Question: Just installed a 2002 TCU into my 2000 360... | FerrariChat

Question: Just installed a 2002 TCU into my 2000 360...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Wayne 962, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I disconnected the battery (switch in trunk), swapped the units (TCU - Transmission Control Unit), and then went for a drive. This is a stock 2002 unit (no CS flash upgrade.... yet). Immediately, the car felt a lot smoother, especially backing out of my driveway, which is up a slight hill. Shifting seems a LOT better, although I admit, I may be experiencing a placebo effect. Although maybe not, as the reviews and comments on these early F1 TCU are fairly bad, and my car drove "questionably" to be polite.

So my question is, should I take the car into the dealer to have them relearn the clutch and set the PIS? The car seems to be driving very well at this moment in time, which might mean that the clutch PIS setting on the prior car is similar to where mine needs to be at? I was going to take it into the dealer, but I thought I would just try it out, out of the box. Seems to drive fairly darn well.

Thoughts?

-Wayne

2. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It doesn't know what your previous PIS was, you got lucky. Almost everyone else here would probably recommend you get it setup properly by a pro, but in my opinion, if you think it is driving really well I wouldn't mess with it because an F1 system that is running good is like a ******** miracle!

3. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I think I might drive it some more and see how it feels?

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In my opinion, on a level ground and if you put it in 1st gear, let go of the brake and the car doesn't roll, then the PIS setting is within the ball park. I personally would spend the money to get it adjusted professionally.

5. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, I certainly didn't notice that tonight, but I specifically didn't check for the clutch drag when driving. I will do that tomorrow.

6. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Forget the PIS for now - your biggest concern is the selection and engagement thresholds.

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    That would be set by the "auto-learn" setup feature of the SD2 at the dealer?