US GP Austin 2017 - Pre race discussion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

US GP Austin 2017 - Pre race discussion

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    This aero **** is out of control, they need to re-write the regs now to reign it in.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    daytona355 likes this.
  5. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks better matte imho.

6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Nice pics Tim, thanks for sharing.

Local weather.

KXAN Weather‏ @KXAN_Weather 12h12 hours ago

Overall, we think weather will be fine for @F1 race weekend-- yes, maybe a quick shower Friday, but that 60% chance Sunday is early in the morning, brief, & not much rain. Sun should be out by race time, then breezy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    saw this the other day. To me it says " Ferrari needs all the "MARVELS" to "AVENGE" its WDC spot.:D

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks like an awesome line up off the track too..Stevie Wonder live whoa ,would be worth the ticket just for that.

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Wouldn't be surprised seeing lewis on stage with the great man ...so damn cool.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I hope Ham doesn't sing.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Too late..yet again :(

They should've done what I said in January: I predicted the new 2017 aero regs would be a flop (I didn't expect it to be this bad however, as it actually got worse than before). Employ a few GP2 cars and design a few different aerodynamic concepts on them. Longer wings (length not width), with fewer elements, clean up the body, try it with current floors and floors with venturi tunnels in them (to compensate for reduces downforce with less complicated wings). I'm sure if they throw a rock they'll be able to find a handful of competent drivers with nothing better to do on a tuesday that'll happily fly to whatever track neccesary and conduct testing and report back their findings regarding aerodynamic influences.

I'll bet my bottom dollar they'll find that cars will be able to follow each other MUCH more closely, really to the point of being able to stay within .250 of the car in front consistently. That's what makes exciting racing...cars following each other closely, putting pressure on one another, losing a place but still able to fight back the next lap....We'd be able to get rid of the horrible DRS. It's not rocket science.

FIA is run by a bunch of bureaucrats, they could've sorted their testing out within weeks including building several aero concepts, produce their findings to the teams and work on a solution for 2018, well before the May 2017 deadline. But no, they've first let the races run for a while before even setting a meeting DATE (let alone having the meetings!) regarding the overtaking issue, that was clear as day for anyone to see...And the worst part is? It's not even about the money. They can do the whole thing for peanuts, the financial return on a real competitive series is huge. What a shambles.

furmano, Ferrari 308 GTB and 375+ like this.
  15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    OMG, FP1 is in 3 hours. I better get some rest. The US and Mexico races really screw me up.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Quali is at 5 am for me, and race is at 3 am Monday for. Doubt i gonna watch any,

of2worlds likes this.
  17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm pretty disappointed how little F1 there is in town. 4 years ago they had a huge block party (like in Montreal) with lots of F1 cars on display etc. This year there is ZERO. I found exactly one street sign re: the GP and it really was more about Timberlake and Stevie Wonder than the race.

When I checked into the hotel they asked me what brought me to Austin. Like that is a question. Then again it seems to be a fair one as there are more College Football fans in town than F1 fans. It's depressing.

It'll be Montreal again for me next year. At least they appreciate their race.

hairy_scotsman and of2worlds like this.
  18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    That's are real shame.

If F1 wants to grow, the US seems to be the first and foremost place to do so. A 2nd GP in New York or Detroit for instance.....

19. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Do you need affirmation that you are cool? It's a town of 1mm people and 100,000(?) go to the race......there are lots of reasons to be traveling there.
    Who is 'they' that hosted the huge block party?

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't know who hosted it but it was a blast.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So let's get ready to rummmbbeeeelll!

Or will it be the usual grumble ?

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Is it because the tickets are too expensive? How much is it when you want to see the qualy and the race from a place where you actually see what is going on?
    Are many Americans going to Mexico and how are the ticket prices there compared? Did the hotels raise prices for this weekend?

of2worlds likes this.
  23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

That insight is rather Indy-esque as Indy became less of an event.

tifosi12 likes this.
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't need a party to be cool. What I did love 4 years ago were real F1 cars on display and close enough to touch and get good photos (Ferrari, 2 RedBulls). There was also one of Vettel's helmets. Block party was probably organized by the city as many vendors were there. They also had one guy selling real historic F1 memorabilila.

All gone.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes and no. I think COTA realized this and moved the action to the track where there was definitely more than 4 years ago. But in the city F1 is a non topic. Even at the airport there is nothing. 4 years ago they had advertisements and F1 books/magazine stands. Our hotel back then had racing flags everywhere.