Abarth Ferrari exhaust system | FerrariChat

Abarth Ferrari exhaust system

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ferrarip4, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  2. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    ANSA was not used by Ferrari until the Daytonas. I believe that Ferrari required ANSA to make replacement exhausts for several of the more popular prior models.
    That's why you see ANSA exhausts on earlier models, including the 330 GT. For that model, Ferrari first used Abarth, than Spacem and finally Cerreto exhausts (based on build sheets I have). However, you will find ANSA exhausts on practically every 330GT (including mine) as the other companies are out of business and ANSA are the only ones available excluding the ones in stainless steel like Timevalve. In fact, ANSA went out of business, but another company purchased the rights to make ANSA exhausts, but did not purchase the name. See http://www.classiche-exhaust.com/classiche-exhaust-history.php..

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    phunny, my 330GTS series II came with ANSA exhausts as OEM...

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I agree with Kerry. I believe Ferrari did not use Ansa till Datytona/246

ferrarip4 likes this.
  5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    nice arbarth repro on 275 at monterey 2015

6. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    My understanding is that Ferrari purchased the "mufflers", "silencers", "cans" from Abarth. They were then fit to their respective chassis and tubing was attached by Ferrari fabricators. I also believe that Ceretto and Specem were able to supply a more "complete" system, evidenced by the presence of consistency in regard to finishes, either silver or black Image Unavailable, Please Login .

Judging by the attachment fixtures, I'd say your example system is not destined for a Ferrari chassis

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Dustin - which book is that picture from...seems very interesting reading.

8. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi Kerry
    Just to add...I just purchased an Abarth system, in steel, from Timevalve for my series 1 330.
    Cory

9. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    That picture is I think from Graham Gauld's book "Modena Racing Memories". There are several other excellent reference photos in that book, one of the best being a picture of a factory workman doing final assembly on a 128C engine. You can clearly see the finishes on the motor and interestingly, the spark plug wires in this instance appear to be gray.

10. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #10 ferrarip4, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Thanks for pointing to that picture. Here's a close up of the silencer. Definitely an Abarth item. and yes it looks like the same silencer to my 1st picture... The picture from your book is by Edward Eves taken in March 1959 and shows the chassis of a California Spyder. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you for posting. These type of pictures are among my very favorite. They reveal so many interesting details, including the working environment, lack of protective safety equipment and gear for employees, etc. and can make one wonder how often and what kinds of personal injuries were common in those days.

Assuming the stencil painted white numbers 152 & 154 seen on two of the chassis are for assembly identification and looking at the back ground in relation to their location, one can assume the chassis turned upside down with Abarth mufflers and engine block is number 153.
    Also, assuming those are assembly sequence numbers, would anyone care to identify final VINs these chassis ended up under ?

Oh, and the name of that book, please ?

13. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore

"Ferrari The Factory: Maranello's Secrets 1950-1975" ISBN 1-58388-085-2

I believe a majority of the images were taken by Karl Ludvigsen.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you !

15. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Always impressed by the clothes and especially of the shoes, they weared during the 50/60th.....

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    One can only imagine the public outcry and ridicule if some one today was photographed grinding and welding in such proximity of nearly finished & uncovered Cal Spdr. :rolleyes:
    Just shows what really went into (pun intended) building these cars back in the day. ;)

17. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
    Here is one of my copies of a complete Abarth system. Had an original Lusso, series 3 GTE and series 1 PF coupe for examples to replicate from, with 100% matching detail with exhaust gussets and parts number tag, with correct style clamps and wrinkle paint. Have done them in Stainless steel or in mild steel

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

ferrarip4 likes this.
  18. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Those are works of art. Nice job getting all of the details correct. It really makes a difference.

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I got a set from Greg... great quality and fits together very nicely, and looks a dead ringer.

john

20. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Beautiful! Too bad you can't use the Abarth logos to complete the period look...

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Mild or Stainless ?

22. GSJFerrari

GSJFerrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 12, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Jones
    ferrarip4 likes this.
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    They look great, Greg. Would you mind sharing what approximate time you've spent on average to fabricate a set ?

24. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Timo, it's stainless

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA