Any early GTs still used privately for Grand Touring ? | FerrariChat

Any early GTs still used privately for Grand Touring ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Other than organized events like 250 GTO anniversaries, C1K, MM, TA, etc. do any, let's say 250 or earlier GT series Ferraris still get independently/privately used as intended, Grand Touring ?
    Out of town weekend trips ? Road trip vacations ?
    I'd imagine or hope there must be at least few owners that dare.
    Has anyone attempted to compile a list of those, if any, that do ?
    All I'm looking for is simple yes or no from those who know.
    Please refrain posting any debates or opinions whether or not they could or should, etc.

2. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, TTR - I don't know if you consider my 330 GTC early enough but I use it for daily driving.
    Also, I take it camping, to model airplane contests and on vacations.
    I drive it locally to the post office, shopping and general errands.
    It is coming up on 185,000 miles.
    On November 8th, I will have owned it for 42 years.
    I'm the second owner.
    Bob Z.

supergrilldds, mcimino, -CD- and 2 others like this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes Bob, I am aware of your endeavors and have great respect for your ability and willingness to use your 330 in such fashion.
    I'm also aware of few Daytonas and have heard of couple 275GTBs having been used on occasional (private) road trips, etc. in recent years and therefor narrowed my question to earlier, 250 and older series models.
    I have some older vintage cars of my own, ranging from early 1930s to late 1950s that I've used in past decades and continue to use for road trips and vacation travels, etc., but should I some day be able to afford an earlier Ferrari GT, I sure would want to use it as intended.
    Actually even more so, there are several makes/models of pre-war European GTs I'd love to to have before any early Ferrari, but those too appear to be out-of-reach for me at this time and likely forever.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I saw a Lusso parked on the street in Cannon Beach, Oregon last summer. Didn't appear to be on any organized tour...

I have to think that if you own one of those cars, why wouldn't you use it for some trips? I take my 365GT (not a 250, but close) on weekend trips all the time.

TTR likes this.
  5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    mcimino and TTR like this.
  6. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    I know that someone here in Holland, who has at least 6 different 250's and a 275 uses them frequenly. He also invited friends for a trip in Holland. I was lucky to see some of these cars in my hometown... Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and -CD- like this.
  7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There was a picture posted here recently of a guy driving Miles Davis' old Lusso out on the Italian autostrada. He was smoking in the car too. If that's not using it the old-fashioned way, I don't know what is!

mcimino likes this.
  8. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    Yes...330GT from NH to: Newport RI, Maine Coast, NH Coast, Boston (multiple trips) and whenever/wherever else I can..all done this season
    Regards

TTR likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #9 TTR, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks for all these replies. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with interest in this.
    My thoughts exactly.

I'm aware of your travels too Matthew and I commend you for them.
    I'm going to take a few days in couple of weeks to drive around central coast of California wine areas with a friend coming to visit from Europe to reminisce a "Pinot Noir Tour" we did few years ago.
    Being that he's a life long (vintage) car guy, automotive journalist & documentary film maker, needless to say we're taking one of my older rides, just like last time. Life's too short for leisure travels in boring rides, which to me means just about anything made in past 40+ years.

I expect this to be more common in Europe anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I saw it, although it didn't necessarily appear quite the old-fashioned GT traveling I'm wishing to hear/read references to. To me, it looked more like a commuting or "going-out-for-a-spin" kind of driving, but I could be mistaken.

Glad to see you're using it as intended. Thanks.

Daytonafan likes this.
  10. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here's mine parked in the Homewood area of Lake Tahoe's West Shore. It spends some Summers up there and can be seen cruising around the Lake or out into the Sierras. I try to use it (though not quite like Bob) - it runs better if it gets exercised regularly. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perhaps not early enough for consideration but I use my 1971 365gtc4 regularly.Great touring car. My wife and I have taken numerous trips with zero issues.Mike

TTR, davemqv and Daytonafan like this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks to all of you for sharing:
    Glad to read it's being used.
    We stayed stayed with some friends at Incline Village for a week in early July few years ago, hiked various trails around the lake every morning, but unfortunately didn't have any vintage car to enjoy drives at that time. Next time we will.
    At least one 250 so far :)
    Would you care to share details and/or extents of some recent travels ?
    Glad to read.

It seems many 330s & 365s are being used more extensively than their older siblings.

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Just one wonderful gentleman tracked his 330 at the recent national rally here in Aus - hero! Sadly, only about 5 sixties cars turned up to the rally, out of more than 100 cars, but we onl y covered a couple of hundred miles, mostly on highways... Too many have been sold overseas or warehoused as 'investments'. Just 5 years ago there was a great turnout of GT cars for a 3 day rally here that covered a good few hundred miles (maybe 15 cars, just from memory); I hope those days may be seen again...

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I would love to see early GT cars being more in "as intended" use, but it seems like their rising values have forced them out of the reach of real car guys and in to those who view them merely as investment commodity.
    Sad reality, if you ask me.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm not convinced of that. I think what you are seeing has more to do with the people who read and post in this group-- there aren't a lot of 250 owners here.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I understand that, but I do get out, attend events and visit collections, etc. and my observations from it all has lead me to think along my stated lines. This is also why I think many of the early cars have ended up in the hands of owners or (investment) collections whom couldn't care less what some of us enthusiast think about these cars, unless we are to offer them an opportunity by providing a reasonable return for their investment. I also believe this why Classiche has become so prevalent part of all this in the past decade or so.

I can't tell you how many times in recent years I've been to collections, events or shows and encountered vintage car "owners" who are barely able to recite spoon fed/rehearsed lines about the merits & specs of their car(s), some even failing with their acting of enthusiasm about the cars.
    Unfortunately, it's been on the rise for years and saddest individuals seem to be those who get that horrified look on their face when asked about how much or often they enjoy the car by driving it "as intended". :eek:

17. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    What about you Cornelis?
    Hope you're keeping well.
    Will

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Things have definitely changed in the 15 years I've been a member of the club - thee were always a small group of 60s cars at any event; pretty rare these days for even 1 to turn up at local level.

19. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Montana 1500 miles in September

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #22 TTR, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Super cool, but am I right to assume it was part of some organized event (decal on the door), not private travel ?
    Still cool, though. I hope you get to do extended independent/private travel with it occasionally.
    And that's an earlier than it's coachwork suggests, right (brakes, tires/wheels & steering placement) ?
    Thanks for sharing.

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    It's 212 Inter 0147E rebodied in alloy? in the style of a California Spyder.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    From October 1951 until the year 1962 Chassis 0147 E was a 212 Inter Vignale Coupé. It was then rebodied by Piero Drogo’s Carrozzeria Sports Cars in Modena with a body resembling a Ferrari 250 GT California Spider.

Marcel Massini

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    mcimino likes this.