MCLAREN 720S OR 488 | Page 56 | FerrariChat

MCLAREN 720S OR 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by doccharlie954, Jun 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yet you didn't buy another one after...

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why would I?

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That was my point. Someone said people will always want the 430 599 etc. I disagree. They'll only want it in the sense that there is a buyer for every car at some price point. It doesn't mean it's so highly desirable though.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd buy a 458 again.

dustman likes this.
  5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That I believe. It's still a great and relatively modern car. 10 years from now I think that will change just like it has changed for the 360 and 430.

6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m not sure what your point is. I don’t see people lining up to buy 12c or 650s either.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When did I make a point that they were?

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You are criticizing the mayor for not buying another 430. I’m just pointing out people don’t gravitate back to cars they already own.

9. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    I believe that the 360 and 430 are less attractive not due to the design or driving satisfaction but rather to their maintenance factor being significantly higher than that of the 458/488. Ferrari, like Ducati, did a major shift in design mentality and QC. That being said I also believe both those cars will be much more desirable to more people for a longer time.

Now enter Mc, the MP4C was their fledgling car, good not great it was a kerning prices for them in many ways. The 650 much better addressing many of the shortcomings of their previous model. The 720S is a major leap just as the 458 was to the 430 not just a evolutionary step addressing almost every concern improving massively

dustman likes this.
  10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, I was just pointing out exactly what you're saying. Just because people like or liked them doesn't mean they actually want them anymore. I wanted a 430 when I was 20, didn't have one, but don't want one anymore.

Sure, for the right price I'd buy one ($40K maybe), but that's true for every car. At some price point, just about every exotic car has high demand.

11. MagicMikeAtl

MagicMikeAtl Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    Haha! If you don't want honest feedback then you can go back to dreamland...I welcome your overlooking of my post.

12. MagicMikeAtl

MagicMikeAtl Rookie

Aug 24, 2017
    I always say that the only true perspective is one that comes form actual ownership. Many like to to read reviews and fell as though they are experts. I also recognize that my perspective is merely that-mine. Others may differ. But still...I LOVE the 458. And when I turn that key and pres that little red button I just light up! ;-)

SoCal to az likes this.
  13. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am curious to hear more of the areas where you like 458 more than 488 besides sound, that is only area I can see that is better.

I have driven quite a few 458s, amazing, but the styling is just too dated and too feminine with exception of black 458s which looks very aggressive for some reason. I had chance to purchase 458 a few years back, but went with the LP550-2 gated manual which had similar performance.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's just silly.

Act actually I looked for a couple of years for a 6 sp manual red/ tan spider but it's like finding hens teeth. Now they are just overpriced collectibles which I have no desire to own.

I decided if I was going to get another it should be "different" just because.

But the F430 spider is a really fun car to drive topless.

15. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Topless? You or the car??

SV

iloveferrari likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Now THAT'S silly! :)

17. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You owned 650 for 11 months (so bought in November 2016?). You bought it new and it's value has gone down by $118K in that time. I don't think anyone would have been buying a brand new 650 at full MSRP so late into 2016.

For some reason people on FChat like to talk a lot about depreciation. Usually, people who don't own the cars or play in the used car space and buy already fully depreciated cars. The people who play in the new car space seem to isolate the gain/loss to one car without actually disclosing the loss cars to get to that one car that had minimal losses.

I'm assuming to get to your 488 spider, you bought your f12 and probably lost $50K to use it for less than 1000 miles and drove it for a few months? Prior to that a Cali T with probably a loss of $40K or so?

18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy

I know exactly what you mean, nothing like a Ferrari!

19. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Sorry for the late reply. But i think it might be because the gt3 he drove got super close to the factory driver. Then again, it was on the same day their factory driver drove it...

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I bought the presumably last built 650S coupe (probably one of the most exclusive McLaren built in 2016... ;) ) more or less at full MSRP, fully equipped with a lot of additional MSO parts, specified to 100% according to my wishes. And because I just enjoy the car and I will not sell it, I have not lost one dollar. Depreciation: a very theoretical and relative term.

21. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually, I'd been looking for a specific color on the McLaren for some time. Found it out of state and bought it. I'm not sure where you get your stats as far as NO ONE buying a new McLaren that late into the year. They sold a bunch of cars and someone had to buy them. But, okay. You win. I'm an idiot. As far as the Ferraris, broke even on the F12, lost 10K on the Cali T, made money on the 2014 Cali. But it's nice too know that someone is so up on my car buying history. Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. vrdjs

vrdjs Karting

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious, if you've managed to find another way up the Ferrari ladder, please share.

23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    My stats is no one was buying a car that late into the year at MSRP. For people who are very interested in depreciation then I'd imagine they would have done their homework at what cars were selling at before they would have bought a car at MSRP that late into 650 production.

For you to have broke even on the F12 you would have to have sold over MSRP on a 2017 f12 and to lose $10K on a Cali T you would have had to sold over MSRP also (I'm assuming your loss/break even includes all the other costs associated with having the car (registration, seller's commissions, financing etc.). Not to question it so much but it's a good bet that every f12 owner in the last two years took a blood bath on an f12 ($90K loss just between what I bought mine for and proceeds on sale in one year with 4,500 miles).

btw; when people are going to make such claims then people are going to go through a person's posting history. A number of people commenting on here who don't own either car or own one car and making comments on the other car. An earlier poster said that this thread resembles the comments on a youtube video (I'd say a lot of people including me would agree with that).

With regards to any other way to move up the ferrari ladder - judging by the increasing number of postings on this forums, it doesn't seem like a person is going to need buying history to get a 488.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    FWIW....Huracan Performante came in. Unexpectedly, this is an incredible car! The 488 Spider and 918 are not getting any love now. Thats how good the Performante is. Super loud and visceral!
    Depends what you want out of a car, but I am truly stunned.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    No, that was a good one. :)