Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 294 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    If you look to the photos in the paperworks for the QV, its all about the early Downdrafts and shows pictures of the Carb engine, and carbs by themselves, not the FI engine and system.

2. I'm guessing that certification didn't come until 1988?

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Application circa the summer of 1987 by when at least 200 examples had been built (to qualify for FIA Homologation), certification granted January the 1st 1988.

EarlyCat likes this.
  4. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim

Careful there are some good technical reasons why what he says may be right. The QVFI has a shorter duration cam which will optimise cylinder filling at a lower RPM. It also has longer runners for the intake ports. Longer runners aid cylinder filling at a lower RPM. If these features are optimized right I would expect the FI to be a little stronger in the mid-range. Most people feel a car with a stronge mid-range is more forgiving to drive. Don't get me wrong we are only talking a slight over lap in the torque / HP curves at mid-range RPM. Those features on the QVFI are also the reasons it does not make as much power as a DD. The DD will always win a drag race if the cars are stock.

Cheers Jim

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I made it back where I can access my files.

I found out about the FIA Homologation well after I considered the Countach Downdraft to be very special, let's remember I owned my first Downdraft 30 years ago when nobody discussed such things!

I had been tipped off about the existence of FIA Homologation for the Downdraft a while back, but it wasn't till 2015 that noted Lamborghini Historian Dottore Stefano Pasini introduced me to factory Chief Engineer (responsible for the QV's engine) Luigi Marmiroli. A pair of true gentlemen, by the way. The latter affirmed it's existence and gave me the simple reason why the Downdraft was picked by the factory - it was the most potent version.

Actually getting the FIA Homologation papers was a noteworthy story, as I was bounced around from country to county!

I started with the FIA offices in France, who after much deliberation insisted I go through the National Sporting Authority of the USA (ACCUS)! After understanding that I just wanted the FIA papers and didn't want to actually vintage race a Downdraft, Robyn Jones @ ACCUS took pity on my seemingly lost cause and pointed me to Liz Roach @ the FIA in Geneva, Switzerland saying she could probably help. Liz Roach said she couldn't help at all as the file hadn't been requested in 30 years (!) but suggested that perhaps the Sporting Coordinator himself would consider my request when he got back from vacation. I waited till Louis Quiniou returned and personally telephoned him to plead that he uncover the file and scan it for me. He agreed - if he could find it. A week passed and I got an email that the file had been found, but, it was sixteen (16) pages long! I pleaded any scanning costs would be paid. I waited some more and then I got an email a week later with a large file attached. To say I was excited would be an understatement! I recount this story to underscore that as I always try and do, I went direct to the source, and received the documents directly from the FIA themselves.

Actually, I don't mind saying that I'm a little bit proud that I persisted and brought these papers to light for the first time in 30 years as posted on page 1 of this thread, and, no matter what the naysayers say they are worth, they are priceless to me! The story of getting them is simply one of persistence which I've shared with my family, friends and clients and just thunking about it makes me love the cars a bit more. To me its one of the most important things I have discovered as a Lamborghini historian, and that's saying something. So, yeah.

I have an original file safely stored away, and here below is the relevant page (11) showing the engine used in FIA Homologation # B 291.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

cnpapa24 likes this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Understood, but I think we already know the answer to this one as far as stock unmodified factory-original cars are concerned. Anyone can "optimize" or modify an engine just so, but we are always talking about standard unmodifed units, otherwise the discussion is pointless.

As I said, in the interests of an objective discussion, I reached out to Ing. Luigi Marmiroli for the original factory performance data sheets for both the Carburatori and the Inezione versions of the L507 V4 engines, so we can compare.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7332 joe sackey, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Louis Quniou, thank you again for your kindness (he didn't even charge me for the scans).

Meanwhile, if you are a Downdraft owner and wish the entire file, email me directly and I will forward it.

8. I don't think we are really talking about which car is more drivable or better. Overall I think a fuel injected car is a better driving car, for most conditions. The FIA certification is the topic of interest, at the moment anyway.
    It's just for fun, at least for me. I think it's a given that catalytic convertors and the factory box mufflers are a disadvantage. I would guess, somewhere a dd was fitted with them to pass some epa test, and ran like a pig. My old Ducati was like that. So was another old truck I had. I couldn't get it to pass an emission test unless I made it run like crap. Barely drivable. Timing retarded, gas treatment etc. After I left the place I would set everything back. You had to, it had no power otherwise.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7334 joe sackey, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Having driven them all I'd say I'm not sure about that, here is my contrarian view - a Fuelie is a good driving car for most driving conditions, but a well-tuned Downdraft is better in all driving conditions.

I base this on not inconsiderable recent experience with both variants. I feel that there is nothing like the sharp throttle response of a carbureted Countach throughout the rev range, and the more explosive performance of the Downdraft is especially noticeable if you get out of a Fuelie and into a Downdraft. It makes the latter even more of a joy to drive.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  11. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Hey Joe, my son is an honor student. I have the document to prove it. That makes him smarter than your kid who isn't.

Ridiculous...

12. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Your turn. Beating a dead horse. Knock yourself out.

13. Haha. Just playing devil's advocate. My Countach is carbed. There is a plus on either side...but we all know that.

14. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No doubt,carbs are sexy,just get a kick out of the endless box muffler,cat/emission thing. wich is the point of this comparo. Anyway,have at it,

15. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    You all take this discussion so personally. There's a reason.......

If you like the FI for whatever reason go start a thread there and talk about it. The simple fact you keep showing up here in anger and frustration is telling.

16. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013

And it might just be true for other reasons beside the piece of paper. After all they had to prove something to get it no??

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    No anger,no frustration(poss sexually) just a fair comparo on even terms, no cats,no box muffler, thats all, and a stop watch, nowhere to hide, ( not shure reg you ,and anger,seem to jump really quick once i post) all fun and games.

18. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris

Exactly, Joe can’t grasp the concept of emissions equipment. He refers to mufflers as same as emissions..

This thread was created to discuss the virtues of the DD, anyone who contradicts the odometerless test driver, is simply doing so because they don’t have a downdraft.

The argument has never been whether an as delivered DD is faster than as an as delivered fuel injected . The DD should be quicker. The argument has always been that the DD tested was Not laden with 4 catalytic converters like the U.S. cars. Strap converters onto the DD, then see how much power it makes.

Just ask “Vale”.

19. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    #7344 Ellagirl, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2017
    Dude, you just encouraged another 2 complete pages of how non informative, un educational our pst are.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7345 joe sackey, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    With all due respect to the obvious greatness, usefulness and whatever other attributes the Fuelie Countach may have, with the passage of time as tastes evolve and become defined in the car world, it appears to me that perhaps I should stop resisting the obvious and just accept that Countach & Carbs are meant to be. Countach & Carbs go together, as my daughter says, like Cars & Coffee, Stars & Stripes, Nuts & Bolts, Bread & Butter, Thunder & Lightning, Lock & Key, Fish & Chips, Heart & Soul, Time & Money, Bonnie & Clyde, wait, Bonnie & Clyde? .... help, somebody please stop me! :D

Exactly!

What part of "if you don't like what you read turn the page" do grown men not understand? :rolleyes:

That said, I would love to see a dedicated Fuelie thread where Fuelie owners can go and commiserate ;) er, I mean go and appreciate their cars, but the fact that nobody bothers to start such a thread may possibly speak volumes as to how much they appreciate their cars.

Just saying.

Talk about someone making our point perfectly for us! Absolutely hilarious :D

I thought you specifically said earlier in this thread with great vehemence & conviction that stop watches were meaningless? :rolleyes:

Allan, all you do is continue to show yourself up ;)

You'll find that I have a long history over the past 25 years with understanding emissions equipment involving F40s & Countachs.

Clearly, you are clueless as to the difference between a speedometer and an odometer, as the former and not the latter is what was in-operational for a literally a few days, but I realize random erroneous statements are your stock-in-trade :cool:

The argument you have about modifying the Fuelie to work better is your argument, perhaps you can have that argument in the upcoming Fuelie thread you'll be starting. The bottom line is a Fuelie is @ 415 on the bench and the Downdraft @ 455. The Fuelie is @ 5.8 to sixty and the Downdraft @ 4.8. The Fuelie is @ 160 terminal velocity and the Downdraft 180. That's the difference. You already know the Downdraft is the most powerful Countach variant, the only FIA Homologated Countach variant, and the only Supercar with its engine configuration. Excuse me for repeating all these things, but so far as you come on here soliciting a response, I'm happy to oblige.

