Valet trouble | FerrariChat

Valet trouble

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Morgan72301, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login went to high end hotel to valet my 458. Paid extra for them to leave her out front untouched. Came back to find that my car has been moved because they were very busy. They had also given back the money I paid to leave it there. They brought my car up and I was anxious to get home so I tipped the guy and headed home. Right away I noticed that my "low tire pressure" light had come on. Jumped out in middle of city to check real quick. Tires looked ok so I headed home fast to give entire car a look over. When I got home rear passenger tire looked a little low. I looked a little closer and saw that my rim had been hacked up. Called hotel and very calmly explained to them the what had happened. They having security look into it and will get back to me. Any advice going forward would be appreciated. I realize it's not he end of the world, I think I'm pissed because they were dishonest about situation.

355dryva likes this.
  2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It is always such a stress! Sorry to read this.

May the Horse be with you....

3. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, love the avatar. Gave me a flashback to some great memories as a kid.

Condor Man likes this.
  4. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Most valet companies have insurance for this and will pay for the rim repair.

Usually you get it repaired and submit the invoice to them and they send you a check.

Don’t be too stressed. At least it’s not body damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgan72301 likes this.
  5. fastmover

fastmover Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2009
    NA
    It’s a simple fix that should cost around $100-$200 and will look the same as new. It’s not worth getting stressed about.

6. lanpa8

lanpa8 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    Next time you pay extra make sure you bring the keys with you...sorry about what happened

Melvok likes this.
  7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Good thing is that those wheels are actually a pretty simple design and finish - just straight up powder coat or paint, no special machine finishing required.

Worst case scenario, you are out of the car for 2 days and you have to pay $200-$300.

Of course, that still sucks. Try to get security footage from the hotel. Most likely, the hotel and the valet guys are actually separate companies. The hotel can help you out with contact information and the aforementioned security footage, but ultimately, you'll have to deal with the Valet company.

8. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    I preplan all my trips and never let anyone else park it.

m3doc and Shack like this.
  9. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    As do I. There is always high end cars parked at this hotel, that's why I chose it. They were adamant about me leaving the keys with them. How hard should I have pushed for keeping keys with me?

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I hit a pot hole and did a lot worse. It's fixable pretty easily. Yes a hassle and disappointing but this can be made as good as new.

Melvok likes this.
  11. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    I would not look back at your decision making. I think you did what any of us would in this situation. As other have mentioned, this is fixable. Hopefully the hotel will make good with you in some fashion by either paying to fix it or putting you up in one of their suites.

12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Simple solution - never valet your car!

13. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Was either that or parking garage. I figured this was better bet considering what a high end hotel it is and all the other super cars I see parked out front. Lesson learned. Still waiting on security. They said last night they couldnt see anything on video (of course). I'll request to see video next but don't expect them to oblige. As I stated, I know it's not the end of the world. I'm just furious at the dishonesty. I know that car inside and out and am 100% sure it was done on their watch.
    Getting tire fixed in an hour and have appt with Ferrari nov 1st. Getting her yearly service at same time so I can at least kill 2 birds....

14. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Agreed! Never ever valet my cars... there are more bad stories than good ones when it comes to valeting.

To the original poster... you never know... the valet people may have taken your car for a joyride and caused the damage that way.

Recently my wife had her Chanel's sunglasses stolen out of her car when she valeted her car.

If a place insists on parking my car for me and won't let me do it myself and I don't get to keep my keys I am not going in!

15. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious. Which hotel?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so sorry to hear about this. i would be stressing too until the rims were perfectly fixed. really no excuse for this even if they are in a hurry. its a 458 for goodness sake. i've had my rims repaired and you can't even tell the difference. looks like new. best

17. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
  18. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sorry this happened to you, but, as others have said, it appears to be a straightforward and inexpensive repair. Still, I know how frustrated I'd be, so you have my sympathies.

That said, it's absolutely fundamental: never give a car (any car) to a valet. I have long since established contacts with all of the valet venues in my area and simply email them when I make a hotel and/or restaurant reservation to let them know that I'll be in on a certain day and time. Some have VIP lots and others have reserved areas upfront, but all will allow me to self-park. If I'm surprised with valet "service" at a new place, I'll ask for self-parking on the spot and leave if they won't allow it. Also, nobody gets to hold the keys. Don't fall for the "fire lane" BS, either. If they want me to move my car, they know where to find me. Again, if they're unwilling to accommodate me, I'm unwilling to spend a penny at their establishment - and it only rarely comes to that.

m3doc, PhantomCypher and Afonsolaw like this.
  19. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    My sons best friend was a valet at the Hardrock here on San Diego, he would routinely drink at least a 6 pack prior to his shift. He has so many stories that would make you cringe. The concept of me handing my keys to someone I don' know so they can then move my car sometimes only yards away and I pay them for this is mind blowing to me. I don't let friends drive most of my cars why would I let someone I've never met do so? What's the problem with me putting it into a spot maybe 50' away then let me pay a fee for that spot? It a few occasions I asked if I could put the car into the spot myself and they reluctantly obliged but I paid the valet fee and kept my keys after telling them flat out I don't let anyone drive my cars. I haven't valeted my cars in a long time and I won't do so in the future unless forced regardless of how high end the place might be. As for this post - so sorry you're were the victim here hope it works out well fortunately it is the wheel but still that totally sucks... I highly doubt the hotel will let you view their video

20. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I have had stuff stolen out of my cars and seen the valet guys fight over who was going to drive my car... no way in hell would I let them ever touch my car!

iloveferrari and Melvok like this.
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed ! Never ever !

22. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Unfortunately you can't trust valets. Once I saw the valet at Caesars Palace in Vegas open a car door of a guests car into the side of another guests car (both were valeted).

I guess that guy wanted to damage two cars in one go for maximum efficiency!

23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've noticed a couple threads with the topic of "Do you ever let your friends drive your Ferrari?" and the answer is usually a resounding "NO."

Yet a valet gets the keys...?

Afonsolaw likes this.
  24. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    They didn't get mine Friday night, got some nasty looks and a shocked response when I told them "I'll park it myself you point to which spot you want me in as I don't hand my keys to anyone ever"

Corsair66 and Afonsolaw like this.
  25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The best way indeed :D !