What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 58 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great, is there a big improvement with respect to rear visibility? Where did you find the replacement unit?

2. thoke

thoke Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Ridgway CO
    Full Name:
    T.Hoke
    The housing was was made from an RP part, finished and painted. LED light unit is from Truck-Lite.
    Main purpose was to improved visibility through rear window and reduce the blind spot in rear view mirror. Approximately 14mm height reduction from OE unit.
    Bit more info here http://www.coroflot.com/THoke/Ferrari-Parts

speedcat likes this.
  3. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Received the CAT bypass pipe from Fabspeed. It's almost weightless! No gaskets included as I asked for. Only received nuts but no bolts.
    Will see if it fits tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login yesterday... got the car home after the national rally, gave it a nice tub and rub down, then tucked up with little sister keeping watch over her:)

5. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
  6. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Correction: No gaskets necessary but I expect paste would be a good idea. Bolts with sleeves and springs are probably unobtanium so save yours at all costs.

7. thoke

thoke Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Ridgway CO
    Full Name:
    T.Hoke
    RP part available here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/thoke
    LED part number: Truck-Lite 92100

8. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    First part of CAT replacement was to remove old CAT which required removal of rear belly pan, valence, and muffler.
    6 bolts for CAT each consist of a bolt, 2 washers, a sleeve, and nut. The materials seem to be a low grade stainless steel.
    You will need all of your dexterity and socket attachments to fitness the CAT off.
    I used a rotary metal brush to clean all hardware and coated with WURTH film.
    NOTE: the 6 copper nuts supplied by FABSPEED were the wrong size. No surprise as they had done this before with a CAT bypass pipe I bought for an 87 Carrera. Why can't these guys get this right!
    I will use WURTH exhaust paste prior to installation. No gaskets are used in this application.
    I hope to complete this installation tomorrow.
    The BIG revelation so far is how ffffing heavy the muffler is. I can't help but think how a low weight muffler might affect the handling of the car. Must look into this.

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Spent 6 hours in the saddle today on a 300 mile blast in and around the Catskills in upstate NY in search of new roads and found some great roads and spectacular scenery.

The 308 performed faultlessly and I had no issues driving all day. It's actually quite comfortable. Definitely a case of the faster you go the better the car feels. The misfire has gone, the exhaust leak is fixed, the popping and cracking on overrun is now back to its usual burbling. Life is good.

Archer911 likes this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Today I...
    1. Tightened the door lock tumbler in my driver's side door, which had loosened to the point of no longer working, and reassembled the door.
    2. Repaired a minor rip in the piping on my leather door card.
    2. Replaced the mirror adjustment switch, which I broke yesterday.
    3. Topped up my transaxle oil which hemorrhages about a litre per year (actually, it was only down about 300 ml after 6 months).
    4. Swapped out the stock dryer hose connecting the CIS unit to the intake plenum with a nice aluminum one.
    5. Stared at my instrument cluster a bit to try to overcome the fear (unsuccessful) of pulling it out to convert the bulbs to LED and install the oil pressure gauge modernization kit.

Tomorrow, I'll probably do more stuff. Maybe even begin installation of Hella Supertones. Baaaaap!

thorn likes this.
  11. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Drained transaxle fluid in my '87 today. Awaiting 5 quarts of Redline MTL for refill. Hoping this will improve the gear change.

12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    What a difference a day makes.

Today I had to recover the car with duct tape and 70lb fishing line to make a hand throttle after something broke somewhere between the throttle pedal and the carb linkage.

300 trouble-free miles yesterday. Less than 6 miles today before complete failure.

Attach fishing line here:

And pull for revs

I made a nice ergonomic handle out of a roll of electricians tape.

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Finished my planned work:
    - installed Hella Supertones (mounted them inside, behind the battery; they are still plenty loud).
    - installed a battery maintainer quick-connection cable on the battery.

Car is back on the ground.

15. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

great idea !

a fishing line will get into my "things to carry in case of emergency" bag :cool:

16. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Dropped in on the Portola Cars and Coffee on Sunday and then for a short mountain-top drive afterward. A bit wet in the early morning but turned into an absolutely beautiful day.

17. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    New cam pulleys and belts

18. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Began replacement of cam belts and tensioners.

19. John Lommets

John Lommets Rookie

Sep 14, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    John Lommers
    Drove my FF to work. Used the SNOW setting due to the first snowflakes this season.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I recognize the SF Bay, looking west to east. But where, exactly, was the picture taken?

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's on Skyline, I think somewhere between Alice's and 92.

billboboy likes this.
  22. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    New fuel filler hose

23. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Installed my capristo level 3 exhaust it is unbelievable! Not too difficult to install, just have the right tools and patients. Pay close attention when reinstalling the bumper and GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU WITH THE BUMPER!!! Can’t do it alone!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

thorn likes this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The car spent nearly a month on jacks, mainly due to waiting for parts.
    • Bought several more tools
    • Axles: Replaced 1 CV joint that shattered during disassembly. New boots, new grease, new transaxle seals (Ferrari Bedford kit... David, you completely rock!) Horrible, physically difficult, messy job. CV bolts were far too loose, are now torqued to spec. Also, I hate Oetiker clamps.
    • New timing belts, new Hill bearings, new accessory belts. I think the alternator and AC belts need a bit more tension, and will address next week once I figure out how to adjust the homemade aftermarket non-tensioning AC bracket.
    • Replaced pathetic-hackjob-repair timing tensioner bracket. Confident new bracket will not fall apart at some random point and destroy my engine.
    • Discovered car has already been converted to R134. Will investigate further in the Spring to return AC to working condition.
    • Replaced 2 hoses on the coolant tube you have to remove to do the belt change.
    • Repainted the intake ducts with flat black, to cover some old red overspray
    • Pulled heater core intakes, scrubbed shiny clean & new. Vacuumed crap out of fins, and replaced disintegrated filters with new mesh
    • Replaced missing foam strip over radiator with new foam. Car is definitely running cooler in city traffic conditions.
    • Repaired & repainted small spots of surface rust on lower air filter housing
    • Tightened connector nut at the steering column/rack. Steering noticeably tighter, but I believe the rack bushings may still need replacing at some point.
    • Rerouted parking brake cable to compensate for aftermarket exhaust interfering with proper function
    For what it's worth, 95% of these were "first time I've ever done this". My grateful thanks to all of you that have posted threads, tutorials, and advice that made it possible for me to complete all these tasks.

Car is definitely running smoother now, was obvious even when I started it up cold and was listening to it idle. Driving in this mild winter climate with the heat on and the top off is truly a joy. :)

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello together,

After years on the shelf I finally installed Dave Helm's great tank crossover hoses today.

The twenty years old Gates hoses didn't look too bad, but feel somehow suspicious. More like chewing gum, than reinforced rubber.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Aircon likes this.