air bag light?? | FerrariChat

air bag light??

Discussion in '348/355' started by hjp, Oct 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Last evening while I was driving my 355 Spider on an errand, the red "air bag" light on the right side of the instrument cowl came on. Its never been on before. What is this telling me?

Some history. The air bag was recovered by the previous owner just before I bought the car and I have had it out of the dash while removing/installing my refinished AC vents. However, I was very careful not to disconnect its electrical wire connection on advise from Fchat (I think it would have generated a light [THE ONE NOW????] that only a dealer can shut off????). The battery was also shut off too.

Advise? What's the consequence of ignoring it and just leaving it on?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Can't say why you have a light other than some fault. Worst case in ignoring it would be that the air bags don't deploy in an accident.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Jerry, did this include not disconnecting the plugs on the instrument binnacle? The airbag system also knows if the airbag warning light is not connected. If the binnacle plugs are not connected and you turn on the ignition at some point during your refurbishment, the airbag warning light will come on later (when the car is back together again).

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Do we know this 100%? I recall Grant mentioning it. Jerry - you need a Ferari SD or Leonardo to reset an airbag fault. But, you also want to diagnose the fault. Maybe I should unplug my instrument cluster under power and see if I get a fault. Given I have an SD it's no issue.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes this is true.
    Pain in the butt but still true

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just to clarify... Are you saying it stayed illuminated after startup, but not appeared half way through a trip? If it came on half way through a trip, we may have to offer other theories.

7. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Unfortunately I didn't know this. The cowl was disconnected entirely and at one point, the power was turned on so I could move the seat. NUTS!!

8. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    If I'm remembering correctly, I noticed it right away after I started the car and backed out of the driveway. I remember thinking "What the heck is this about?" I'm pretty sure it was on from the get go. But I've driven the car several times since getting it back operational a month or so ago with no light. Why now all of a sudden?

9. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    If all it needs is a reset, great! But my problem then becomes where. There is no dealer here in KC. However, one of the service sources here may have what is needed, I'll have to check around. Its called a "Leonardo"? Is this the only thing that works?

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jerry, the best tool is a factory SD. A Leonardo may work. That's the only options.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    @Dave rocks can you here me test test beep beep of the tag feature

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I saw the post Tim but no other notification :)

SoCal1 likes this.
  13. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    So guys, with all that's been said, is this the consensus? All I need is a reset from a factory SD (or maybe a Leonardo) and the light will go out?

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    cool just chaecking the tag option put @ then the username to notify that person

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jerry, it all depends. If the fault was triggered due to an electrical connection being disconnected under power, then yes. But, if you have some other issue sending the fault signal, that will need to be connected. Here are some screen shots of the airbag ECU taken via my SD2. Thake a look at the first error page - it shows "LAMP" as an error. That maybe the lamp in the instrument cluster Grant is talking about and if you scan yours for errors and "lamp" is lite, that may confirm the fault. I'm just too busy now or I would unplug mine and check.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, you need the SD X to check the fault. If it was juts because the dash pod was disconnected, and it is now connected, then a reset should do it. If there is another fault you will need to correct it.

edit: Dave, you beat me to it.

And yes, the lamp error is generally the dash light. It's telling you the light circuit is open, as in burnt out bulb or disconnected. You will find a similar fault for the CEL.

17. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but if the dash light is burnt out how would it light up to warn the operator of the vehicle? :)

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, I guess I'm trying to understand what fault will be recorded for disconnecting the instrument cluster under power. Based on you post, "Lamp" would mean a blown bulb, not a disconnection.

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No theres plan b

Send it to your fchat buddy Dave and for a nominal fee he can reset it.
    Then when you do your stickies hes your man.

Or ship it to a dealer they charge 100 bucks

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I guess i should read first
    Maybe not the problem??

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Actually, Jerry - Grant is correct. If you ship me your ECU, I'll read and clear the faults by installing it in my car. You just need to give me time as I'm very busy.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I would expect that the ECU looks at the lamp circuit and expects to see a current draw when the lamp is supposed to be on, like at start up. Disconnected or burnt out lamp, either way, when the lamp is supposed to be illuminated, but the circuit is open, the ECU will not see a current draw triggering a lamp error.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Hey Dave, you could do the same thing for my HVAC ECU, no? I think you need another 355 that you can use just for testing/resetting air bag and HCAV ECUs, and maybe ABS ECUs too, and maybe main engine ECUs. People can pull their ECU and sent them to you. You can install them in one of your (working) cars (you need both 2.7 and 5.2), read the codes, reset them and send them back with a list of the trouble codes found. You can call it ECU Rx RRR service: Remote Read and Reset service. (I want 15%) :)

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey John - I sincerely have a better idea:

You are retired, bored and nursing that bady toe - how about you design me a test rig so I can power up these ECU's on a bench? I think the biggest issue would be sending all the proper inputs to not cause other faults.

taz355 likes this.
  25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It ends right there...