Bloomberg: The Glut of Private Jets Means ‘Insane’ Bargains for Buyers | FerrariChat

Bloomberg: The Glut of Private Jets Means ‘Insane’ Bargains for Buyers

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by vinuneuro, Oct 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Every time I even think of buying a jet, I pinch myself.

Purchase price is just the start...

CW

2. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Yup. For me purchase would be a premier 1 or a mustang, but indeed, two engines, burning 160g an hour, inspections etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    just talked one of my good friends out of a G4 ... $4m for the purchase had him all excited and the broker was telling him telling him about the pot of gold to be had by chartering it out. "fly private for free" was the main "selling point" ....

$1m a year if it never leaves the ground is what we told him....:) :)

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    "Glut of private jets" is a very broad term. There are a few types that the manufacturers can't build fast enough. The rest will be boat anchors. This article is addressing the boat anchors. Don't buy a boat anchor.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Some plane owners wish their plane had the maintenance needs of a boat anchor!

:)

Matt

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My buddy texted me a pic a few months ago of a G2 (maybe G3) that was left at a local airport in Maryland near him and it was sold for scrap. Some guy bought it for around $3,000 and he was going to take it back to his place (wings removed) and turn into a man cave. Not a bad idea...

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The fall in used aircraft pricing has multiple factors.
    - Tightened financing ability on aircraft older than 10 years
    - The cockpit upgrade requirements. $80,000 to over $150,000 for ADS-B out just to be able to continue flying in North America. Expect that the outcome from this will be a lot of parted out older aircraft.
    - Upgrade for North Atlantic operations that can require major cockpit replacements at $500,000+. Older avionics have no upgrade paths without complete replacements. Figure any large cabin jet is owned so it has the ability to make these flights.
    - Uncertainty on what more cockpit mandates will be coming along that will create even more problems for older generation cockpits; to some degree there is concern that even current generation could have more problems.
    - There was a bubble of order and production of new aircraft. Some of those were flipping positions.
    -That the article is citing deep discounts on G450s as an indicator of a general market condition is wrong. 450s and 550s have announced end of production run dates. Of course they are heavily discounted to incentive taking the last of the line versus "latest and greatest". Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, happens each time Gulfstream does a new replacement model.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The pot of gold for the charter is for everyone except the aircraft owner.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    G2s are pretty much worth whatever the aluminum is worth, and the engines might have a bit of value... I would think that would be more than $3,000, but maybe if it wasn't easily transportable from where it was parked, it could go that low.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I found the old text and pic is attached (hopefully it is). He said it was a GII looking back at the text, which yeah is the cheapest/worthless one of the lot.

Not easily transportable as you can see...that pic was taken in the back roads of Maryland after he moved it off the airport tarmac.

Attached Files:

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    ^^And to add to that, I would now like to get a scrap G5 when/if they get that low and turn it into backyard mancave. :)

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Can you find out the serial number? Want to determine if it is one that I worked on.

13. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    G5s still have life. Based upon a conversation at the NBAA last week, suspect that they will be an upcoming Nextant project.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That photo is from June my friend randomly took, but he is pilot for SWA and maybe he took another photo of the tail # for fun...I'll ask him. If not, I'll ask him what airport it was moved from and someone can contact them if they would like.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #16 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    He said there was no tail # on it and likely deregistered a long time ago. He told me it was from Hagerstown Regional Airport and I found this article that matches it:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=458f5978-ec12-4e03-8732-45460f01fd4d

The one in the photo is N33PJ, but the livery is different from the photos of the one being transported and may just be a file photo of a GII as the credit at the bottom is wikipedia (that wiki page doesn't have that photo anymore if it ever was there).

Edit: Another photo https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/politics_and_government/transportation/man-hauls-wingless-plane-on-interstates-from-hagerstown-airport-to/article_dc35d6cd-e741-5805-a0c7-50f9d29a6a3e.html

Edit #2: The engine cowlings and tail were reinstalled at a later day as my friend's photo is from June and the interstate photos are from December.

16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    That should make it s/n 57 which is not one I was ever involved with.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

More info on just about every GII...

http://geetwos.blogspot.com/search/label/N300RD

Was the demo aircraft for the Stage III Technologies hush kit for the GII. Lost out.
    Stored at Hagerstown.

That's apparently it's third 'N' number.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Pretty sweet website. Not a bad deal to score the 3rd ever GII for only $3k and make it a mancave in the yard.

It appears the 1st ever GII was upgraded to have a glass panel cockpit...awesome! It was taken out later and the original put back in for the museum. http://www.rapp.org/archives/2013/10/first-gulfstream/

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've wondered why the G's had relatively long landing gear legs...

But did a search some time ago for the Grumman G I... and it needed them for prop/ground clearance. I think they used the same design gear/fuselage on the G II, etc. etc.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think that's one of the things that make the Gulfstreams so nice looking compared to short and stubby legs like on the Challengers. Also similar to how it makes the Concorde look better than the Tu144 (imo) and 757 to the 727 and 737.

22. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    This thread reminded me of several YouTube videos I saw earlier this year. Here is the G2 being towed down the highway and into the guy's yard.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice videos! That reminded me of GII N945NA that was used as a shuttle trainer by NASA. I saw it fly over KSC for the STS-133 mission (this is a pic I took, but the tail # is better seen in another shot I have https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/C11_Shuttle_.Trainer.JPG).

I saw it sit at the Birmingham Airport for years and it finally moved to Huntsville via semi-truck not too long ago. They chopped of the entire wing and landing gear portion and reattached it later: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000608.html