Driving in the rain | FerrariChat

Driving in the rain

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mechanical Dad, Oct 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm curious on everyone's thoughts about driving and older car in the rain. On the 21st I'm going on a small drive (150 miles) with a local car club and it's rain or shine. I have an 82 mondial which I have done quite a lot of repair work to since getting it last year. I'm planning on taking a day and checking it over of course before the drive, but is there anything you guys do if you know you'll be driving your cars in the rain? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Make sure the wipers work - contrary to most opinion here your car won't dissolve in a little rain

Jaguar36 likes this.
  3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    New wiper blades are a good idea.
    I don't drive in the rain, but have been caught a few times a few miles from home.
    Yes my wipers worked but it occurred to me the blades might be original ;)
    20 year old blades don't work that well.

4. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Put Rain-X on your windshield, side windows, backlight and outside mirrors. In fact, do this to all of your cars.

tonyswfla likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    One of the greatest driving experiences I had in the 456M was driving out of Roswell, NM in a pre-dawn thunderstorm, headed west on US 60. The car handled great, and I wasn't driving timidly. Having replaced the stock driver's side wiper arm with an F430 unit that didn't hit the hood (Typical Ferrari fault), I had zero problems, and the lights are fantastic in the rain. Very exciting with all the lightning, and as you can see here, the car didn't melt, and the sunrise was glorious.

Wiers, wipers, wipers. Ferrari wipers hardly ever get used, so make sure they are in top shape. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalcQV, eyeman1234 and Mechanical Dad like this.
  6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    It has new wipers and I've been caught twice but only for about 20 minutes or so. They're slow but they work. That's one area I'll be focusing on when I'm working on it before the drive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If one drives in central Florida, one will get caught in the rain. It's not a big deal so long as tires and wipers are in good shape - the worst of it by far is thoroughly cleaning the car afterward.

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Rain should be fine.
    But avoid road salt, as an 82 predates the galvanized steel, and the steel the Italians were using back then isn't the best.

I've driven my 328 in both light and heavy rain. My window gaskets are fine, so no leaks.
    But the wipers do struggle a bit with heavy rain.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I drove 2 days of a 3 day drive from Texas to West Virginia in 2" per hour rain on near slicks.
    Other than the white knuckle effects, it was fun. Filling up in 2" per hour rain is not fun, though.

10. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the replies everyone!. I'm looking to avoid any breakdowns as mine will be the oldest exotic on the trip. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it as much as possible so this is another test I'm sure it will pass.

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Be careful with traction. If you're running track focused tires I would be extra careful.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Depending on your tyres and the road surface, watch for aquaplaning. If it happens, don’t panic - in fact, generally don’t panic!

Taking corners in the rain in these older Ferraris can be fun, but aquaplaning is never fun, and newer cars are much less susceptible.

I haven’t driven a Mondial but older mid engined cars in the rain in general don’t love it when you lift off the throttle, or indeed do anything sudden. In my experience.

Have fun.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Carry extra fuses.

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wipers, and make sure the windows go up.

Only issue I've ever had was when a window switch decided to crap out and I couldn't close the passenger side window.

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes be careful and check all those things. Having a real hood helps a lot too. On a Mondial, if you can, get a bottle of dielectric grease and hit all the connectors you can reach in the engine bay. Or even electrical tape some of them. I had done 2 long trips in pouring rain in my 360 spider this spring and then the alternator and cable failed in the summer. I had to wonder if the rain made a difference but it was a known fault with the system. I would need the new cable anyway for the better crimp.

Just drove it again in the rain last Sunday on a date. Traction control works well. The computer will control everything even in full manual ASR off. Shifting and the whole deal. the only thing I don't like is new rattles behind the drivers door near the drain tube and some ticking when hot at idle. It may just be the new alternator belt or tensioner. I pray it's not a header. Power is fine and sounds great with my solenoid disconnect for vales open all the time. I just wonder about the grill top rear engined cars. But go for it anyway ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Anyone WAX there windows.....all of them?

If your car is garage kept and you wipe it down after use..especially in high humidity areas....you will notice the results while driving in the rain....TADPOLES.

I have driven in a deluge at 60mph (new tires....yokohama's avid ascends) and don't use the windshield wipers.....the windows and windshield look like tadpoles.

Wax the windows and windshield first. If the windows are that bad, use 3M Rubbing Compound #05973 (about $25 to $30) then wax......then touch it up with some detailer every now an then.

C50 likes this.
  17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    On an older car I'd just want make sure the weather stripping hasn't deteriorated...had an old corvette with rotted weather stripping, rain water would pour in and lead to some interior corrosion.

I personally hate driving my car in rain for 2 reasons: 1) traction 2) I hate having to re-wash the car again afterward lol

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    People don't avoid driving in the rain because the cars can't handle it. They avoid driving in the rain because the vast majority of people can't drive decently when it's dry. :)

tomc, thorn and eyeman1234 like this.
  19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ...and the post drive detailing gets pretty tough after a rainy drive!

20. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    We get rainstorms completely out of the blue here in summer, so I've driven through plenty of rain. GTS stays dry inside with the roof OFF provided you can keep above 80kmh. Driving on wet nights is truly miserable though...

21. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    About 15 minutes after buying my 328 in North Carolina I got caught in a raining-hippos-and-elephants rainstorm, rather than a "cats-and-dogs" variety one. I drove to Dallas in off and on rain all the way. Since then I've been in rain several times...

... most recently I'd been on a road trip to South Texas and was just approaching Dallas when another "hippos-and-elephants" event happened. It quickly passed but traffic was, now, at a dead crawl..... guy next to me motioned for me to lower my window, which I did, and he said, "Bet you wish you were in something else!"

To which I replied, "Nah, I got one of the rare ones... it's got windshield wipers."

Enjoy your trip.... I love driving my 328 rain or shine...

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    MalcQV likes this.
  23. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Put nice drip towels where you and passenger can reach them for your knees for the A pillar drips, and take a good outdoor car cover for when parked at night and raining. (Keeps the rain a bit out of engine compartment, fuse box in front, Ecu in trunk, etc. )

We did 1200 miles in the 86 mondial a few years ago for a fun trip and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again any day.

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've been in the rain in everything from a 308 tp a 348 (at the track), to an F40 and a CS on Corsas. They work fine. Don't melt, and the Corsas worked fine. Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well the weather for the drive is supposed to be good as of today but thanks everyone for the advice and stories!