powdercoating interior trim | FerrariChat

powdercoating interior trim

Discussion in '360/430' started by Hypek9, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    Has anybody powder coated their aluminium silver interior pieces. Mine are in good condition but have a few marks here and there.

I just had my door panels sprayed at my panel shop and to be honest not exactly wrapped with the shine. I also believe it will scratch very easily. I have my interior all pulled apart to get them done but am now thinking powder coat would be a better option, more durable and less shine like original.

2. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Could be a way to pursue. The problem in my opinion is how to get the correct surface as per the original. Not only is it matte finish, it’s also somewhat rough...

One guy here on F-Chat removed all old paint, grinded the surface (perfect straight direction), and then added clear coat. Actually turned out very well.

3. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    A few years ago I did my 360 door pieces because of shoe scuffs that did not want to come off. I grit blasted them (black diamond grit) and brought them and a sample piece non-grit blasted to my local powder coating shop. He matched the color and texture exactly! I now wish I pulled all of the other pieces and had them all done. The powder coating is way more durable than the OEM painted parts. If the shop is 'good', they should be able to match the color and texture.

Good Luck!!!

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Just understand you can only powder coat metal parts.

5. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    Yes of course, all aluminium pieces at the powder coater now. I'll post some pics of the finished products once I get them back

6. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I really hope you have something going here...
    I too need to pay attention to my interior aluminium panels, you see and have found it hard to find the right way to fix them.

Keep us ”illuminated”

7. SED

SED Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    dbdreams, Bigilo, Mickster and 2 others like this.
  8. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    S’funny, but I have swapped out most of my interior ally pieces with carbon and I sometimes have second thoughts that I have done the right thing.
    I believe the whole concept with the ally pieces was to promote sportiness and simplicity.
    My ally pieces are showing a little sign of wear but overall are in great condition.
    Just thought I’d add my two penny-worth.

9. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    That looks really nice in matt black.l

I thought about the carbon, but I don't think it really suits the 360 that great, also considering the price difference. I would rather have all original parts refinished for a few hundred dollars than pay around $5k Aus for carbon

10. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Carbon isn't my thing personally, but I quite like the black look.
    If you do go ahead with the powdercoating and are able to match the colour well, would you mind sharing the RAL code please? I'm looking to do this myself

11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I like the alum pieces and personally like the contrast with the black leather.
    To me it says this is a no nonsense car, not a caddy and with all the other attributes; noise, harshness etc.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I personally like the all black look. I do like the silver too but some what prefer the black. I think you will find it difficult to get a powder coat finish with the low gloss level. Also, the lower the gloss, the harder to prevent mar.

13. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida

14. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    So do I!

Cheers

15. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    That photo in all black with white stitching looks incredible, should have been a factory option

16. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Can't wait.

17. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Took all my parts out and had finished using hydrographics.. Carbon fiber look with the oem fit. Plenty of clear coat for years of polishing if needed. I'm very happy with the results. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Why not just repaint with a satin or matte finish paint?

19. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    I'm extremely picky with my car and didn't want to rattle can spray my parts. Powder coating is extremely touugh so small scuffs and scratches should be a thing of the past

20. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I own a powdercoating shop and I have sourced a color that’s almost exactly like the factory color. Considering doing this for forum members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Could you let us know the code (for members not within wasy distance of you)?

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm no powder coat expert but I've had a few engine bay parts done and it's not just the powder, its the entire process.

23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    The parts need to be sand blasted and then likely walnut shell blasted properly. Then sprayed and baked at the correct temp to get a factory like finish. I spent a lot of time finding the right color powder. If we decide to start coating parts I won't reveal the color as it would decrease our business. If we decide not to offer it, I will reveal the powder. I just have to see whether a small number of parts is worth it for our business.

24. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    Got all my trim back today. Extremely happy with the finish, looks much better than stock or 2pac. Colour was precious silver pearl, slightly darker than original but looks great. Will post pics soon.

If anyone else is considering doing this, I highly recommend it. But first find a shop that is extremely knowledgable, the prep needs to be done correctly and the door pockets can be damaged due to the thickness if not done at a lower temperature.

25. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Anyone done all the trims in red?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk