And So It Begins: At Last | Page 2 | FerrariChat

And So It Begins: At Last

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's great cpmayor! You should post up some pics. I did finally have a chance to post some better pics of my baby. Still don't really want to drive her until I can get her to the dealer for a full going over. That light of the car with two triangles under the wheels is on (it first appeared when I first drove out after stroking the cheque), along with the speedometer not working. Possibility a sender issue? There is an oil leak from the cam cover on the driver's side (at least I believe it's the cam cover) as well. I knew about the oil leak and figure (hope may be a better word) it isn't that big of a deal as the car needs a major). I want to do a compression test and send the oil off for analysis for the sake of it, too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NeuroBeaker and Robb like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations Paul your 355 looks stunning.
    These are the best threads, enjoy your new baby.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Me too!

Great pics, the car looks very nice.

Robb likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's the suspension ECU fault. Note: If the car is started 3 times without being moved you will get that fault but it will also clear itself once you start driving it. Of course, if the system sees another issue you'll need an SD to diagnose. Congrats on the car - looks awesome :)

Robb likes this.
  5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Dave! When you mean that I'll need an SD to diagnose, what is that? A scan tool? Since this is pre OBD-II where do get one and where do you connect it?
    Finally, based on that information, is it likely that the speedometer not working is a separate issue from this? I always thought the car was a mechanical speedo so even if the car was 'off' it would still register a speed if one was going fast enough. Thank you for your help.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Paul, an SD is Ferrari's System Diagnosis (said different in Italian). The first is the SD1 and that is what the 355 uses. Later generations such as SD2 (which I own) work too. They are very expensive. They connect directly to each separate ECU within the car. I have a thread on it. Search or scan the last two pages of this section and you will find it.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Dave. Saw your thread. Very informative. If you ever find another SD1 please holler. I wonder if there are any substitutes?

I dig your wares. I'll email you some day and perhaps we can work something out if I buy lots of stuff. Some of the stickies have been addressed but not all. I want to ensure a fully matching set. My baby only gets the best. I saw your engine stand drawings- I think I might have to build that some day. I have thought about for years if someone could make some kind of frame to bolt in the car with caster wheels so that when the engine is out you can still take the car off the lift and roll it around. Thereby freeing up the lift and taking the stress off the flying buttresses.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks. I have an SD2 not an SD1. And, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but we have caster plate drawings too ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

http://www.**********.com/ferrari-f355-caster-plates-free-drawings/

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh so that what that was! I thought that was just some random drawing on what how to make the castor plates for the engine stand. LOL. However don't you feel that is still stressing the flying buttresses by not supporting more of the 'rear' of the car?

Perhaps I have misunderstood as well. The SD1 should be for the 95, pre-OBDII correct? SD2 is for later cars... but will it still work on a 95?

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nope - the buttress is supported just fine with the rest of the inner framing that the sub-frame bolts to.

The SD1 is the tool for all 355's (95's OBDI and 96-99 OBDII). The SD2 came out for the 360 but the SD2 has SD1 porting software which allows SD1 software to be used on the SD2 in PC mode (Can't use it in standalone mode).

The SD2 covers all the SD1 does and includes 360, 456, 550, 575 and Enzo. SD3 and up is needed for 430, etc.

11. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I use two bars that triangulate onto the rear frame whilst the subframes are removed.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I plan to do something like that when I ship my car for painting. But I've not had the slightest issue in the garage or moving the car around - it's very rigid.

13. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah I think the bulk of the stress comes from when you are putting it on a lift that the legs of the lift are a little bit more forward than where those casters are. But I am not an expert in the 355. Only been obsessed with it forever but only now do I have one. And it feels good.

14. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately, I have delivery guys, workers and customers come through that could possibly stop and lean on the rear of the car, that will kink the fenders so I cover myself best I can.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't know, Brian....I pull my car around by the inside of the rear panel, in and out of the garage...zero issues. The frame within the back end of the car is very rigid and holds the body panels very well.

PaulK likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats on the purchase of a lifetime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulK likes this.
  17. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Gorgeous car!!! Congratulations!

PaulK likes this.
  18. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Congratulations, Paul! I will be following this thread Your 355 looks great. Good luck and enjoy!

PaulK likes this.
  19. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful car and congratulations! Nice to see your enthusiasm for the car. 355s are truly special!

PaulK likes this.
  20. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you all so very much. It means a lot to have you post this. The journey has begun!

Got my first estimate- 15k smackers. Now to find people whom can do the dash. I'd also like to clean and recondition the leather. If anyone has any leather products, I am all ears. I just want the best. The leather isn't bad I think (admittedly I know little about leather). I might go with what the dealer says. Im a fan of griots garage myself.

Thanks again!

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the attachment and torque applied to to where it is attached my play a role in said cracking?