Look, your continued presence here is completely redundant, and let me help explain why, since you appear a bit confused about this:

1. Your presence here underscores that we have a special thread, the contents of which are both interesting & valuable, so by being here you are simply validating this, which I know you'd rather not do ;)
    2. If this were not the truth, you would focus on your Lamborghini chat site and other things, leaving no time for this pokey little thread.
    3. You don't own a Downdraft so you're not a member of the Downdraft Owners Club (DOC) so you have no vested interest here.
    4. You claim you don't want a Downdraft after earlier stating that you did :rolleyes:
    5. I don't believe that you don't want a Downdraft for one second, but let's play devil's advocate and accept your most recent statement at face value, then, all it does is underscore that your presence here is both redundant and a waste of your time!

As President of the Downdraft Detractors Club (DDC) :D your mission statement appears to be: 'if we can't have a Downdraft, let's hate on them'. Meanwhile your members are earning a terrible reputation in the car community, all the while creating more & more interest in the Downdraft. Cleary you have time to waste and are happy to waste it here and boost the thread's views, so be my guest, you know I will always be ready & willing to engage in fair debate with you.

On the other hand, anyone (including you) who is positive or at least neutral about the Downdraft will be embraced here, whether they own one or not, and you can't say fairer than that! :cool:

Exactly correct, you said it, I've never seen you make a single informative post, be it historical, technical or otherwise, in fact I've never seen you post a single image, illustration or useful piece of text, all facts, it's your choice to maintain or change this.

That said, I'd be lying if I didn't confess that the members of the aforementioned Downdraft Detractors Club (DDC) are not partially responsible for the @ 375,000 views this thread has had in just 2 years, and I daresay the fuss made over these cars is causing a lot of people to become interested in them - ask me how I know. So ultimately I must thank you for coming on here, and perhaps there is truth to the saying that 'any publicity is good publicity', after all this thread was unashamedly started to Champion the cause of these cars.

Meanwhile, much more importantly, it's bedlam over here, Lewis Hamilton just helped McLaren Mercedes do it for the 4th straight time!!! What a drive. 62 GP wins, wow.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    88.5 in dark metallic blue (not Blu Acapulco), grey leather interior with blue dashboard and steering wheel, stunning.

Anyone know this car?

22. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    This is the DD thread and as such I agree that this is the place to celebrate the carb QV as it should be. Its great to see all the info etc that Joe, Harry, and other owners have posted here. The USA F40 has its own dedicated thread and I see no reason that the DD can't as well.

If there were threads for the 400s and 5000s I'd follow them with interest as well. However, we already have a great thread dedicated to the Countach!

A 40bhp difference does not translate to a 20 mph gain on the top end. It's also well established that a DD can clear 183 mph without a wing.

This is what a stock QV does EVEN with it's cats, headers, and bumpers.

I've always felt that the Countach is in its ultimate form with 44 DCNF carburetors and a good exhaust. However, I'm realistic as to the difference between the carb and FI cars. One is the euro spec and one is the USA spec, as is the case with most cars. Both are the 4 valve Countach.

ijvpet likes this.
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7348 joe sackey, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Well said.

Let's talk about threads.

There are many model or variant-dedicated threads and they serve as resources for those cars. For my part alone, I have started and maintained threads some of which have existed over 10 years, for the Miura, Countach, 25th, Downdraft, 288 GTO, F40 etc and judging by their participation & views I daresay they have been useful & valuable to many people.

I think people should go ahead and start threads in the cars they are interested in, as opposed to going on threads to vent their frustrations about cars they claim they have no interest in. Its not only rude and pathetic, it makes no sense. There are one-make or one-variant threads that exist in the Lamborghini section that cover cars that I have no interest in, so I stay off them. Negativity here can expect one response. Meanwhile, I really think someone should start a Fuelie thread to create a venue for those who love those cars to enthuse about them happily ever after.

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California