LED wheel a must | FerrariChat

LED wheel a must

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Zinger, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I have been searching for a 488GTB for awhile and found a new car (unique situation) that has everything I need BUT the led steering wheel and no lifter. Is the led wheel and no lifter a killer on resale if a 488GTB does not have them?

I previously had a 458 Italia with the led wheel but not sure I need it, I watch the tach….. and I never really needed the lifter…

Thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I think the LED wheel is a must. Personally, I also think the lifter is a must as well, but I suppose that's up to the type of area you drive and your personal tolerance for scrapes and road rash (I have none).

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Resale 101... Get a car with a CF LED wheel, lifter depends on your driving environment.

LVP488 likes this.
  4. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    It's a must only if you desire to have the tactile sensation of full Italian leather replaced by the feeling 0f sections of carbon fiber in epoxy resin.

5. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If the rest of the spec matches up, do it. Reading your post, you know already you don't need it. Is it a sporty spec or more lux? That would make the decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If the price is right get the car and have the dealer retrofit an led wheel for you.

Yes I think most buyers not all but most will want the led wheel but the good news is that it can be retrofitted .

Regards

Michael

7. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    LED wheel is very important for resale in the sense that it adds more than its cost to the resale value.

Lifter I'd say is a 50/50. It's an option that recoups a lot of its cost on resale (unlike say something like a carbon rear diffuser), but many people also feel they do not need it.

From my observations of the used 488 market, it seems 75%+ of cars are equipped with lifter, and 90%+ have the LED wheel. If those two are must have options for you, I don't think you need to sacrifice them!

Also, used GTB are below MSRP now, so there is not that much incentive to buy new beyond a few extra months of warranty and being able to spec it (which you can't even do in this situation).

8. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Neither the Mac, Porsche or the Lambo have LED's on the wheel. LED's on the wheel were "cool" 5 years ago. Now I prefer the solution in the 720S and Performante IMO. I havnt spec'd them in my new car coming next year.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I see your point, but to me, all the more reason to have the LED’s. He’s buying a Ferrari and the LED’s are uniquely Ferrari. I would say the same for fender shields. Now, referring to his concern about resale. If you’re buying with your personal taste as the only consideration then you should get what you like.

10. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    No LED on the wheel is a deal breaker for me and I believe for most spending 200k and above.

11. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

LEDs and the lifter are a must. I'm about to place an order for a 488, which will have the LED steering wheel wrapped in leather instead of C/F.

bberg009 likes this.
  12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    The lift is not a deal breaker for me... I would take a car with the LED and carbon seats over a front lift.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No LED is a deal breaker for me.

dustman likes this.
  14. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    I bought my car with no LED wheel, added it later. IF the deal is right, account for about 10k from Ferrari to add the wheel.

Shack and Afonsolaw like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Deal breaker for me with no LED.
    You can easily shift a 458 by sound.
    But looks cool and is unique compared to MC and Lambo which are lacking.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  16. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Thank you the input!

I passed on the car. I cant spend this amount of cash and pass on 2 important options that I had in my 458 Italia. I dont think the lifter is as important as the led wheel. The lifter is not needed but when you need it you NEED it for areas I may drive the car that I am not familiar with.

I am working on a allocation and may wrap this up today on a 2018 488GTB order. It may take 6 months to get the car but it will be worth it!!!

Fyi. 280k build +/- Rossa Corsa/Cuoio

I will have the led wheel and lifter :)

Ryan

LVP488 likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Well, that's the best option of all. I ordered my car and it was an amazing experience. I love knowing that they made it custom for me. So cool.

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I agree! I have had 2 preowned Ferraris, a F430 and a 458 Italia. This will be my first new Ferrari . Its been a long year for me but hard work pays off.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    LED wheel more important on 488 than 458 because you run out of revs more quickly and tach needle isn’t fast enough or easy enough to read to keep up with redline. While you can retrofit one, it will cost a lot compared to it just being included in another car of similar mileage and model year. I would just keep looking, which is what the OP did.

Same analysis re lifter. It can be done, but the retrofit cost will be more than the delta in price between car with and without the lifter.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The only time I use my lifter is when I need to open glove box and hit the wrong button.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My must have was the CF driver zone (includes the LED steering wheel). CF elsewhere I didn't care about because it can always be added later. Lifter I didn't care about. 458 nose sits higher then many of it's predecessors. I haven't had an issue yet and also installed the titanium pucks Fab Speed sells just in case.
    Now if the F355 had the lifter option? 100% a must!

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW

+1

23. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    The 430 also needed a lifter option but the 458 I found to have no issues as far is being to low in the nose.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I think the lifter really comes down to your tolerance level with regards to front spoiler scuffs and road rash. While I’m sure not all cars, it seems most 458’s without a lifter that I’ve seen have bottom damage of some sort. Many 458’s have skid plates or protective “pucks” as well, but I personally don’t like the looks of these things.

As for the 488, the dual layer front spoiler is more complex so I haven’t really seen protective options for it (though I’m sure there are some on the market). My tolerance level for lower damage is zero so the lifter was a must, plus I didn’t want any aftermarket plates, etc. applied to my car.

Zinger likes this.
  25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It is a deal breaker for most buyers ! :D

Afonsolaw likes this.