New 488 GTB with the check engine light on. | FerrariChat

New 488 GTB with the check engine light on.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jonathan488, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonathan488

Jonathan488 Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Brownfield
    Hello! This is my first thread. A friend recommended me to this site.

My Father took delivery of a Ferrari 488 GTB on Tuesday of last week. When we started it up last weekend, we were surprised to see that the check engine light was on because it is a brand new car. We immediately called the salesman. He said that there is nothing to worry about, and that when you leave a 488 sit for a couple days without being connected to a battery tender that the check engine light goes on and stays on until the battery fully recharges. It seems really odd that battery would loose that much power in only a couple days, but ok... It is great excuse to drive the car for a few hours. Unfortunately the check engine light was still on after the drive.

Is this a typical Ferrari experience? Or should we be worried and insist on taking the car back to the dealer.

Thanks for you help!

of2worlds likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It is possible your car was not fully charged on collection and then you used a load of battery playing with settings and learning controls

Fast forward a few days and the battery could be soft - many threads evidencing this possibility as a cause of your CEL in the 488 & California (car) sections

It may not have cleared because the low battery triggered something else so especially as it is only a few days old have it checked out

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You need to take it back to the dealership and have them diagnose why the light came on. Unless the battery was already very low on charge, It should be able to sit for much longer that a couple of days before a fault is stored due to low battery voltage. The dealership will know if that is the cause of the light coming on when they download the fault memory.
    Salesmen typically know very little about the actual functioning of the car. You need to contact the service department.

racerdj, taz355, f355spider and 2 others like this.
  4. antigravityresearch

Oct 28, 2010
    I agree with Motob; if the CEL is on, take it back to the dealer. If you just took delivery of the car, tell them that and they should see you right away.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Bring it to the dealer. You can also attempt to read it with an OBD2 code reader.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Talk to the service department, not the salesman.

taz355 likes this.
  7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Absolutely go the the dealer; also a good opportunity to meet and bond with the service department.
    But I would in parallel buy an OBDII reader; they are cheap and you can learn a lot. And it seems all Italian breeds kick these codes (my 458 does, so did the 360, so does the new Alfa)

of2worlds likes this.
  8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Get one of the little bluetooth ones and you can watch all kinds of cool stuff on your phone.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just take it back and have it fixed. Warranty is a wonderful thing..

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My driving buddy has a 488 also and he drives it only on the weekend if its not going to rain. I just spoke with him and he has never connected it to a charger in between
    In 6 months of ownership he's also never seen a check engine light.
    As mentioned above, that salesman only knows how to sell a pretty car. Take it in