488GTB now or never? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488GTB now or never?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Illogical, Oct 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But it also depends on the country. In Australia there are fewer than 5 second hand 488's at any one time , 5 for the whole of Australia

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My advise is to get one now! The 488 is captivating just staring it!

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. Illogical

Illogical Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    #28 Illogical, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    I'm still more inclined to make this happen than otherwise. The nearest dealer has a 2015 car with a ton of options that would have put it's MSRP over 280k EUR (that's 330k USD). It's a beauty and has all the right parts as well as being tastefully done:

https://www.maranello-motors.de/fahrzeuge/ferrari-488-gtb-ferrari-koeln/

They want 240k EUR (about 15% depreciation). Speccing up a new car with the essentials of Scuderia shields, LED wheel and the Goldrake seats puts me at 235k EUR.

So now I face a bit of a conundrum - what would the value of this model be in 2023 compared to a new car that five years later will have only 15tkm fewer on the odometer?

Would they possible be about the same if they were to be sold, or would the car with all the options command a higher market value despite the increased age and milage?

Obiously the 2015 car will have fewer years of the service package and reduced warranty - but I'm sure there are packages available to extend both. Still those costs/risks play a role in any decision.

Right now I'm thinking the 2015 car would make more sense for me and my intended use than a new order.

What would you do?

4. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Very nice example you are considering with that 488GTB in white. If you plan to get a heavy optioned car you will definitely save some money for sure going preowned. I chose to order a new 2018 488GTB. I specd the car around 282 USD so it is not to lean nor crazy optioned where I will lose my shirt down the road. I wanted the new car experience on this particular car… I am told 4-5 months for delivery.

MANDALAY, bberg009 and Illogical like this.
  5. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I chose to get a brand new car as I wanted to have the full experience and have the car exactly as I wanted it. Financially a pre owned makes more sense but my decision was driven by emotion not logic!

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MANDALAY and Zinger like this.
  6. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    A key must-have feature for us living in hilly areas, is the lift feature. It basically lifts your car 40mm higher when needed. I had it on my 458, but don't have it on my 488 and it results in areas I now have to avoid, such as oversized speed bumps in certain shopping areas.. if I spaced my car again, I would add the lift as a must-have feature..

Zinger likes this.
  7. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hi Zinger, A 282k price tag is good for a decently spaced out car. My spider came in at $357k, but it had some options I would not order, and some that I miss (I.e. The lift I covered above). So, it sounds like you have a great deal on your hand.... please post some pictures when you get the car, so that we have more we can drool over....

Zinger likes this.
  8. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M

Will do. I just placed the order last week so it will be awhile. 4-5 months possibly 6 at the absolute latest so I am told. It will be a fun journey seeing the car get built thats for sure!

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You are so lucky on that short and I mean short wait list. We are at 1.5 to 2 years :(

Zinger likes this.
  10. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M

I agree. I was real happy with the timeframe I just hope it is accurate!

11. Illogical

Illogical Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    I was also told about 6 months right now.

12. Illogical

Illogical Rookie

Oct 17, 2017
    So today I visited the dealer, my first time at Ferrari - what a great experience it was! They were really helpful and we went through all the important details as well as just talking cars. It was great and I'm more than happy to move on with this now...the next step is sorting out how best to arrange the finances. I'm hoping to have it all sorted before the end of the year, maybe even the end of the month (just the small matter of selling a GT-R right before winter...)

I'm back there tomorrow for a quick spin in a 488GTB - can't wait!

Some pics:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The basement was full of customers cars and trade-ins - an insane amount of machinery...I had to be careful not to show other peoples cars and number plates so just the one pic...I could have walked around there for days just being starstruck!

On my salesmans desk was this - looks like he's a fan of the 488GTB too.

100badboy100 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    awesome! go for it! You only live once.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That model should have been given to a new owner imo :D

LVP488 likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You are in love so we do crazy things in love! I wish you luck on your quest. However, your example describes a 2015 488 that in 2023 will be (8) years old. And this on a high production non-N/A car that will soon be quickly overlooked by the 488VS and then by its replacement within the time you specify. You are obviously very concerned about losing money so I'm afraid the relatively massive depreciation over the MSRP ahead will limit your ownership experience - on either year of the car you are looking at. But you are in love so hopefully you will remain so and continue to post about your ownership experience. Good luck.