually the sensor behind the passenger side engine compartment cover. Problem is SD is required to find out exactly which component gone bad. You sure grounds are OK?

Sorry the car is acting up! :(

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What is the condition of the battery?

whatheheck likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This is a VERY valid question... if in doubt or older than 3 years replace it IMHO.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Battery is 2 years old, I always have a trickle charger on it, I am 100% positive that is not the problem, but I will double check as well as ground.

I am pretty certain though that the silly little micro switch has something to do with it, I do not have the luxury of having the codes read, nearest dealership is 8 hours away.

It's obvious it is a recurring problem as there are many posts or vids on it, but none of them ever tells you of a proper solution, they all post problem but never solutions how to resolve it, Lot of ppl adding in their opinion and it all gets washed over, very frustrating...

8. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    HOLY S H I T I found the problem :), at least to most of my problems :p

Why this didn't even dawn on me in the first place is beyond me, I was worried about micro switch (which I assume is still bad or about to go.)

One silly little 15amp fuse threw all those warnings off, it was the stop light PDF5 fuse located behind passenger seat :mad: I must have been having continuity issues with third brake light and possibly micro switch, that trigger fuse to blow which for some ******* e d up reason set off suspension CST off, E gear, abs etc...

For now all seems fine I will keep updating if anything changes as hopefully this will be useful info for others. One fuse should not have trigger so much except for the order it happened in I assume.

Long day of Gremlin chasing, beer time :D

Bob in Texas likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My understanding is, the way the F430 is designed, if the brake light is out (or brake light fuse is burned out) the F1 system will not go into gear. This is the 2nd reason I went with LED brake lights. Primary reason of course is I love LED's as they are instant on and very bright and does not heat up and burn the brake lights plastic lens.

Another thing you may want to do / try is to scrub the engine bay hood close switch contact plate with fine sand paper. Sometimes the hood close switch will not engage due to that contact plate being dirty.

Dan

10. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #10 Night life, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Way ahead of you pal :), my car was a show car for JLC lighting, it is complete LED top to bottom, every single light was converted to LED, looks amazing.

I had sanded the contact between engine hood and body for the third brake light a long time ago with no difference.

But what I did find later on while investigating is now I believe it is my Brake switch, again a simple part to order and replace. Reason why I believe it is the brake switch is after I came home from testing car, I turned car off, but kept accessories on so I could reset the stereo functions.

While I was doing this that dreaded long beep and warning light of the engine lid came on :mad:, odd as the car was off just acc on. As I was getting out I accidentally stepped on the brake and to y surprise the warning light went off, I let go of the brake and "beep" warning light came back on, I repeated this 10 times with always the same result.

If it was anything else that caused this issue then it should have worked in reverse, meaning you make contact when you press the brake therefore opening a circuit. So I am now convinced it is a faulty brake switch, I called my mechanic he confirmed that this is a common issue with the 360/430, probably another reason why my brake light fuse blew.

Hope all this info helps others, silly that one can be left stranded or chasing 5 different gremlins because of one .50cent fuse.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing your findings.

Yes, Ferrari chose a very cheap brake light switch and it is another common gremlin issue on 360 & F430's.

Glad to hear you too converted all your lights to LED's. Me too, except for the headlights.
    Can you share with us how you converted the HID headlights to LED's?

Dan

12. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Hi Dan, the headlights are still xenon, but the marker light strip in the headlight are LED and they switch from white to amber when singling. I didn't do the install it was JLC that did it all.

Cheers

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it. Thanks for the info.

I will be converting my HID headlights to LED's soon and will share here what I learned and post a DIY thread.

Dan