Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist?? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Yellow 288 GTO; how many exist??

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by adamF430, Sep 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm very close (500 meters...) to know what purpose that dome on the prototype engine lid had

Ciao

Acacg and of2worlds like this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great!

Let us know what you find out.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No carbed engine was ever installed on a 288 GTO prototype, so the purpose wasn't that.

This is official.

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good to hear, now we know that the sources that indicated this application were incorrect.

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Two weeks and I will also know the answer about who painted the yellow GTO, and when

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #132 Albert-LP, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017

I mean that I will have in two weeks an official answer: this one that I will talk to in two weeks, was there and will stop any further discussion.

I already knew that no carbed engine could have been istalled on a 288 GTO prototype (there is no room for the carb that had to feed cylinders No.1 and No.2), but I wasn't there: I asked to the one that was there and he said "No". The box on the deck lid wasn't there for a carbed engine: this is a "no" and there cannot be any other discussions about that.

That is what I mean as "official answer": that's not a opinion wrote by someone, but it the truth told by someone that saw things in person at the time they were made.

Ciao

PS
    The dome on the engine lid just was there for the sensors and instruments fitted on the engine during the road tests. NM said that.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Your welcome l ami !
    Very rare, and so desirable.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Albert, my post http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145561662-post131.html only refers to WHO painted this car yellow and WHEN.

We have already established via your good efforts that the rumor of a carbed engine was incorrect, accepted this and moved on, besides, this thread is entirely about yellow GTOs.

Based on your post http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/145560914-post130.html let us know what you are able to definitively confirm about the painting of 47649 specifically, I'll be interested to see what is proffered to establish who & when.

Thanks.

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #135 Albert-LP, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Joe Sackey is right: no 288 GTO ever leaved the factory in a different color than red, nor this "yellow" one did. The full story (that is completely different from the one that is written on the auction site) will be on my book (that is about the four turbo cars of the eighties, not just about the 288 GTO)

This is official (or, at least, it's what I was told from the one that got it from Ferrari factory)

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Alberto you are much closer to the source of this information. Thank you for sharing your advice regarding these matters; especially that yellow 288 GTO regards test instruments! A logical yet elusive detail to be sure of for 47649.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #137 Albert-LP, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    The
    Thank you very much for your appreciation. The news I learned today are really BIG news. This, once more, proves how many bullshits are written about those cars, just because people just repeat and report what they read somewhere instead of going to the source.

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Not everyone can visit the as you say 'source' so a few people generally control the available information. The myth surrounding many details is difficult to cut through and in some ways Ferrari seems to like that situation!

Albert-LP likes this.
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I also learned who told the incorrect news about the dome of the engine lid and the carbs: One that belonged to the sales department and not a technician, so he probably told a lie instead of a "I don't know" that would have been more correct. Then everyone repeated what he told without checking if that was true or not.

You have to consider that just last Monday I visited the Galleria Ferrari in Maranello and below a 308 GTB there was written "255 hp". We all know they were SAE HP: They are 230 HP Din (as there is written on the car official DOT documents) that was the official measure here in Europe. An error repeated for 42 years

Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you Alberto.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #141 Albert-LP, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    this very kind and professional guy is THE source: another incredible piece of Ferrari history, directly from Modena. I'm really lucky to live so close to the factory and therefore having the possibility to know and meet so may inportant characthers that gave their contribute to an Italian legend. He told me an incredible story about the "yellow" 47649: we have to thanks him if that car is still alive. And he told me many others very intersting details about the F cars and the Commendatore himself, that he saw every day. They will be all on the book, if one day I will complete it... ;)

ciao

Attached Files:

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I always read your posts with interest, please publish the book one day. I am sure it will be fascinating reading!

LVP488, of2worlds and Albert-LP like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Keep recording and writing while the memories are still fresh for this Ferrari turbo history. Soon then you will have a book to share!

Albert-LP likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you both. I recorded all the interviews, so I can listen them again if I forget something.

It's really a pleasure to go around and ask to the men who did (a part of) the Ferrari history: each one tells you something from his point of view and the part he did and he lived in person, as there isn't anyone that did everything and know everything, nor even the most famous Ferrari characthers. You collect them all (or, at least, several) and you then see the story that comes clear and you finally learn how the things really were. Materazzi (the project leader of three of the four road turbo cars) knows really a lot (he is a God gifted man), but doesn't know the part of Vincenzi (the one that wrote all the turbocharged Ferrari service manuals and teached all over the world the official assistance mechanics, and that got the 47649 from Factory), nor knows the part of Morreale (the Kuhnle, Kopp & Kausch Turbolader tech man) nor knows the early 208 turbo that was done by his team mate Rossi. I already met the first three and it was an amazing experience, learning BIG things you cannot find anywhere: there will be also the part I remember directly (as I'm 55 years old) and the part that Enzo Ferrari told me in person in 1987. I still have to meet Rossi, then I can close the book and concentrating about to find some 126 CK and 126C2 pictures with Gilles Villeneuve on them, I must that I want have on my book: belleve it or not, the most difficult thing (for me) is not to collect infos that nobody still has all together, but to find some copyright free pictures of the 126 CK and 126 C2 F1 cars while racing in 1981 and 1982.

Thank you very much again for your appreciation: I will try to do my best with that book

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  21. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Is this 47649 picture copyright free and can I publis it on my book? Who is the copryright owner?

Thank you very much!

The real story of this car is the opposite of what I read up to now, and it's almost incredible. We have to thanks Mr. Vincenzi if we can still see the car today.

ciao

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #149 Albert-LP, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    those are two pictures that Nicola Materazzi showed me: the first, carbed F114A, never went on the car, nor into any prototype.

These are his own words

Materazzi also told me which brand the carbs were, and why: the "why" is an incredible story, as incredible as the whole carbed F114A engine story

ciao

Acacg likes this.
  24. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Copyright is not free...now who did this picture? For me is unknown.
    Therefore I will try to see in my history phone. Let me check.