F12 in automatic | FerrariChat

F12 in automatic

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Jeff Gilliam, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Gilliam

Jeff Gilliam Rookie

Dec 25, 2016
    I know I know I shouldn't be driving this car in automatic but from time to time I do. Just wondering if any of you are having issues with the transmission in automatic. Mine seems to stay in a high gear too long and in traffic from time to time it's not smooth at all. When I shift myself I don't have any issues. I only have 600 miles so far so maybe this works itself out.

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    No sure about the F12, but at least the automatic works fine in the FF when one decides to not continue with spirited driving. What I still don't understand is this whole thing about "easy auto exit" and regular "auto."

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    O...I think of you turn it off in manual, it turns back on in Easy Auto Exit mode, which then stays in manual the first time you use the paddles. In the regular Auto, it'll switch back to auto mode after a few seconds. If you turn car off in regular Auto mode, it'll be in that mode upon restart.

OP... For what it's worth, my Cali is kind of clunky in auto mode, stop and start traffic. When it's down in the low gears. If I'm driving in Auto on the highway, it's smooth. In those cases, items usually in 6th or 7th...T

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My F12 is similar that it will seek the highest possible gear when in auto mode. But I don think the shifts are too rough. I usually drive in manual as well, but if I encounter stop and go traffic I might pop it into auto mode.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I will have to try that by pulling the paddle before turning off the engine next time to see if turns back on in Easy Auto Exit.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I also like to drive my F12 in manual and several weeks ago something happened that frightened the hell out of me and I'll mention it to you for a question of precaution. I was driving on a costal road with little traffic and when I got to a straight there were two cars in front of me and I prepared to overtake them. While I was overtaking the first one I see another car coming on the opposite direction and in order to overtake the second car faster, I pulled the left paddle to reduce one gear and accelerated. As soon as I did that the rear of F12 went right and left but fortunately I was able to recover the control and overtake the second car but 1 mile ahead I stopped a bit in shock and checked the tires to see if there was some problem. The tires looked perfect so I wondered what happened and didn't arrive to any conclusion. However some weeks later I was reading a post placed by Jerry ( Caerruleus11) about a similar situation and I started figuring out what could have happened. The ground around that road is sand and the tarmac also looked a bit polished and I think the combination of these two factors with the big torque increase of the F12 when I reduced one gear and accelerated nearly created the perfect storm. After that episode I've been much more careful about where I reduce gears and accelerate.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    When accelerating hard the back end of my F12 frequently squirms around, sometimes alarmingly. It also tram-lines like crazy so I chalk it up to huge torque and Pirelli with hair-trigger suspension and steering.

The times I have driven in auto is because I have a phone call, or it is "date-night" and driving along with wife chatting away...in those circumstances it is usually light accelerator peddle pressure and casual driving in sport mode (essentially asking it to perform like a normal car)..auto function is smooth and flawless.

Needless to say 98% of the time it is in race mode and manual! :D

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    What tires do you have and what manettino setting were you in? Good observation on the road conditions, it may help to know the tires and setting...

SV

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's a scary story Mario but all too familiar. Never take the F12 for granted. I have learned to respect the drivetrain by driving more and more in ESC OFF when in ideal country road conditions and no traffic. I find in the other modes the rear brakes drag to provide the traction control and other supervisory functions. With all aids turned off you must be careful 100% of the time and you get a great feel for the power/traction relationship. Not advisable in traffic or in poor road conditions. Relying too much on the nannies can get the F12 to swap lanes instantly with bad results.

10. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Plain physics - too much torque at once for only the rear wheels.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The tires are the Pirelli's PO and the manettino setting was Sport when that happened.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Driving with the manettino in ESC OFF is something I haven't done on the road yet. As you say and I agree it's a very straight forward way of one being aware of what the F12 is capable and probably the best precaution medicine we can take.

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mario, very scary. Sorry that happened! I find in the US on most roads in clear and warm temps (above 65F) I can accelerate without much worry. Sometimes this is the system helping out- I can feel it apportioning torque side to side via the e-diff and F1 Trac software. I think this is one of the great abilities of the F12- its useable in real world conditions. Such is the traction. I think if the road material crates less friction where you are, then you have to be more careful. Also, I think the P-Zero generation on the F12 is not as good as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Some people prefer Pirelli tires, but in general I prefer Michelin. I think you might find some more traction with the Michelin tires as well- though if you can wait I would see about the new MP4S (or whatever its called- the successor to the MPSS). An high end installer shop I frequent had a set of these tires, brand new, next to a new set of Pilot Super Sport tires- and this is very unscientific, but they just felt so much stickier!

To come back to the topic of the thread, I had my car in traffic in auto the other day and it behaved just fine. No problems at all.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry I'm really thinking of changing the Pirelli's PO by the Michelin's PSS. Recently enquired about the PSS 4S and was told they not available yet and they don't know when they'll be. I wonder if it's worth waiting.

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think then its not worth waiting because who knows how long it will take and the MPSS are very very good. They really helped my 599.

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mário,

First of all I'm glad you are OK and it was nothing but a scary moment.

I strongly advise against using auto mode, except in some city traffic circumstances. Kickdown is OK but not the same as if I was physically operating the paddles, and I always feel less connected with the car whenever I'm not in manual mode. Downshifting in auto is less intuitive, in my humble opinion.

Regarding tyres: Pirelli seem less grippy in general and noisier. In my opinion, they give a harder, stiffer feel. A more "woody" feel. Michelins are wonderful, but wear off quickly (a consequence of being wonderful!). I recommend the Michelins if available, they're worth it. The best tyre I've ever had in a sportscar (have them in my 355 and 458).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno, nice to see you around and I'm glad you're fine.

I agree with you regarding the Pirellis and after receiving advice from other F12 owners I'm seriously thinking of changing them soon by the Michelins PSS. I had the Michelins in my previous Ferrari and I really loved them.

Take good care and I look forward the opportunity of hearing your white polar bear.

Regards

Mario

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    There is also the new successor, Michelin PS4S but still no sizes available for this car yet.

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I thought PSS would last longer than P0 due to PSS having higher wear rating.

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree - it feels to me that Michelin have softer feeling sidewalls and Pirelli have harder feeling side walls. I like how the Michelin feel better and if that means I have to replace the tires a little more frequently, then I am prepared to do it.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi Mario.

I had Pirelli on my FF but specified MPSS2 on my F12. They are a great tyre and I would highly recommend them. I am surprised that even at the low morning temperatures we get in the UK I've had issues at all yet.

The best way a can describe them is that they feel like they grip at lower temperatures whereas the Pirelli just feels like it's sitting on the road, not gripping it.

I avoid using the auto on mine. I think the upchanges are far to early and presume they have been set thus way to help fuel consumption fighters to keep the bureaucrats happy. ;-)

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Justin thank you for your advice on the tires. I've already taken the decision and despite of the fact the Pirellis are almost new, I'll change them for the Michelin PSS.

deltona likes this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you will really like the change Mario. Maybe you can sell the Pirellis? Or find a Ferrari friend who needs them?

MDEL likes this.
  24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry thank you for the advice on the Michelins PSS. what I'll probably do with the Pirellis is to keep them and if one day in the future I decide to do a track day I'll use them.

25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That sounds like fun!

And to keep to the thread topic, I suggest you not use the automatic mode on the track :)