355 challenge rack | FerrariChat

355 challenge rack

Discussion in '348/355' started by Yassa, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    For those who have driven both stock rack and PA pump vs challenge rack and PA pump. Is there a noticeable difference?

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    yes. challenge rack is pretty amazing and noticeably quicker even at lower speeds.

I like the challenge rack better.

If you have access to one - go for it.

Robb

Qavion likes this.
  3. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Ya I managed to find a brand new one and was wondering if its worth the install.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Probably not.

Please forward the info so I can be sure to not accidentally purchase it :D

Yassa, taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have one on a street 355 and definitely quicker. I think because of that some of the dead feel is gone. Install is a pain though.

8. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Ya that's what I remember reading too that the install is a real pain. Did you upgrade the power assisted pump to the challenge pump also?

9. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Lol, I meant I found one and bought it...
    I just remember reading it was a pain to install lol

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I figured as much! I think it will be a good upgrade. Going to do the engine out on my car this winter and trying to decide between a challenge rack/pump or manual rack. I think challenge rack is probably a better choice. Unless woodward or another race company can build one as a close to direct fit solution.

It does not look easy to change.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Quote:
    Lol, I meant I found one and bought it...
    I just remember reading it was a pain to install lol
    End of quote.

It is an absolute ***** of a job, requiring the same skill level as removing the engine on a 355. Unless you really want a "challenge," don't take this on yourself. I can count on less than 1 hand the number of people on this board that has done this job. And I know of no one that likes this job. It will give you a sense of Italian engineering stupidity at its finest.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yeah center drive LOL

Woodward all of them can do what way you like. Personally I like really quick steering way quicker then the challenge rack and go manual.

I'm not a Ferrari Flag waiver I would get the best thing for the job, woodward is much better choice, more options to dial it in.
    A simple bracket will get anything in that spot and make for much faster R/R in the future.

I love to butcher stuff

:)

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Yes I have the Challenge pump

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Understatement !

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    My F355 Challenge has the Challenge rack and pump. But it also has 2000 lb/in F and 900 lb/in R springs, slicks, Challenge height/alignment, Challenge anti-roll bars and the various Challenge suspension parts so I can't give an accurate description of how the Challenge rack and pump would feel in a stock F355.

I've read that the F355 Fiorano has the Challenge rack. I'm not sure about the pump.

16. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I think Fiorano pack was anti roll bars and ecu...not sure the rack was part of it. I have all the challenge anti roll bars so this could be a nice mod. Just need to see how much labor will cost :eek:

17. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I

Yassa and Robb like this.
  18. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    The fiorano has the challenge rack with 2.2 turns lock to lock. It makes a huge difference to the driving feel in my opinion. It also has challenge suspension ecu, thicker anti roll bars, lowered springs and a few other bits I can't remember at the moment.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think you guys should get together and document the pump and rack. I would find a good rebuilder like atlantic enterprises and have then take apart a street unit and a challenge unit and document the differences so that in the future you can get the challenge parts rebuilt. Sometimes there are simple things that make a difference like the size of an orifice that changes the fluid dynamics. It is also possible armed with this data you can convert street units to challenge units and solve a long standing issue with the feel of the 348 manual rack vs. the 355 power rack an issue that goes back to the 1st 355. Even the challenge hoses might have features that can change the "feel." So the whole system needs to be evaluated. Also, these are wear items especially if raced. The last thing you want is some guy to rebuild your challenge parts like street parts.

ShineKen, 308 GTB and Yassa like this.
  20. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Who supplied the steering racks? ZF?

21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Ya springs are also on the menu... Motons and Ohlins are expensive options but ive heard nothing but good things about both. The challenge setup would be another good option.

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    For the track, not for the street.

23. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Yeah, I've read there are different spring rates for the challenge springs... Stiff and stiffer .. If i recall correctly, I dont know how those compare to the Motons or Ohlins, which are more street friendly I'm told.

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Challenge stuff go light spring for street
    Honestly I would go Penske or ohlins on a scratch build with 3 inch springs with ball joint mounts for tire clearance or geometry change
    Make sure you get all your bushings set before you try to calculate springs and damping

I'm like @308 GTB my challenge car on the street is extremely painful and will break something if you keep driving it. Yes its that stiff back those street setups down a bit to avoid damage to the cars structure

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Challenge Springs

Stiff: 1800 lb/in Front and 700 lb/in Rear
    Stiffer: 2200 lb/in Front and 900 lb/in Rear

Mine are 2200 and 900. My shocks were rebuilt by Delta Vee and revalved for these spring ratees and Challenge ride height and alignment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login