Looking to find owner of 69-70 365 GTC Ferrari serial number 12391 | FerrariChat

Looking to find owner of 69-70 365 GTC Ferrari serial number 12391

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ambirskye, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ambirskye

ambirskye Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    amber gibson
    Im looking to find the original engine of my family's 69 365 GT NART SPYDER. It has been sitting in the garage for 30 years and we are now trying to sell it. Problem is we need the original engine. The Ferrari that has our engine in it is a 69-70 365 GTC serial number 12391. I hoping he would prefer to have his original engine back as well. Any help on how to obtain the owner's information would be greatly appreciated!

2. jimlt4383

jimlt4383 Karting

Sep 1, 2006
    You need to post this in the vintage.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You are talking about 12181 which in 1988 was sold to Harry Gibson in Fountain Valley/CA.
    Gibson showed it in 1990, 1995, 1997 and 2013 at least four times at events in CA. It was also featured in Forza Magazine, issue #130, in December 2013. It has not been sitting for 30 years. I have seen it several times since 1990.
    12391 lives in the greater NY area.
    Here's a photo of the engine number, the engine you are probably looking for.

Marcel Massini

daytona355 likes this.
  4. ambirskye

ambirskye Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    amber gibson
    I guess I shouldnt have been so literal. I only know of the one article written about the car, I assumed it had been sitting the remainder of the time. Thank you so much for the information, can I ask where you got the picture of the engine? I know the car is titled in Colorado, so NY is surprising.

5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    365 GT NART Spyder sounds interesting. How about some pics and history please?

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    How on earth do you know everything like this Marcel, I don't think I've come across a thread where you haven't been able to interject and had either a picture or documented notes on a special car from the past. Fantastic.

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Here is 12181 twenty years ago on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
    This car was born as a stock standard road car 365 GTC Coupé Pininfarina and completed by the factory 25 Feburary 1969. It had four owners in Italy and was exported from Italy to USA in the 1970s. The car was then in a fire and remained stored for many years. In August 1977 the original engine was swapped.
    In about 1987 it was privately (not factory) CONVERTED into an unusual "Spider", in USA, with large air outlets in the front fenders and a hood scoop, plexiglass headlight covers, new door handles, air intakes below the front bumpers, rubber seal on windscreen, outside competition type fuel filler cap in the center behind the rear screen, painted red with black interior and black soft top, NART enamel badge on the left rear.
    Harry D. Gibson III bought it in 1988 with the wrong engine.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

davemqv and daytona355 like this.
  8. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Marcel could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you :)

daytona355 likes this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahaha. If I called him 007, he'd just tell me what car that is, who owns it, and what time the car goes to bed at night!

davemqv likes this.
  10. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    It probably has something to do with the fact that he has been at this for around 50 years, attending every event of note in that time, building a network of contacts sans pareil, has a very enquiring mind and has invested a small fortune in acquiring archives! Easy really!

davemqv and Ferrari27 like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    All correct, except that it was a HUGE fortune invested.
    Thank you John.

Marcel Massini

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Marcel, thank you for posting here! I really appreciate your posts.

davemqv and daytona355 like this.
  13. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    So do I!
    I know lots of people do and everyone should!

davemqv, johngtc and daytona355 like this.
  14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. Me too. You're very generous with your knowledge and that is very highly appreciated.

Thanks Marcel!

johngtc likes this.